Gladiator/Gauntlet erection gauge "I've got wood"

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 3 months

Due to the date stamped on it (21/11/39), I believe that this bit of wood was used in the maintenance of Gloster Gauntlets & Gladiators, rather than during their manufacture at the factory.

It has stamped on it-

GLADIATOR & GAUNTLET
STRAIGHT EDGE FOR FUSELAGE
DRG NO 12891/2
21/11/39
A.I.D. 8

& is approx 32"x3"x3/4".

Anyone have any ideas as to its exact purpose ?, or have a use for it ?.

Bob T.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

13 years 3 months

i almost bid on that on ebay :rolleyes:

Member for

18 years 7 months

I would suggest it is a rigging board.

Member for

16 years 11 months

One of the great joys of teaching DT. To hold aloft a piece of timber and ask 'Right, has everyone got wood?' Nice piece.

Member for

19 years

Yep, looks like a rigging board :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

re;

is there any Gauntlet left to build a new one from? Will we see Glosters join the ranks of virtually extinct Hawker bi planes? I hope so!

Member for

20 years 3 months

I don't think it flys very often, and has a modern engine. It might be possible to clone it?

http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/gauntlet.htm

Robert M.

It flies in several airshows every summer here in Finland, has an Alvis Leonides engine, from an ex Finnish AF Pembroke, though...

Member for

16 years 6 months

Well bu**er me. I knew a Finnish museum had the only original Gauntlet left in existence, but never realised it was airworthy too :)

Rob

Member for

16 years 8 months

Great to see the Gauntlet flying, at least the Leonides suits it quite well, the type was flight tested pre-war on a Bulldog.
The engine is from Pembroke C.52 PR-2 which the museum has in store I believe.

Member for

13 years 3 months

I remember reading an article on the Gauntlet rebuild, in a copy of Vintage Aircraft, many years ago, I think they also had the remains of another set of wings & other bits, so a 2nd Gauntlet is a remote possibillity, but possible non the less. They had the remains of the Mercury VI engine, but it was very incomplete etc, so they used the Alvis engine instead, which meant that they had to make the front end of the fuselage about 6 inches or so longer than it was originaly, to compensate for the lighter engine.

Ever since reading the article, I've been meaning to go to Finland to see her fly, but still ain't got round to it yet :(.

Bob T.

Member for

24 years 3 months

There are several good clips of the Finnish Gauntlet on YouTube (none of them mine, I hasten to point out), my favourite being the one I've linked to below. It's footage from an evening flight, great sound and atmospheric lighting, and no background noise as it wasn't filmed at a show. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Gh60IXEbA

Member for

16 years 8 months

Great vid Ant, is that at one of the midnight show outings?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Sorry mate, I don't know. The Gauntlet was at the Jami Fly-In a few weeks ago, and it was while rummaging for footage of the it there that I bumped into the above link filmed the previous year. It went straight in my favourites, so when this thread came up I thought I'd share it.

Member for

20 years 3 months

That video was made at Kymi Airfield, SE Finland, where the Gauntlet is based. They also have a small aviation museum there, gliders and ex AF jets mostly.
Regarding the engine, Pembroke PR-2 at Finnish AF Museumum has both engines, so this one has to be from PR-1, which does not exist anymore.

Member for

16 years 8 months

My understanding is that PR-2 is in a dismantled state in the museum store and had donated an engine to the Gauntlet?
Post#58 here, http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33512&page=2 seems to go with that as well,
PR-1 was written off after hitting a snow bank in 1965, but maybe componants were kept from it.

Member for

20 years 3 months

My understanding is that PR-2 is in a dismantled state in the museum store and had donated an engine to the Gauntlet?
Post#58 here, http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33512&page=2 seems to go with that as well,
PR-1 was written off after hitting a snow bank in 1965, but maybe componants were kept from it.

May be also from PR-2, but I would have expected the engines of PR-1 having been available for the Gauntlet, as they were not damaged in the incident. Not sure though...