X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a link for all Do-27 lovers:

http://www.do27.com/do27_en/index.htm

Comment

A picture of your aircraft from a rather chilly Seething in FEB 2010.

Comment

Chester pictures

On approach, sat on the ramp a bit left wing low, landing not that bad just need to pump up the oleo.
        Attached Files

Comment

Pre Christmas airing

Hi, took advantage of a gap in the weather and hauled the Dornier out of the shed for a brief flight with the family aboard.

Engine fired up first go, coughed spluttered ran then stopped, started second go and with a few jabs of throttle kept going and then settled down. Air traffic helpful at Harwarden and airborne without delay. Take off with ten ish knots across fine as the aircraft is off the deck fast.

IFF not playing so stayed away from Liverpool zone and pottered up to point of Ayr, left turn to Rhyll then southwards towards Ruthin and the high ground.

Circled Jubillee Tower waved at the walkers then back to Chester. Crosswind around ten knots which is as much as I would want to land in. Slight bounce on arrival but rolled out in reasonable order and taxied in.

Aircraft needs avionics upgrade and a paint job. Speaking of which, having politely written to ask the German Embassy (Air Attache) for permission to paint it in 1960s Luftwaffe colours they wrote back and said Nein for legal reasons...

Not sure what legal reasons means exactly but no means no so re thinking colour scheme.

Pictures to follow

Comment

Originally posted by Dornier View Post
            Speaking of which, having politely written to ask the German Embassy (Air Attache) for permission to paint it in 1960s Luftwaffe colours they wrote back and said Nein for legal reasons...

Putzer Elster B G-APVF of 1959 flies (I assume she is still active) in Luftwaffe markings as 97+04 so I wonder what the objection is?

I do like that Dornier - like Putzer on steroids!
            Listening out for something interesting approaching...

Comment

What's the fuel capacity over how many tanks? I guess this has a Lyc 540 running at 235hp?
              See how they wheel, bank and glide? Perfect. All in one.

Comment

Capacity and power

Hi Blue

Two wing tanks capacity just over 100L each, 200L total, burns about 60L an hour if careful. We will do no more than two hours thirty from full tanks as gauges not that accurate.

Engine a flat six Lycoming producing 270 HP.

Re colours no idea why the German Embassy said no but having asked have to abide by their views. As it happens the previous owner wanted the aircraft in its African Portuguese colours so who knows.

Back in the air when weather and cross wind permits. Looking to move the aircraft to Cosford in the spring if my AEF transfer comes off.

Have a good new year, Dornier

Comment

Rather an odd decision considering they probably sold them in their original military schemes.

Comment

Aircraft needs avionics upgrade and a paint job. Speaking of which, having politely written to ask the German Embassy (Air Attache) for permission to paint it in 1960s Luftwaffe colours they wrote back and said Nein for legal reasons...

Not sure what legal reasons means exactly but no means no so re thinking colour scheme.

Pictures to follow
                    Nor do I have any idea why they did not gave you permission to paint it in its former colours. Especially as there are a lot of them flying in their original paintjob in Germany. Maybe they have a problem with the 60 ies camouflage, but not with the more recent ones? Or it is, because being registered in Britain? But some of the Do 28s are registered in Hungary...., well, it seems to be highly illogical to me.

http://www.flugzeugforum.de/dornier-...hig-24636.html

you have to register to view the pics, if they dont show

Michael
                    Last edited by redvanner; 27th December 2012, 21:05.

Comment

I have just seen a photo on another forum (Farnborough Proboards - Hawarden thread) of the port main gear shorter than the starboard after a landing at Hawarden yesterday. Not too sure what damage was sustained?
                      Whipsnade's most wanted BIG BROWN BEAR!

Comment

Fieseler Storch or not? Obviously not.

Hi, so would this have been that plane flying low near to the M6 yesterday that nearly caused me to fall off my motorbike whilst looking up at what I first thought was a Storch?

Comment

Left oleo

Hi Buster

The left oleo was soft and I had hoped to get it topped up at St Athan on its next visit but yesterday took the Dornier for a shake down and it sagged badly just before take off.

In itself not a big deal as the aircraft has very long legs, ground clearance for rough ops etc. got airborne ok and after a local flight came back for circuits.

Circuits fine notwithstanding the usual cross wind off the factory but the left leg sagged badly after landing, it was a good one too. Stopped at N and got my son to hop out and lift left wing which in the past was enough to level it again.

This time no dice so taxied in and shut down. The sag was bad enough to cause a small fuel spill from the left vent (5l). Tried to put a nitrogen line on the oleo to gas it up and discovered ex RAF rig imperial thread while 1958 Dornier metric.

Chewing gum administered to vent with finger assistance.

Given we did win WW2 one might have thought the US and UK would have banned metric engineering...

Aircraft in the shed with oleo locks on left leg. Received an FZ15 adaptor which might do the job failing that will need to borrow or make a metric adaptor.

Martin R of the Dornier club replied in an e mail that this is a known problem and most owners converted the oleo valve to a more user friendly thread.

With help hope to have the leg topped up, then need to ok repair/fix with local safety manager etc.

Hope that helps explain the lurching pictures!

Regards Dornier

Comment

Low?

Hi

Yes that was the Dornier but we were at 600 feet on the regional but since the aircraft is quite big, forty foot span may have looked lower.

We also went across to look for Arclid landing strip but could not see it in the mud and John B in the circuit so we ******** off and left him to it.

With oleo fixed will come back with ppr for a landing as the Dornier more than capable of getting in and more importantly out of Arclid.

Regards Dornier

Comment

oleo snag pictures

For those interested the aircraft at a lean and the temporary solution...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Sag

I think I might have abandoned the take-off on finding the sag rather than get airborne with it. Could have led to a ground loop on landing - resulting in an even bigger problem.

Anon.

Comment

Sag

Was not that bad at take off, suspect the leg depressed further during circuits.

12,000 hrs various types and wife and son on board hardly likely to be reckless.

Anon Anon not an Airbus employee by any chance on a fishing expedition?

Comment

Paperwork

Aircraft now clear to fly oleo fixed and appropriate paperwork sent to Airbus UK.

Hoping to get airborne tomorrow for a test flight then take FG to St Athan in the next week for avionics upgrade.

Comment

Crosswinds and castoring tailwheels!

Flew the aircraft this afternoon and took it to Sleap for some circuits. Oleo appeared fine and returned to Broughton about 40 minutes later.

Made an approach to land on RW 22 with ten kts crosswind from the left. Decent touchdown but as the tail started to settle hit by a gust from the left side coming around the factory buildings.

Found it hard to counter with brakes and rudder and in the end settled for gentle pirouette or low speed ground loop. Embarrassing enough but then struggled to maintain direction control when taxiing down wind onto taxiway G so gave up and shut down.

ATC very helpful, perhaps amused by our arrival, airfield ops staff great and got us tow so the aircraft was safely dragged back unscathed.

There is however a learning point and that is that given my ability, the aircrafts design, the brakes and the almost always present 10kts across at Broughton it is not going to work out for us so have given notice and will look for a quiet GA field preferably with grass strip.

Anyone got any thoughts on GA airfields with an hours drive of Crewe?

Comment

Barton?
                                        http://www.cityairportandheliport.com/

Comment

Anyone got any thoughts on GA airfields with an hours drive of Crewe?
                                          The following are all within about 50 miles of Crewe -

Barton
                                          Eggington
                                          Halfpenny Green
                                          Tatenhill
                                          Sleap

RMR
                                          RMR

Comment

Working...
                                          X