Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Westland Wyvern Project Thread.

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wyvernfan
    wyvernfan@gmail.com
    • Oct 2007

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the extra info. When I first looked it over you could see it was not 'as removed' so to speak. There is also a marked curve to it that told me it wasn't just an un-bolt job. By the way the "bit more of it" that you mention is/was the oxygen regulator panel mounted at the bottom centre, the slight curve for this is still evident.

But needless to say it is an original Sturgeon panel (and I dare say is now unique), the finish of the surface paint is remarkably similar if not the same as the original. If only for a before resto photo.

But one thing intrigues me, and that's the little information panel that sits above the far left fuel gauge. It's now painted over but underneath should be quite a bit of writing - what I don't know exactly. I'm half tempted to use some paint stripper on just this single section just to see if anything legible remains!

Rob
    Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan

Comment

• Air Ministry
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jan 2008

The painted over plate is the fuel system information plate according to the AP. I doubt we will have caused it to be painted over so I assume it already was?

The extra metal was a lot more than the economiser mounting but it's only a vague memory now. It might have been stuff on the back of the panel or from around it, I really can't recall. I'm not sure why we didn't replace the mounting as we had shed loads of the correct economisers to go into it. Perhaps it was left off to make it easier to display on a flat surface - I'll ask my chum if he can recall anything about it. It might still be on a shelf somewhere!

I've a feeling that parts of the panel would have been stripped back to bare metal, if only to aid the repairs. We learned the secret of crackle paint spraying after a few dismal failures - make sure the room and object to be sprayed are at the right temperature or risk disappointment. Halfords earned good money from us in those days!
      The garage that keeps on giving.

Comment

• Wyvernfan
        wyvernfan@gmail.com
        • Oct 2007

If the AP shows the wording I'd appreciate a scan for reference to the email address below please Alan.

Rob
        Facebook page

Comment

• Wyvernfan
          wyvernfan@gmail.com
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Air Ministry View Post
          I also seem to recall there was actually a bit more of it than you see now, but we had to be a bit "brutal" in reducing its bulk so we could tie it onto the small trailer that I took to the 'jumbles in those days. I don't know what happened to the rest of it but it was no more than torn metal and I expect we binned it.
          Photo showing a Sturgeon panel in situ (prototype I think) and I'm guessing the "bulk" that you removed was part of this front structure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	3668233

The Sturgeon cockpit was a completely separate assembly bolted onto the centre-section front spar (photo credit - Airfixtwin).
          Facebook page

Comment

• Wyvernfan
            wyvernfan@gmail.com
            • Oct 2007

Blue skies to a naval aviator

The project was very sad to hear of the passing of Lt Cdr George Barras MBE RN who sadly passed away in the summer.
            Part of George's flying career was with 830 squadron as a Wyvern pilot including flying missions during the Suez war, and many years ago when my project was literally just starting I managed to make contact with him and we exchanged letters (pre-internet days) where he described his experiences in the Royal Navy and what it was like to take the mighty Wyvern to war. And despite having never met me, George very kindly sent me all of his Wyvern photos and information through the post for me to use and copy. This I duly did, and during a family holiday in Cornwall we called in to his home down near the Lizard to return everything to him. Unfortunately we got our dates mixed up and he was not at home, and so we left everything with a family member to pass onto him.
            And although we chatted a few times afterwards on the telephone I sadly never got to meet this marvellous man who had helped educate me on the Wyvern and really given my embryonic project a much needed boost.

In memory of him here are two of George's photos, looking every bit the proud naval officer. The first is 830 squadron pilots and their AEO. George is seated front row second from the right between Lt Cdr 'Smokey' Cowling and Lt Stan Roddick. The second photo shows George at Hal Far in Malta and standing in front of Wyvern S.4 WL879 '127 J' (photos - courtesy of George Barras).Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5905.jpg
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	3670455Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5906.jpg
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	3670456
            Facebook page

Comment

• Wyvernfan
              wyvernfan@gmail.com
              • Oct 2007

Sturgeon

Sometimes it's the little things that make a difference with appearances, so a nice little addition is three correct 'compass correction card' holders for the Sturgeon panel.

~ Merry Christmas to everyone ~

Rob Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8725.JPG
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	3672230Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3568.JPG
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	3672231
              Facebook page

Comment

• TempestV
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Wyvernfan View Post
                Sometimes it's the little things that make a difference with appearances, so a nice little addition is three correct 'compass correction card' holders for the Sturgeon panel.

~ Merry Christmas to everyone ~

Rob [ATTACH=CONFIG]250322[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]250323[/ATTACH]
                Merry Christmas to you Rob,
                It's all the little additions like these compass cards that finish a panel.

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                  wyvernfan@gmail.com
                  • Oct 2007

Sturgeon

It's not very often I get to celebrate finding something relevant to the Sturgeon - but this Electro Hydraulics 8008 three button Flap control box was a welcome arrival today, albeit missing its faceplate. It was situated on the port side control panel.

RobClick image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1859.JPG Views:	1 Size:	220.1 KB ID:	3673834
                  Last edited by Wyvernfan; 7th May 2019, 16:55.
                  Facebook page

Comment

• No.2 A.A.C.U.
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Aug 2007

Hi Rob,

Always good to see some progress on the Sturgeon. Facebook page looks good and I will look forward to this years updates.

Kind regards,

Tim

Comment

• Whitley_Project
                      If in doubt apply heat..
                      • Jan 2000

Wow - that control box looks like a rare thing. Well done for finding it...

Comment

• smirky
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Oct 2008

Bottom left?, the build is creeping backwards

Comment

• davidq
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Feb 2015

Hi Rob,
                          I enlisted some help from you on page 7 for the model Wyvern I am building and I am here again. On page 2 you show your earlier canopy and mention some white material bonded to the inside. My canopy will be the later metal framed one but pictures show this white material was probably still utilized. I would be very grateful if you could describe this material regarding its texture and thickness, I am imagining it is some kind of early fibreglass.

Thanks,

Dave.

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                            wyvernfan@gmail.com
                            • Oct 2007

Hi Dave, hmm bit of a tricky one that as unless the canopy is broken it's difficult to ascertain exactly what the material is. But when I'm over my store next I'll take a closer look.

The later design of canopy does have a white outline marking the edge of the 'straight through ejection' Perspex - which could be some form of easy break material so the canopy doesn't provide too much resistance to the ejection seat, but as I don't know of any of this type of canopy surviving I can't say for sure if it's the same material.

Sorry to sound so vague but this type of later canopy has always remained a bit of a mystery to me!

RobClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3928.JPG
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	3675567
                            Facebook page

Comment

• Fouga23
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Jan 2006

From experience with canopies like those on the F-84, it is indeed a fibreglass material.
                              Magister Aviation
                              It's all in my book

Comment

• davidq
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Feb 2015

Thank you both for the replies, gives me something to think about. The ejector seat theory didn't occur to me at all. Rob your comment that the canopy would need to be broken to access the material is interesting I was assuming it was just bonded to the inside. In his book "Up in Harms Way" the writer of the Wyvern's Pilots Notes Mike Crosley mentions a double thickness hood so that ties in.
                                Yes another Wyvern mystery there have been many in this build, with a Spitfire even an individual rivets position can be sourced but the Wyvern is a shadowy figure in comparison. At 1/5 scale a presentable solution will be found although it's always nice to know how the maker of the full size did it.

Dave.

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                                  wyvernfan@gmail.com
                                  • Oct 2007

Dave, I had chance to take a closer look at the canopy today. I think Fouga could be right regarding the material used for the strengthening strips, although it feels more like a fabric which has a slightly rough feel rather than completely smooth, and these were attached to the inside of the canopy and not sandwiched between two layers as first thought.

For reference the material is around 1 to 1.5 mm in thickness and is 3" in diameter. Hope that helps!

RobClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3968.JPG
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	3675577
                                  Facebook page

Comment

• Fouga23
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Jan 2006

Yup, that's the stuff
                                    Magister Aviation
                                    It's all in my book

Comment

• davidq
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Feb 2015

Once again thank you both, especially you Rob for going the extra mile with the photo. I can now use some genuine material instead of an old shirt remnant that was planned.

Dave.

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                                        wyvernfan@gmail.com
                                        • Oct 2007

Its been a while since my last update, but the Wyvern rig has now swapped its bare metal appearance for a new 1950s FAA colour scheme of Sky and Extra dark sea grey on its cockpit sides. And we are very honoured to of been invited to attend the Ford Airfield Centenary Exhibition at the Yapton & Ford village hall and playing field (postcode BN18 0EY) in East Sussex on the 9th June between 11.00am and 4.00pm.

As some of you will already know - RNAS Ford, HMS Peregrine or RAF Ford as it was also known has a very rich and varied history, and this exhibition which is being organised by the Yapton & Ford Local History Group will include various displays and talks to help educate and celebrate this. Everybody welcome to attend.

The airfield was also of course the spiritual home of the Westland Wyvern in FAA service between 1953 - 58.

Rob
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by Wyvernfan; 31st May 2018, 07:28.
                                        Facebook page

Comment

• TEXANTOMCAT
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Mar 2004

That is absolutely superb! Well done!

TT
                                          Our Beech 18 & T-6@www.beechrestorations.com
                                          Visit Sywell Aviation Museum @
                                          www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/museum.php
                                          Sywell Airshow 17.8.2014

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X