Merlin over Malta round 2

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years

Ive used the search function but could not find any reference to a Spitfire appearing at the Malta airshow this year, especially when the photo on the shows web site is of MH434 and the operator is The Old Flying Machine Company

http://www.maltairshow.com/Participants/

Original post

Member for

16 years 9 months

The Libyan Mirages are presumably the pair that arrived unannounced in Feb 2011?

Member for

19 years 1 month

Rob,

website shows OFMC's MH434 as a participant?

Member for

18 years

It says

Private Supermarine Spitfire (x1) The Old Flying Machine Company Fighter Aircraft F, so an assumption that it is MH434.

The OFMC web site looks out of date so cant confirm

Member for

19 years 1 month

yes...the Malta Airshow people confirmed it on their facebook page...

For some reason doesn't seemed to have captured the public imagination like MoM DID 7 YEARS AGO! :eek:

Amazing evening at Grand Harbour when they arrived!

Member for

18 years

we were in a cafe just below the Upper Barracca Gardens 7 years ago, if you ask me what stands out about all the airshows ive been to since 1978, seeing the Spit and Hurricane arrive at 18.00hrs over Grand Harbour is it.

Where were you Russ?

Odd that nothing has even been mentioned for this year.

Member for

19 years 1 month

stood not too far from you! :)

I think the whole MoM project drew support from all areas and done wonders for tourism that year.... i couldn't get a hotel room that week! :D

Shame this seems to have gone totally un noticed...even the facebook post propted virtually no response....

Member for

15 years 7 months

Having become a regular visitor to that wonderful island post MoM and having seen the video I wish I could turn the clock back, it must have been just amazing,.I can see myself sitting in the British Hotel on the veranda with a cold one in the hand watching the two aircraft flying past, the sound must have been awesome. If you were there you were so lucky.

Member for

19 years 1 month

it was! The DVD is a great reminder but it doesn't capture the atmosphere among the people (thousands!) that turned out to watch.... It was like nothing else I have ever witnessed (Warbird - like!)

Ive been every year since 2005 as a visitor, I never get tired and everytime a take a different book and find out something new and different...Its ashame the Maltese Authorities seem very disintrested in this years Spitfire:(

Member for

18 years

a few quick scans direct from photos before i went digital and signed by Charlie Brown a few years after the event at Aeroventure Doncaster when he gave a talk about the flight down and back. If he ever does the talk again its worth going to, especially if you were there

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/Rob1968/Malta3.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/Rob1968/Malta2.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/Rob1968/Malta1.jpg

Member for

18 years 1 month

I would love to see a Gloster Gladiator fly over the Grand Harbour. I would drop all my work all my work if this was to happen.

Dave

Member for

12 years 2 months

The Difference between MOM and the spitfire this year is that MOM involved a huge team effort. From the work by Clive and Linda Denney and their amazing team, Jack Paternoster selling golf balls and managing to raise £10,000 pounds for the cause and the Malta Aviation Museum for helping in the organisation on the ground. Even the timing of the event was perfect with alot of veterans being present and the opening of the Malta Aviation Museum new Hangar.
Also, when MOM where over, Malta and us Maltese had never seen a Spitfire and Hurricane flying over Malta unless you were born before 1954.
So this years visiting spitfire, although amazing to see another spitfire flying over Malta would be great, will not be the only spitfire to fly over the Maltese island for over 5 decades like MOM did.
I can assure you MH434 is not going to be the last spitfire to fly over the Maltese Islands, and I know this for a fact!! :)
With all this said!!! Can't wait to see Mh434 fly over the island as the sound of Merlins shacking the glass of my bedroom windows is amazing!!!

Member for

17 years 10 months

[QUOTE=Rob68;1911418]we were in a cafe just below the Upper Barracca Gardens 7 years ago, if you ask me what stands out about all the airshows ive been to since 1978, seeing the Spit and Hurricane arrive at 18.00hrs over Grand Harbour is it.

I was standing above you in the gardens, by the great harbour bell, and watched their time exact arrival at 18.00pm on that Friday evening. I was watching alongside Murial Pavlow and it was enough to make a grown man cry...as I did....the evocotive sight and sound of those two immortal aeroplanes flying low over the harbour and breaking right and left for more passes, was just pure magic.....probably a once in a lifetime event. Wow, I was just a lucky person....

Member for

19 years 1 month

http://www.maltaviationmuseum.com/listsearch2.asp?ID=95

I remember going to a talk by Clive Denney before the event and saying that they were careful not to distract fund raising in Malta away from the activity for the Hangar.

Great memories...I bought the DVD, the Corgi set and the Print! Oh and a few Polo SHirts and patches! Great Times...

Member for

18 years

got the DVD and not a lot else, they could have sold anything at the show and people would have brought it. (thats a tip to OFMC)

Member for

18 years 6 months

I would love to see a Gloster Gladiator fly over the Grand Harbour. I would drop all my work all my work if this was to happen.

Dave

How about Gloster Gladiator and Fiat CR-42 over Grand Harbour?

Member for

24 years 2 months

I was standing above you in the gardens, by the great harbour bell, and watched their time exact arrival at 18.00pm on that Friday evening. I was watching alongside Murial Pavlow and it was enough to make a grown man cry...as I did....the evocotive sight and sound of those two immortal aeroplanes flying low over the harbour and breaking right and left for more passes, was just pure magic.....probably a once in a lifetime event. Wow, I was just a lucky person....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/148_4804a.jpg

Mark

Member for

12 years 2 months

@beaufighter VI - patience my friend, patience!!! ;)

Member for

24 years 2 months

The Merlins Over Malta team is looking forward to seeing MH434 flying over Malta in September continuing the legacy we started with the project back in 2003.

Reading your comments here, seven years down the line, is extremely heart-warming and as we did then, we still appreciate everyone's support.

We will be at the Malta Air Show in September to once again enjoy the classic sound of a Merlin over Malta (even though we won't be flying it!)...

Member for

20 years

Is '434's flying limited to airshow displays or are there plans to 'buzz' the island?

MoM 2005 was a magic week.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/Merlin70/Malta%202005/MaltaSept05337.jpg