Bloodhound missile

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 8 months

i remember seeing possibly 2 bloodhound missiles @ santoft airfield about 10 years ago, one of them has gone to the rocket site @ misson, nr finningley where did the other missile go ?? many thanks............

Original post

Member for

13 years 1 month

bloodhound missiles

The Sandtoft Bloodhounds were Mk 2s and came to Sandtoft from North Coates and were previously at North luffenham as gate guardians and are now believed to be at faldingworth, the one at Misson is a Mk 1 and has been there for about 25 years

Member for

12 years 6 months

Bloodhound Missile

The Bristol Aero Collection holds two Bristol Ferranti Bloodhound Missiles a Mk 1 and a Mk 2 with Launchers, not on display at this time since the Collection is in process of moving from Kemble, hopefully to a permanent home at Filton.

brisfite41

Member for

24 years 2 months

Airfield -I should check on that as I am pretty sure there was only one Bloodhound at North Luffenham on gate guard with the Meteor NF.14.

Member for

19 years 7 months

Confirm only one Bloodhound on the gate.

Member for

13 years 1 month

Ok
One Bloodhound at the gate but two arrived together at North Coates from North Luffenham, maybe one was elsewhere on the airfield. Both bought at auction at I am told a ridiculous price. Both were later transfered to Sandtoft when the group who owned them relocated for want of a better word

Member for

13 years 1 month

Forgot to say the Meteor NF14 came to North Coates as well, with a broken canopy

Member for

24 years 2 months

Airfield -I would be prepared to bet that the lorry picked both up from separate locations. Certainly I recall only one launcher complete with Bloodhound at North Luffenham. The Meteor rear canopy was broken by the lorry driver.

Member for

13 years 1 month

Just checked my photographs and I have one of the Bloodhounds on a trailer and no room for another, so as you say probably two different locations. On reflection I think they arrived on separate days but not absolutely sure. I know at the time it was a 'big secret' where they had originated from.At that time it was assumed they had come from either Duxford or Cosford but later enquiries to both locations drew a blank. It wasn't general knowledge that they had been in MOD auctions.

Member for

24 years 2 months

One of those very early childhood recollections on a drive out with Mum and Dad....seeing white Bloodhounds set up on an aerodrome. We didn't used to travel far afield so my thinking is that this would have been Tattershall Thorpe.?...would they have been easily visible from the road.??

I got to play with one later too....my Cousin Stuart had the Corgi missile set.:)

Clive.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Speaking of which, how are Bloodhounds identified? Do they have serial numbers and/or constructor's numbers and if so where are they located?

(and don't anyone suggest I look for a tag on the collar or a microchip)

Member for

11 years 11 months

North Luffenham

I remember both the meteor and bloodhound on the gate from being about 7 or 8. We used to go swimming at Luffenham from our primary school. Good to hear that they are both still around. They certainly made a big impression on me.

Carl

Member for

11 years 11 months

how are Bloodhounds identified?

manufactures serial number on a data plate located on the main body casting, should be painted on the removable panels also

Member for

18 years 2 months

The Sandtoft Bloodhounds were Mk 2s and came to Sandtoft from North Coates and were previously at North luffenham as gate guardians and are now believed to be at faldingworth, the one at Misson is a Mk 1 and has been there for about 25 years

Nope, one was a green Mk 1 on a Type 100 (Mk 1) Launcher, the other was a green Mk1 with an extension to the front to simulate the extra length of the Mk2 front fuel tank / warhead bay with a Mk 2 forebody and radome on the front (known as a Hybrid, it was used for loading training, display and gate guard roles where you didn't want to damage a real missile or take time removing the secret bits) That one was on a Type 200 (Mk 2) launcher.

One of those very early childhood recollections on a drive out with Mum and Dad....seeing white Bloodhounds set up on an aerodrome. We didn't used to travel far afield so my thinking is that this would have been Tattershall Thorpe.?...would they have been easily visible from the road.??

I got to play with one later too....my Cousin Stuart had the Corgi missile set.:)

Clive.

222 Squadron had 32 launchers at what was left of RAF Woodhall Spa, which would have been visible from the road between Tattleshall and Woodhall Spa. The actual missile site is now the RAF Coningsby Golf Course, with one of the 2 Launch Control Posts now being used the Clubhouse.

Member for

16 years 3 months

It would appear that tonights episode of Endeavour ('Rocket', ITV 8pm)is set in a fictional company that builds something that from the promo shots that looks suspiciously like a Bloodhound...

Zeb

Member for

15 years 11 months

There's a news article in the June edition of Aeroplane Monthly, with a photo showing the arrival of a Bloodhound missile at North Coates on the 23rd March. It came from a theme park on the Isle of Wight, the intention is to restore it for display, needs some parts..

Robert M

Member for

18 years 5 months

Nope, one was a green Mk 1 on a Type 100 (Mk 1) Launcher, the other was a green Mk1 with an extension to the front to simulate the extra length of the Mk2 front fuel tank / warhead bay with a Mk 2 forebody and radome on the front (known as a Hybrid, it was used for loading training, display and gate guard roles where you didn't want to damage a real missile or take time removing the secret bits) That one was on a Type 200 (Mk 2) launcher.

222 Squadron had 32 launchers at what was left of RAF Woodhall Spa, which would have been visible from the road between Tattleshall and Woodhall Spa. The actual missile site is now the RAF Coningsby Golf Course, with one of the 2 Launch Control Posts now being used the Clubhouse.

When the Bloodhound force was scrapped of about a dozen missiles, plus some launchers and radars were held back for a classified trial (according to Avia News). Any data on what this was all about? Were they launched?

Was Bloodhound ever considered for deployment in the Falklands?

Anyone else notice the last flight of a Sea Dart last year. The last ever British designed and built ramjet to fly... Another bit of British engineering genius slips into history!

Member for

18 years 2 months

It would appear that tonights episode of Endeavour ('Rocket', ITV 8pm)is set in a fictional company that builds something that from the promo shots that looks suspiciously like a Bloodhound...

Zeb

That's cause it was. The missile in question was the Mucklebourgh Collection's Mk2 which was from what I was told was going to be repainted for the film shoot. Due to the fact that it still had the 85 Sqn markings on it, I would say that it wasn't. The missile is now back in Norfolk and is now indoors on a Type 200 series Launcher that the Bloodhound Missile Preservation Group sourced from the Swiss.

Member for

18 years 2 months

There's a news article in the June edition of Aeroplane Monthly, with a photo showing the arrival of a Bloodhound missile at North Coates on the 23rd March. It came from a theme park on the Isle of Wight, the intention is to restore it for display, needs some parts..

Robert M

The missile is in quite a bad state, however the guys at North Coates have been given a lot of good information by yours truly, and hopefully they get it shipshape in the end.

Member for

18 years 2 months

When the Bloodhound force was scrapped of about a dozen missiles, plus some launchers and radars were held back for a classified trial (according to Avia News). Any data on what this was all about? Were they launched?

Was Bloodhound ever considered for deployment in the Falklands?

Anyone else notice the last flight of a Sea Dart last year. The last ever British designed and built ramjet to fly... Another bit of British engineering genius slips into history!

Group I work with have been looking into this, We think the missiles were used for ground based warhead trials and were not fired (though somebody I know claims to have seen what he thought were Bloodhounds fired from Aberporth in 1992). The Swiss and RAF did their last offical firings in 1986. RRSE did use an ex-RAF T86 radar in trials until the radar was given to Newark in the early 2000's (along with some modified AD-10 radars (the Army's version of the T86 used with the Thunderbird Mk 2)). Had Bloodhound been considered for the Falklands, the support and logistics requirements to deploy even a small battery was huge, thus the idea would have been very quickly rejected.

Member for

15 years

Zeb

There was the rotating assembly from an Avon engine and a rear nacelle off an airliner of some sort used as props in the background too. The Avon looked a lot like training aid I saw used at RAF Halton many many years ago.