Earhart again

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

BBC on the enduring search for Amelia Earhart in places she almost certainly isn't

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18670048

Moggy

Original post

Member for

14 years 11 months

Well if Hillary Clinton is involved then it must be case closed!

Member for

12 years 6 months

lol...

The BBC TV News this morning seemed to have been informed that she had 'survived a few days on an island'. I wonder who told them that..? :rolleyes:

Maybe they'll find Howard Hughes and Elvis there as well. They may have all used the same hair lotion.:diablo:

Member for

24 years 3 months

Think I saw her in the car park at Flying Legends 2012.....

Member for

16 years 8 months

.............and did she die whilst waiting to get out?

Member for

24 years 3 months

:D:D:D

Member for

24 years 3 months

...oh, no that's not possible - I was 400 miles away!....

But I'll double check for a discarded sandwich wrapper or other air show castoffs just in case there is Earhart DNA on it...

TIGGER!!!!!!!

Member for

13 years 7 months

Careful kids, you're really all digging yourselves deep holes right in the middle of Stupid City if it turns out that TIGHAR is right and finds an incontrovertible serial number or data plate.

I'll happily say that I think the chances of you nay-sayers being correct--Earhart's Lockheed will never be found, or perhaps will be found but in a jungle in New Guinea--are substantial, and I'd never bet against you. But I'll also never bet against Ric Gillespie, nor will I condescend to making nasty cracks about him. I hope TIGHAR succeeds in its current expedition, and if they do, I won't even say "I told you so," because that would be rude and petty. There's already been enough rudeness and pettiness to go around.

The TIGHAR expedition casts off from Honolulu in a few hours, as I type this, and I wish them all the luck in the world.

Member for

16 years 8 months

If I've sent TIGHAR off on an avoidable diversion, so that they are found snooping around the Duxford car parks rather than enduring the sun, sand and sea of the more exotic parts of the far east, I apologise unreservedly.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Careful kids, you're really all digging yourselves deep holes right in the middle of Stupid City if it turns out that TIGHAR is right and finds an incontrovertible serial number or data plate.

They might be correct, but that doesn't excuse them of the shameless attempts at trying to tie anything and everything found on the island to her...most recently the "freckle cream" jar based onthe fact the she had freckles and reportedly didn't like them.No explanation was offered that she used them, took any makeup along on the trip or why she's be using dangerous patent medicines when she could afford proper cosmetics. At least they added that the jar was similar to the freckle cream, but it appearently wasn't ofered in that size.
If you're running a reputable organization, lay off the claims until you know something. Try to maintain same some shread of credibilty for the "nonbelievers" out there. (But since most of the American media have forgotten that elementary lesson of journalism class, I guess I can't really expect a guy who makes his living off donations to remember it).

The TIGHAR expedition casts off from Honolulu in a few hours, as I type this, and I wish them all the luck in the world.

Yes, off in the S.S. Minnow....with a first mate named Gilligan.
Any millionaires or movie stars onboard? A professor? Mary Ann? * :D

*For non-American readers…a reference to the much-maligned 1960s television comedy “Gilligan’s Island” abouit a goup of hapless shipwreck survivors.

Member for

12 years 6 months

A Ghost Of Aviation.

Stepwilk;- I've pondered the hilarity of them actually finding something several times. Could they be there..? Of course, and in a zilion other places too. :)
Their chances are less than winning the Lotto.
Ultimately however, the whole thing is a rather pointless exercise. There will be no bones, and a miniscule chance of finding something 100% identifiable. It won't bring her back to life, only break the spell, and for what....?
Cases like the pilot recently found by accident in the desert are a little different (I cringe at the thought of some toe-rag kicking the remains around.), but personally, in cases like Amelias, I'm all for allowing history a little dignity and letting sleeping dogs lie. After all, many sunken ships are treated with respect and left in peace. Sadly these 'recoveries' are often driven more by the egos of those involved. It's their 'hobby'...
Personally, I hope that she remains a mystery, enigmatic, - a whisp on the wind. :)

As Joni Mitchell sang;-

A ghost of aviation,
She was swallowed by the sky,
Or by the sea, like me she had a dream to fly,
Like Icarus ascending,
On beautiful foolish arms,
Amelia, it was just a false alarm.

S.

Member for

13 years

I am sure she is frying fish in the same chip shop as Elvis. Well both I and Martin Bormann think so.

Member for

18 years 1 month

I think the Bormann mystery was put to bed not so long ago with a DNA test.

Member for

13 years 7 months

Yes, off in the S.S. Minnow....with a first mate named Gilligan.

John, I'd have thought you could do better than that. (As my then-grade-school daughter used to say, "You're so funny I forgot to laugh.") Please visit tighar.org, and you'll see many photos of "SS Minnow." The University of Hawaii's research vessel, owned by the State, might surprise you.

Member for

19 years 5 months

John, I'd have thought you could do better than that. (As my then-grade-school daughter used to say, "You're so funny I forgot to laugh.") Please visit tighar.org, and you'll see many photos of "SS Minnow." The University of Hawaii's research vessel, owned by the State, might surprise you.

Sorry you didn't find it funny. I wasn't referring to the ship per se (that would not be funny) , but instead both departing from Honolulu made the comparision rather inevitable.
Still....both have (clueless?) folks running around a deserted island....
Gilligan/Gillespie....:D

I really don't have anything against TIGHAR...a friend bought me a fund raising Lockheed Vega bank with their logo years ago...and I even thought about joining at one point.
It's just I'm a bit tired of their antics...and the fact that after so long, they still haven't found anything other than "maybe/sorta/kinda looks like it if you squit" evidence that presumably keeps the donors interested...and keeps stringing along the media.

And their somehow getting involved in the UK beach P-38 is still rather odd.

It's getting a bit like UFOs and Bigfoot....in the days everyone having a cellphone camera, their excuses for not having decent evidence are coming to a close.

Member for

15 years

Well, here you are then... an alternative....

Hello to everyone that is interested in the Earhart and Noonan Mystery...

Expedition plans are afoot by the East New Britain Project Team !

I had planned to go back to the jungle around this time but the last Air Niugini aircraft check I attended in Singapore took longer than planned and the "boss" had already asked me to do the next one so I am committed. The next F100 maintenance check should end in September and we will be going again in October. Date yet to be fixed....

I now have two Metal Detectors. One for surface searching and one for deep searching. I now know that the wreck we seek is buried and I also know roughly the area where it is buried and the area of around five acres fits the description given to me by the ex-Lieutenant from the Patrol who is "still breathing" in Perth W.A. My information says it is buried by the side of a track and we know where they all are.... After the first trip last year, I went back in alone and scouted around with the local people when I heard the news that it was buried in late 1996 or early 1997, just before logging started in there again.

As to funding, the East New Britain Project has now been put on "Indiegogo", which is a public funding website and can be seen at:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/117588?a=379054 or by simply opening up the website www.indiegogo/projects and doing a search for Amelia Earhart.

It only went up three days ago. There is a short video on there from our 2006 expedition and among all the climbing hills shots is one shot of team member Jason in his tent with the rain pouring down and you can hardly hear him. That day's rain was the worst we have experienced in there, the camp was very nearly flooded.

The campaign for funding will last three months and we are asking for US$100,000.00 this is also to be able to produce a short film of our endeavours when we do find it. There are links to YouTube and to Facebook which also has some pictures.

I'd be happy to receive 20 Grand from the campaign as that would pay the cost of the expedition in October. I do not expect the funds to grow at a rapid rate and then I only expect that funds will trickle in until Gillespie comes back empty handed.... I say that tongue in cheek because there will be the "inevitable" twist to his story which somehow will keep Tighar in the public eye.... Maybe another turtle bone or "invisible DNA" this time !

The team in Los Angeles who are assisting me put the show on the road and I am grateful to them for that.

Therefore, all you interested people (including Stepwilk) if you wish to use Indiegogo, I will say, "Thankyou".

Regards,

David Billings
ex-682100 F/Sgt Billings
Flight Engineer, 110, 267 and 114 Squadrons, Royal Air Force...
now trying to hibernate in Australia....

Member for

19 years 7 months

Hello to everyone that is interested in the Earhart and Noonan Mystery...

Regards,

David Billings
ex-682100 F/Sgt Billings
Flight Engineer, 110, 267 and 114 Squadrons, Royal Air Force...
now trying to hibernate in Australia....

Interesting to see the video David - I hope it all goes well.