Replica Aircraft Parts..Where Do We Go?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 9 months

First of all apologies if this has been asked for before.
Having recently been in touch with many people who are all building replica aircraft/cockpit sections, who all seem to be having the same problem and asking the same quesion
"where do we get so and so part from"
Most of us cannot afford to get parts made via the big boys and if a part cannot be traded for or indeed found cheaply we are in abit of a pickle unless a miracle happens and the part is donated.

So has anybody got any recomendations of any cottage/private industries or even sympthetic companies that they can list and put on this thread what parts they make etc so all can read and note for now and future use.

Thanking you all in anticipation

Jay

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

What sort of thing are you looking for?

Member for

11 years 9 months

Hi Bruce

I have put this request thread not just for myself but on behalf of a number of people who are after some part or other for thier own various static/replica projects but have no idea where to go etc.
Many of us cannot afford original /new parts and replica parts can sometimes be cheaper but still look the part.
The parts required tend to be those that are beyond the scope of the typical garden shed workshop, can be something so small as a double curved panel which cannot be bashed into shape or a rare part which only replica can be wished for as the original is like hens teeth.

regards

Jay

Member for

15 years 2 months

I do believe you have to be somewhat lucky at times!! Although what i've done in the past is try to identify abandoned aircraft (fire dumps, etc) and then make contact and see where that takes you . . granted, some of the projects i've seen other's doing are rather rarer and not likely to find anything out there. When starting out on my project, that is something I took into consideration as I wanted to make sure I could find the required parts quite easily/cheaply!!

But have to say - really frustrating when you can't find that one bit!! But quite the opposite when you do find it!! :)

Member for

19 years 3 months

Downland make lovely static castings for spitfire cockpits (control column parts, bfp mounts, flap taps, instrument panel, BFPs, rudder pedals etc).

I do replica instruments, chassis plates, etc
I do a few P51 parts for cockpits too.

Member for

12 years 7 months

Hi,
Indeed I would like to know if there is anywhere that does this sort of thing too.

I have wanted to build a replica cockpit section of either a Spit or Lanc for some time now, but have never found any good scans of dial faces without the pointers. I suppose the way to go would be to buy all the instruments and strip them down to photocopy the face minus its pointer, just seems like an expensive way to do it though. I have looked at model clock faces to enlarge and computer programs that let you make your own dials, but they just don't look like WW2 era originals.
Does anyone know of a company or individual who would be able to supply such scans?

I should maybe add that I only want to build a cockpit section to wire up to my computer flight sim, not as part of any sort of business or commercial venture.

All the very best,
Chris.

Member for

15 years 6 months

:)

Attachments

Member for

19 years 3 months

I can do you most faces

Member for

12 years 7 months

Oh wow!
Thanks Smirky,
That is exactly what I have been looking for.

Thanks to Tony as well, I will send you a PM.

Member for

13 years 3 months

We have the facilities to do sheet metal work and have contacts for machining and casting.

Mike E

www.aircraftrestorationgroup.webs.com

Can you make side shields "non structural cowl parts" for an airworthy project ?.

Bob T.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Chris, I have replica faces. For USA aircraft I have fully detailed jpegs. Most for WW2

Member for

14 years 3 months

Can you make side shields "non structural cowl parts" for an airworthy project ?.

Bob T.

Sorry we do not have approvals for airworthy component manufacture.But we can manufacture none airworthy and static items.

Mike E

www.aircraftrestorationgroup.webs.com

Member for

11 years 9 months

Hi All,

Many thanks to all those who have contributed to the thread so far, so many out there do not know how others can assist with parts etc, so please keep those details and information coming :D

Tony, have found Downland aviation so very helpful and excellent communication, and my congrats to you on all the superb work on all your projects I have seen via photographs on both site and others

Regards

Jay

Member for

19 years 3 months

Thanx Jay. I enjoy it. I am about to start building and putting my P51 together....I am happy to make static stuff but my time is limited.
The problem is the effort to create something like Frame 8 for a Spitfire....providing a kit is one thing - putting it together with solid rivets is another!
The simple answer is that it is possible to find someone to do anything....cost is the factor.

I was quoted over £3500 for a frame 8 a few years ago.

Member for

17 years 11 months

We have a lot of Spitfire part drawings if anyone needs anything..Tony can you Pm me a quote for a set of replica instruments for a MkV pleeeeeeeeaaase;)

Member for

20 years 4 months

First of all apologies if this has been asked for before.
Having recently been in touch with many people who are all building replica aircraft/cockpit sections, who all seem to be having the same problem and asking the same quesion
"where do we get so and so part from"
Most of us cannot afford to get parts made via the big boys and if a part cannot be traded for or indeed found cheaply we are in abit of a pickle unless a miracle happens and the part is donated.

So has anybody got any recomendations of any cottage/private industries or even sympthetic companies that they can list and put on this thread what parts they make etc so all can read and note for now and future use.

Thanking you all in anticipation

Jay

We make our own. Good quality parts don't have to be expensive.

Member for

19 years 3 months

will do!

Member for

19 years 9 months

Hi Tony

Could you send me a qoute as well please for some Spitfire replica instruments?

Cheers
Neil

Member for

24 years 3 months

I can do you most faces

Can I have a picture of your 'Happy Face'

and one of your 'Angry Face' as well?

Member for

11 years 9 months

We make our own. Good quality parts don't have to be expensive.

as per my post #3, some parts are beyond the scope of a standard garden shed workshop, hence my posting..sadly not all of us have a foundry or a engineering company nearby yet still have our dream project.
Its not always about money as you quite rightly say but this is about where you can get the hard to make parts from.

Jay