Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Westland Wyvern Project Thread.

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TempestV
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Dec 2003

[QUOTE=Wyvernfan;2224371]A rare Saturday afternoon off from work gave me the chance to finish fitting out the instrument panels. Very time consuming I can tell you.
    And on the subject of which I'm on the look-out for two of these 0 to 6 LB pressure gauges (ignore the homemade metal blank) if anyone has any?

Rob[QUOTE]

Nice panels Rob,

given the central Blind Flying Panel is a known size to most folk, it really shows how wide the Wyvern cockpit is in comparison.

What's the next step for you with this?

Comment

• Wyvernfan
      wyvernfan@gmail.com
      • Oct 2007

Cheers David.

Yes the Wyvern certainly had a roomy cockpit, but I'm curious to know if any other aircraft type shared the same blind flying panel layout with this gyro compass, as I've not seen any!

Next step when time permits is to set about fitting these in the mock-up.

Rob
      Facebook page
      https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan

Comment

• TempestV
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Wyvernfan View Post
        Cheers David.

Yes the Wyvern certainly had a roomy cockpit, but I'm curious to know if any other aircraft type shared the same blind flying panel layout with this gyro compass, as I've not seen any!

Next step when time permits is to set about fitting these in the mock-up.

Rob
        Hi Rob,

The Hornet F.4 definitely had this Blind Flying panel mounted compass type, and the Meteor too if memory serves me correctly.

Comment

• No.2 A.A.C.U.
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Aug 2007

Hi Rob,

Excellent progress she really looks the part. Looking forward to future updates.

Kind regards,

Tim

Comment

• Wyvernfan
            wyvernfan@gmail.com
            • Oct 2007

Would love to see a photo if you have one DC?

Tim - cheers Mate. Any progress on the Martinet that you can share?

Rob
            Facebook page

Comment

• TempestV
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Dec 2003

Would love to see a photo if you have one DC?

Tim - cheers Mate. Any progress on the Martinet that you can share?

Rob
              E-mail sent :-)

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                wyvernfan@gmail.com
                • Oct 2007

Wyvern

Still loads to do but the instrument panels are in, although the BFP needs a top mount to help position it a little better. And thanks to the eagle eyed Versuch I've managed to acquire the correct gauge for the fuel pressure and this has been added. The GGS and E2A compass are shown only temporarily fitted in their respective positions for effect.
                I shall add another post on here shortly with a list of items I need to help complete this stage of things.

I've also decided that due to work and other time restraints the project sadly won't make Cockpitfest this year, although I will be attending as a paying visitor. But I fully intend to take it next year - for a particularly significant reason

Rob Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	3661837
                Facebook page

Comment

• ian_
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • May 2007

That looks excellent, you've gone all 3D!

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                    wyvernfan@gmail.com
                    • Oct 2007

Cheers Ian. Yep slowly taking shape from all angles lol.

There are several items I'm still looking for, beginning with the front curved section from the windscreen as shown here. These would of been removed with the later mod and upgrade to the one piece flat fronted windscreen.
                    Also looking for one of these fuel gauges - marked in gallons it's a Simmonds 6A/3052 GP.211/065/7. Plus a Dowty ignition switch 5CW/4180 C1212Y would be nice to help finish the left panel.
                    Any leads on these would be much appreciated.
                    Thanks.

RobClick image for larger version

Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	3661838Click image for larger version

Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	3661839Click image for larger version

Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	3661840
                    Facebook page

Comment

• TempestV
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Dec 2003

[QUOTE=Wyvernfan;2229439]Still loads to do but the instrument panels are in, although the BFP needs a top mount to help position it a little better. And thanks to the eagle eyed Versuch I've managed to acquire the correct gauge for the fuel pressure and this has been added. The GGS and E2A compass are shown only temporarily fitted in their respective positions for effect.
                      I shall add another post on here shortly with a list of items I need to help complete this stage of things.

I've also decided that due to work and other time restraints the project sadly won't make Cockpitfest this year, although I will be attending as a paying visitor. But I fully intend to take it next year - for a particularly significant reason

Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	3661837[QUOTE]

Superb Rob.

This is coming on really well.

See you at Newark.... Bring the good weather!

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                        wyvernfan@gmail.com
                        • Oct 2007

Thanks David. Particularly pleased with the long brass hinge I picked up at the local Homebase for four quid. This enabled me to connect the two right hand panels as per the originals (the screws have since been changed for some with smaller diameter heads).

Looking forward to seeing the Hornet at Newark with its new artwork!

Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	3661895Click image for larger version

Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	3661896
                        Facebook page

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                          wyvernfan@gmail.com
                          • Oct 2007

Wyvern S.4

Just a quick update to report that the rig now has several coats of primer - undercoat - Matt black top coat applied and has been temporarily fitted with its cockpit sides cut from sheet ally.
                          Since the photo was taken the instrument panels have also been removed and stripped of their instruments and fittings prior to some paint being applied, the cross brace for the BFP top mount has been added and a set of rudder pedals have been sourced and trial fitted. In the absence of genuine Wyvern pedals I realised that those from the Canberra B.2 are identical bar the foot rests themselves, so I have made up a bolt on 'conversion kit' of parts to make them appear more representative of Wyvern pedals until the real McCoy turns up (if any still exist)!

Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	3662632

Ps.. Apologies for the sideways pic, just click on it and it should right itself!
                          Facebook page

Comment

• No.2 A.A.C.U.
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Aug 2007

Rob,

Excellent progress and certainly looking the part, I trust we will see her at Newark next year.

Tim

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                              wyvernfan@gmail.com
                              • Oct 2007

Newark next year is a must Tim, baring any disasters

Rob
                              Facebook page

Comment

• No.2 A.A.C.U.
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Aug 2007

Hi Rob,

I look forward to seeing her in the flesh - she is a real beast.

Tim

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                                  wyvernfan@gmail.com
                                  • Oct 2007

Indeed, Tim, and when you consider that just the section I am recreating at the moment is marked in red on the diagram, then it helps put the size of the Wyvern into context!

Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	3662650
                                  Facebook page

Comment

• TempestV
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Dec 2003

Just a quick update to report that the rig now has several coats of primer - undercoat - Matt black top coat applied and has been temporarily fitted with its cockpit sides cut from sheet ally.
                                    Since the photo was taken the instrument panels have also been removed and stripped of their instruments and fittings prior to some paint being applied, the cross brace for the BFP top mount has been added and a set of rudder pedals have been sourced and trial fitted. In the absence of genuine Wyvern pedals I realised that those from the Canberra B.2 are identical bar the foot rests themselves, so I have made up a bolt on 'conversion kit' of parts to make them appear more representative of Wyvern pedals until the real McCoy turns up (if any still exist)!

Rob[ATTACH=CONFIG]238863[/ATTACH]

Ps.. Apologies for the sideways pic, just click on it and it should right itself!
                                    Brilliant Rob. This is really coming to life now. I can't wait to see it.

One year at Newark, we should set up a Fleet Air Arm display. Tony Dyer has a Seafire F46 slice of cockpit, and as I also have a set of Sea Hornet PR.22 instrument panels, I could assemble them into a slice of fuselage similar to yours. There are one or two Sea Hawk cockpits floating around too.
                                    Last edited by TempestV; 6th July 2015, 16:47.

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                                      wyvernfan@gmail.com
                                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by dcollins103 View Post
                                      One year at Newark, we should set up a Fleet Air Arm display. Tony Dyer has a Seafire FXVII slice of cockpit, and as I also have a set of Sea Hornet PR.22 instrument panels, I could assemble them into a slice of fuselage similar to yours. There are one or two Sea Hawk cockpits floating around too.
                                      Now that's an excellent idea, David, I wonder if Howard and Bill would be up for a 'Royal Navy' section - maybe next year?!

Rob
                                      Facebook page

Comment

• DH82EH
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Jan 2013

I've seen this thread for some time and realized that I should commend you, Rob, for persevering with this representation of such an unusual machine.
                                        Great stuff.
                                        I really like the unique and unusual and can only imagine how great it must feel when you score a nice tidbit or two.
                                        Same goes for the like of Dave Collins and Cees and all of you folks practically bringing things back from extinction.

Thanks for the efforts and thanks for sharing. I'm definitely enjoying.

Andy Scott

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                                          wyvernfan@gmail.com
                                          • Oct 2007

Thank you, Andy, for your kind and encouraging comments. And although it's great that so many look in on the thread to see progress it's always appreciated when they make time to write a few words with their thoughts or comments.

Rob
                                          Facebook page

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X