Short Stirling Book.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

Hi All.
I need recommendations on a book about the Short Stirling.
Preferably I'd like it to contain some development history and it's operational history, including with Bomber and Transport commands.
I realise this might be two books or more.
It doesn't need to still be in print (although that would be nice) but something I may need to track down.
Any suggestions.
Regards
Andy

Original post

Member for

16 years 11 months

Hi Andy

There's 'The Stirling Story' by Michael J F Bowyer which is pretty good. I think we might have some spare 'new' copies in our workshop

John

Member for

24 years 3 months

"Stirling at War" and "Stirling Wings - The Short Stirling Goes to War" both by Jonathan Falconer are worth a look.

Member for

12 years 6 months

Hi Andy

There's 'The Stirling Story' by Michael J F Bowyer which is pretty good. I think we might have some spare 'new' copies in our workshop

John

Is that a different book to 'The Stirling Bomber' by M. Bowyer of which I have a copy?

Member for

16 years 8 months

`Stirlings in Action with the Airborne Forces`by Dennis Williams is a nice read if you can cover the bomber and transport roles with other books.

Member for

16 years 9 months

The Air Britain "The Stirling File" revised edition 1987 by Bryce Gomersall does come up sometimes in second hand bookshops well worth it for individual aircraft histories and code letters. The Squadron In Action book No 96 by Ron Mackay 1989, is also good for details of different marks and side colour plates.