Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Westland Wyvern Project Thread.

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TempestV
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Dec 2003

Nice work Rob,
    .....Another type back from the brink down to one man's determination.

Comment

• Wyvernfan
      wyvernfan@gmail.com
      • Oct 2007

Thank you, David.

The other job I managed to sort out was 'riveting' the left side skin on, which was achieved using airframe spec countersunk rivets - and not pop rivets to get the desired finish. This not only tidies up that side but also helps add some rigidity to the rig.
      The first photo shows the rivets only press fit for checking before the final stage. The spacing of the three rows are as close to the original as I could achieve without actual diagrams, and go directly onto the framework of the rig.

RobClick image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	3663981Click image for larger version

Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	3663982
      Facebook page
      https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan

Comment

• DH82EH
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jan 2013

Really nice!
        Well done!

Andy

Comment

• ian_
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • May 2007

That's looking very impressive!

Comment

• Wyvernfan
            wyvernfan@gmail.com
            • Oct 2007

Thank you gentlemen.

The E2A compass is currently held in place by a simple homemade bracket, but what I'd really like is an original as shown here. It's possibly the kind of thing that someone may have kicking around but not realise what it's actual use was!

Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	3663999
            Facebook page

Comment

• Wyvernfan
              wyvernfan@gmail.com
              • Oct 2007

Wyvern

For those interested the Wyvern project now has its own Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan It's basically along the same lines of this thread with obviously a lot of duplication as I know not everyone looks in on this forum, but will also contain photos and stories etc connected with the type.

Also as well as collecting parts I am always actively seeking photos etc that I don't already have, and just as the Wyvern is celebrating the 70th anniversary of its first flight this year I'm really pleased to have acquired a photo taken of the prototype TS371 as it lifts off from Boscombe Down for the very first time. And I plan on using it as part of a small display to help celebrate this at this years Newark Cockpitfest.

Rob
              Facebook page

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                wyvernfan@gmail.com
                • Oct 2007

Sturgeon

A recent purchase has allowed me to add an original instrument panel to the windscreen section from TT.3 TS480. It was virtually complete when I got it but had two or three incorrect / broken instruments for a TT.3 (which it appears to have originally come from) and these have been replaced except for one Rad temp gauge that I'm still looking for, plus there are a couple of other little jobs on it that I need to attend to in time.

As you can probably imagine this has fulfilled my biggest ambition to date for this project. And as the Short Sturgeon celebrates the 70th anniversary of its first flight this year in a couple of months time, it also seems very fitting to achieve this now!

Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	3668197
                Facebook page

Comment

• Gin Ye Daur
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Feb 2011

Rob,

Are you going to bring this up to Newark in June along with the Wyvern?

Martyn

GYD

Comment

• ian_
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • May 2007

They look great together. Well worth the investment. The panel looks immaculate!

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                      wyvernfan@gmail.com
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Gin Ye Daur View Post
                      Rob,

Are you going to bring this up to Newark in June along with the Wyvern?

Martyn

GYD
                      My plan is / was to just bring the Wyvern, Martyn, as I hadn't realised that this was going to be possible so soon.

Originally posted by ian_ View Post
                      They look great together. Well worth the investment. The panel looks immaculate!
                      I only knew of one of these panels out there and this is it Ian. Still pinching myself that I've actually got it!

Rob
                      Facebook page

Comment

• Junk Collector
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Aug 2006

Look great together, glad it worked out
                        Officially now a pensioner

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                          wyvernfan@gmail.com
                          • Oct 2007

I should imagine it was the late sixties / early seventies that this combo was last seen - albeit in a scrapyard.

Rob
                          Facebook page

Comment

• No.2 A.A.C.U.
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Aug 2007

Hi Rob,

Excellent news she looks great and hope to see her in the flesh one day.

Regards,

Tim

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                              wyvernfan@gmail.com
                              • Oct 2007

Cheers Tim. It would be great to display the Martinet and Sturgeon target tugs together some day

Rob
                              Facebook page

Comment

• CeBro
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Sep 2009

Rob,
                                Fantastic what you are doing with these extinct types.
                                Cees

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                                  wyvernfan@gmail.com
                                  • Oct 2007

Comment appreciated Cees. At least people now have some idea of the cockpit of "the most luxurious target tug"

Rob
                                  Facebook page

Comment

• TempestV
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Wyvernfan View Post
                                    A recent purchase has allowed me to add an original instrument panel to the windscreen section from TT.3 TS480. It was virtually complete when I got it but had two or three incorrect / broken instruments for a TT.3 (which it appears to have originally come from) and these have been replaced except for one Rad temp gauge that I'm still looking for, plus there are a couple of other little jobs on it that I need to attend to in time.

As you can probably imagine this has fulfilled my biggest ambition to date for this project. And as the Short Sturgeon celebrates the 70th anniversary of its first flight this year in a couple of months time, it also seems very fitting to achieve this now!

Rob[ATTACH=CONFIG]245492[/ATTACH]
                                    Hi Rob,

This was an excellent find. How did you track it down, and where did you find it.

Could it have come from this airframe, or can you trace which one?

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                                      wyvernfan@gmail.com
                                      • Oct 2007

Hi David, of all places it was listed on a certain auction site. The seller had bought it several years ago but was having to sell due to a house move. Needless to say it was an opportunity not to be missed.

As for the identity unfortunately neither he nor I have any idea as there are no markings (apart from the Shorts part numbers) but having said that there is of course a 1 in 28 chance that it came from the same airframe as the windscreen, as I believe it was originally a scrapyard find!

Rob
                                      Facebook page

Comment

• No.2 A.A.C.U.
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Wyvernfan View Post
                                        Cheers Tim. It would be great to display the Martinet and Sturgeon target tugs together some day

Rob
                                        Rob,

I fear I am along way off from that but never say never, both have a long association with the FAA so who knows......it would be fun.

Regards,

Tim

Comment

• Air Ministry
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Jan 2008

Hi Rob,

I wish I could tell you more about the panel but it came to us from one of the early 'jumbles. I can't now recall when or where but I do seem to recollect it emerging from the back of a big van or trailer. It was in a very sorry state, and obviously ex-scrapyard, as was most of the other stuff on the stall. Someone had obviously spent some time digging around in a yard but I don't think I bothered to ask which one and I always assumed it would be the well-known one where Sturgeon remains had been identified. In fact, there might have been other Sturgeon stuff in amongst it all - I seem to recall some big, single undercarriage legs for example. Who knows, perhaps that's where your screen came from too?

I had to make a snap decision as the "vultures" (we call them early tickets now!) were beginning to circle. I half-recognised the layout and just had time to think "two engines, single seat cockpit - Beaufighter!". It was only after getting it home that I realised what it was actually from - I'd already acquired a very good Sturgeon cockpit photo - and there it was.

The panel looked as though it had been wrenched or perhaps ripped mechanically out of the cockpit, causing a lot of damage in the process. I also seem to recall there was actually a bit more of it than you see now, but we had to be a bit "brutal" in reducing its bulk so we could tie it onto the small trailer that I took to the 'jumbles in those days. I don't know what happened to the rest of it but it was no more than torn metal and I expect we binned it.

The actual restoration is down to my chum. I very much doubted our ability to straighten and repair all the damage but he had social contacts at a certain well-known Aerospace manufacturer in Lancashire and the rest is history! I really wish we had a "before" photo to set alongside the current panel as it was a really impressive bit of work by someone with the right skills. I'm not even sure how it was done - repair the original or replace it, etc.

And it looks to have aged well too. It was probably newly re-sprayed when I last saw it and it had that unrealistic, well-used panel but with shiny new paint look to it. For the record, most of the instruments and switches will have been n.o.s. fitted by us as the originals were not fit for re-use.

It would be nice if the current clearout of garage treasure unearthed some more Sturgeon stuff bit sadly I doubt it will!
                                          Last edited by Air Ministry; 29th April 2016, 19:07.
                                          The garage that keeps on giving.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X