Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Westland Wyvern Project Thread.

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sopwith.7f1
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jan 2011

It's great to see the progress your making with the Wyvern. Have you had any luck finding the drawings ?.

Bob. T

Comment

• WV-903.
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Oct 2007

Nice progress Rob !!!

Sorry we missed you at Cockpit Fest Rob, but you are progressing the Wyvern really well, might catch up in Oct.

Bill T.

Comment

• Wyvernfan
        wyvernfan@gmail.com
        • Oct 2007

Bob. T - thank you for the comments. Several years ago I made contact with the late Fred Ballam at Westlands and arranged to drive down to view the archive. Sadly Fred passed away shortly afterwards. Following that I did make further requests to Yeovil but sadly nothing came of it. Thankfully Dave Morris down at the FAAM at Yeovilton was happy to help with my request re visiting and researching their TF.1 to help with my own project!

Bill T - cheers mate. Yes because of the rain I hardly got to meet up with anyone at Newark this year, but will deffo catch up another time!

Rob
        Last edited by Wyvernfan; 24th July 2015, 09:19.
        Facebook page
        https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan

Comment

• Wyvernfan
          wyvernfan@gmail.com
          • Oct 2007

Wyvern S.4

Rudder pedals are pretty much ready to go in. I only intend to apply some paint to the new brace bar supports as the ultimate aim is the 'in service' look rather than 'factory new'!

RobClick image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	3662947
          Facebook page

Comment

• Wyvernfan
            wyvernfan@gmail.com
            • Oct 2007

....and now the pedals have been joined by two heel / kick plates

Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	3662967
            Facebook page

Comment

• Wyvernfan
              wyvernfan@gmail.com
              • Oct 2007

As well as a couple of items needed to complete the instrument panels I'm also looking for a few extra items for when I can start the side control panels. If anyone can help with any of these I'd be extremely grateful;

Switch 5CW/4180 part no C1212Y push pull mk3
              ". 5CW/4194 part no X.M.C Dowty
              Indicator 5CZ/5074 magnetic type 5165Y mk1
              ". 5C/4361 magnetic type A
              Switch 5CW/1979 D.3501 4 way Rotax
              ". 5CW/2497 tumbler type B
              ". 5CW/4199 CX. 106598 Rotax D5501
              ". 5CW/930 tumbler x 5 needed
              ". 5CW/4179 tumbler changeover

I'm also still looking for the windscreen front section and the missing fuel gauge as listed in post #209.
              Thanks in advance.

Rob
              Facebook page

Comment

• TT18Timbo
                Rather fond of Canberras
                • Apr 2008

Crikey! They've improved no end since they left home!

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                  NAM volunteer-Plugmeister
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Wyvernfan View Post
                  Now that's an excellent idea, David, I wonder if Howard and Bill would be up for a 'Royal Navy' section - maybe next year?!

Rob
                  This was originally posted when I was in Crete, so I missed it – sorry!

The cockpit is looking great Rob.

A Fleet Air Arm ‘section’ sounds like a good idea to me for 18th & 19th June, 2016 – it might tie in with NAM's Buccaneer repaint into 736 Squadron markings! WOS might be keen as he’s working on that restoration project.
                  Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
                  Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                    wyvernfan@gmail.com
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by TT18Timbo View Post
                    Crikey! They've improved no end since they left home!
                    Indeed Timbo. And the beauty of it is everything can be unbolted and swapped over again!

Originally posted by TwinOtter23 View Post
                    This was originally posted when I was in Crete, so I missed it – sorry!

The cockpit is looking great Rob.

A Fleet Air Arm ‘section’ sounds like a good idea to me for 18th & 19th June, 2016 – it might tie in with NAM's Buccaneer repaint into 736 Squadron markings! WOS might be keen as he’s working on that restoration project.
                    No worries, Howard. The other ingredient that Dave Collins mentioned was Tony Dyers Seafire, so if you think the FAA section idea could be a goer for next year then I'll email Tony to see if he would be up for it too.!

Rob
                    Facebook page

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                      NAM volunteer-Plugmeister
                      • Jan 2006

I suspect WOS may be in PEPM (post event purdah mode) but I don’t see too much of an issue with something coming together as described – plus there are lots of other Fleet Air Arm cockpits around; a good idea by my way of thinking!

I for one am certainly looking forward to seeing the excellent progress that you’ve made, great job!

I’ve also had a couple of other conversations about projects that might possibly come to the event, which if they make it up to Newark could make 2016 another great year at Cockpit-Fest.
                      Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
                      Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                        wyvernfan@gmail.com
                        • Oct 2007

The more the merrier I say

Thanks for the comments. Progress has been good recently as I've had some free time but is now slowing a little as it's the more tricky to find bits that are proving elusive. But the instrument panels are basically as complete as I can get them for now, and having been painted and re-assembled are now back in the rig. Having the panels painted also allowed me to have a go at using Letraset for the first time to write the legends for some of the instruments. And having found a font type and size that seems close to the original I have to say I'm quite pleased with the results.
                        The support brackets for the rudder pedal cross braces are away being treated and powder coated and should be ready for collection by the end of the week. These can then be assembled for the final time and crossed off the 'jobs to do' list!

Rob
                        Facebook page

Comment

• ian_
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • May 2007

Looking good, Rob! Are you going to fit the stick too? Letraset! Truly a vintage restoration. Just looked for some on ebay and suprised how much is about. Just a matter of finding the correct font in the right size. You forget how easy CAD has made things. Gill Sans is a good starting point for wartime/50s lettering.

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                            wyvernfan@gmail.com
                            • Oct 2007

Would love to eventually fit a stick top, Ian, but that's assuming a control column turns up from somewhere to fit one to. Or failing that it might be a case of fabricating one from scratch.

Yes Letraset is a bit archaic in this day and age, but I didn't want it to look too 'modern' if you get my drift? Looking at contemporary photos the lettering is not perfect and there are discrepancies between individual aircraft regarding spacing etc. A couple of the words that I've done are not quite there but using this method I can also change things if they gripe me enough.
                            With the instrument panels I've plummed for powder coat in the hope it will be longer lasting and will help keep corrosion at bay. The instruments I'm using are mostly used and not NOS so they help to give it a slightly more 'in service' appearance.
                            Anyway here's a pic of the right side panel to give you some idea. Again not perfect, but then that's not what I'm striving for!

Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	3663095
                            Facebook page

Comment

• No.2 A.A.C.U.
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Aug 2007

Hi Rob,

She is certainly coming on leaps and bounds at the moment and the panel looks fantastic I will be writing to you regarding the Letraset as may need some myself soon.

Keep up the great work.

Tim

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                                wyvernfan@gmail.com
                                • Oct 2007

Cheers Tim, always glad to help where I can mate.

Rob
                                Facebook page

Comment

• davidq
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Feb 2015

Hello again Rob.
                                  The Wyvern model progresses and I am now working in the cockpit area. Your recreation is a great help in helping me visualize how it all goes. However I am struggling somewhat with the fitting of the gunsight, your mock up with it in position is how I imagined. However.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wyvern.jpg
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	3663243

this from the Pilots Notes I find confusing. Is the vertical board with clip the plotting board in its stowed position with the sight hiding behind it or is the sight not actually fitted? This is my only picture above instrument panel line, have good pictures of the panels but they are all cut off at the top.

Dave.
                                  Last edited by davidq; 4th August 2015, 19:17.

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                                    wyvernfan@gmail.com
                                    • Oct 2007

Hi Dave, my understanding is that the gunsight and retractable mounting are removed - as is the case with other Wyvern S.4 cockpit photos I've seen. Whilst retracted the GGS is still clearly visible from outside but below the pilots eyeline, and is then raised and bought forward for use. Hopefully these two photos will show what I mean.

Of course I'm happy to be proved wrong though

Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	3663244Click image for larger version

Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	3663245
                                    Facebook page

Comment

• davidq
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Feb 2015

Thanks Rob, that is the conclusion I had come to after squinting at many pictures taken from distance, oh for references equal to a Spitfire say. I just seemed odd the GGS not being shown in the notes unless of course it was still on the secret list at the time or something like that.

I would not dare to cross swords with you on this subject "I know my place"

Many thanks for your time,

Dave.

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                                        wyvernfan@gmail.com
                                        • Oct 2007

You mentioning the secret list is what I had in mind as a reason for its removal. But I'll also add that I'm by no means an expert on the type, and am always happy to be educated on it.

Glad to help anytime!

Rob
                                        Facebook page

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                                          wyvernfan@gmail.com
                                          • Oct 2007

Wyvern S.4

A couple of jobs have been completed since the last update. First up the top mount for the blind flying panel is basically complete - barring a couple of details, although it's a compromise in the absence of the correct anti- vibration mount. All three panels are now firmly fixed in place.

Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	3663972
                                          Facebook page

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X