Anyone have any problems importing luminous gauges?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

I have one coming from overseas soon - just wonder how paranoid I should be?

Original post

I know it was a problem for one poor chap in the Netherlands.

I had heard there were monitoring devices at UK mail centres, but not sure if this was correct. I used to mail stuff out quite happily (including overseas) until about three years ago when I packed up and there was never a problem, although I suspect some of the dials may well have made any detection equipment squeak.

Member for

19 years 3 months

I would tend to think if it is in a big enuff box the reading might be small enuff

Member for

18 years 2 months

It may depend on where it’s coming from i.e. whether it makes it to the UK.

On the export front I’m aware of people having issues exporting from the UK and as Bruce posted about these parts – having to collect items from Heathrow rather than face a large bill.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Dont use Royal Mail, or any postal service.

Fedex would be a better option (apparently)

Bruce

Member for

15 years 1 month

I had a couple of dials stopped at the Royal Mail International Hub at Coventry, They do have a huge scanner that checks the lorry trailers as they come in and it can pick up one 'Hot' dial in one whole trailer load! I was able to collect mine in person, but they wouldnt deliver it.

This said you may be fine, depending just how 'hot' it is.

Ant. :)

Member for

16 years 6 months

As Bruce says if your exporting don't use Royal Mail. I tried to send three instruments to Australia. They took my money, then when my package got to their hub in Coventry i received a letter, stating that the radiation level registering on their monitor from the large cardboard box was too high to handle any further or send, and that if i still wanted it i had to collect it from Coventry or they would destroy it. Luckily this was done for me by someone living alot closer to there than me.

I subsequently put in a claim for a full refund due to there not completing the service that i had paid for (£45 airmail due to the weight), and was subsequently charged a £20 handling fee for my troubles.

BE WARNED!!!!!!!!!

Rob

Member for

19 years 10 months

Yes some of my friends have had parcels stopped and not delivered. Sign of the times I am afraid. To this point I do not buy or sell these type of instruments or P compasses from ebay!

Member for

18 years 5 months

Oh yes, one package addressed to me with a single radioactive gauge was intercepted at Flexistow. 2 years latter (no kidding) I finnily got hold of it. I had to go and get it with my own car*, a journey over 400miles as the cost of using one of the only two road hauliers in the UK licenced to carry Raduim was obscene. In the end customs gave me an ultimatum, come and get the package myself or pay well over a grand to have it professionally disposed of!.

While I was at Flexistow they showed me the scanning kit..... All packages coming into the UK are routenly scanned without exception.

* I had to take with me in my car, a road wheel chock, rubber gloves, eye wash, fire extinasher, warning triangle, dust mask, proof of insurance, all of which was inspected prior to handing over the package.

Good luck

Member for

15 years 6 months

The Royal Mail approach sounds like a cheap way of getting rid of unwanted stuff :diablo:

Member for

13 years 3 months

Over the years I have had a number of old luminous gauges sent to me from abroad "probably why I have such a glowing complexion :D", but have never had any problems with any of them, whether delivered by Fedup or parcelfarce etc.

Bob T.

Member for

19 years 3 months

pity they don't more effort into scanning for illegal immigrants!!

Member for

14 years 11 months

As mentioned, there was one guy in The Netherlands who had his entire collection of panels confiscated following a house-call from police after a parcel addressed to him (containing instruments) was found to be 'hot'.

Another guy importing a complete aircraft from the US had the whole aircraft impounded after a container scan showed the instruments were 'hot'. After about two weeks and a bill of 3000 euros for removal of said instruments and disposal via a certified agency he was allowed to pick up the aircraft at the docks sans instruments.

Some continental Vintage Glider Club members travelling to the UK have for some years now been replacing their original instruments (luminous) with later ones (non-luminous) for a few weeks whenever taking their gliders (in trailers) to events in the UK due to scans of vehicles at the ferry terminal.

Member for

15 years 8 months

Dont use Royal Mail, or any postal service.

Quite.

Royal Mail have a very long list of prohibited items - anything radioactive or classified as radioactive is one of them.

Member for

13 years 3 months

pity they don't more effort into scanning for illegal immigrants!!

Are they radioactive ? :diablo:

Bob T.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Only when they broadcast terrorist and/or religious hatred programmes.
Resmoroh

Member for

16 years 2 months

Yep, had to go to Coventry and collect from a speical anti radiation tube from the main depot where the man then walked accross the car park with the offending item and handed it it over to me, I then drove off with it completing the trip they should have made!

I also spoke to the Newark museum radiation man, and so long as the glass is not cracked and you don't go messing around with the item like opening them up, then the levels are not life threatening unless you strap one to your head and walk around with it for several years! let's face it, we are surrounded by radiation everywhere, including some natural sources.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Like all hazardous materials they need to be treated with respect and in accordance with the relevant legislation that is in force at the time; this can and does change. The licensing arrangements that organisations are currently subjected to have changed slightly in recent months and the best advice should always be sought from a suitably qualified RPA or similar company – I have posted details of such companies about these parts in the past.