Ex-RAF fast jet for Newark air museum?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 4 months

I was speaking to someone at Waddington airshow yesterday and they mentioned a ex RAF fast jet would be joing Newark soon ( dont want to mention type as i dont know if its public knowlage???? )

Can anyone in the know confirm this ?

Thanks

Original post

Member for

12 years 7 months

Well it can only be a tornado or hawk. Tornado would make more sence.

Member for

18 years 2 months

That's news to me!! :eek:

The next major project involves raising a five figure sum for a new Object Storage building - donations gratefully accepted via this scheme!

Sorry Yorkie, at first I forgot the obvious question – what was the aircraft type that NAM was supposed to be getting?

Member for

18 years 2 months

:confused: WADR if there was anything in the offing re possible acquisitions I wouldn’t be on here responding to any speculation – look back at some of the comments re the Jaguar acquisition in March!

Gossip makes the world go round (especially on web fora) – sadly it doesn’t help acquire aircraft. :(

Member for

16 years 4 months

U want the aircraft posted up or shall I pm

Member for

24 years 3 months

Twotter wants the rumoured aircraft posted.

It doesn't need PM as he has made quite clear it does not exist

Moggy

Member for

18 years 2 months

:confused: Please feel free to post it Yorkie - the speculation might help with visitor numbers! :)

Member for

16 years 4 months

Okie doke:)

I was told by RAF aircrew while climbing in waddingtons F-4 that she will be going to Newark this year and is to be replaced there by a Hunter.

I didnt want to post strait up as i know the situtation with the British Phantoms and preservation.

If she dosent go to Newark then Bruntingthorpe are after her.

let the debate begin

Member for

24 years 3 months

Not a lot to debate ! Just speculation

Member for

17 years 6 months

You shouldn't really mention a Jaguar and fast jet in the same thread :D

Member for

18 years 2 months

I have just checked my archive and the first time I personally had any dealing with this rumour was in June 2009 and it resulted in a brief route survey being completed based on a photograph in the following report: from 2002!

This weekend’s gossip is by my reckoning the fifth time it has surfaced again since 2009 – the previous time being December 2011. Enquiries at that time seemed to indicate a normal tender / disposal route was the likely outcome for XV497. :(

That information was one of the reasons a decision was taken to successfully pursue Jaguar T2A XX829, as outlined in here!

That’s as honest as I can be – no doubt I’ll be proved wrong and it’ll be at NAM by the end of July!! :D

P.S. The contribution / donation link in the Jaguar news item is still live and all funds will be greatly appreciated!! :)

Member for

16 years 4 months

It would be a great shame if she is to be scrapped, If wot the RAF crew said and its to leave waddo this year. Its a shame this may just be a rumour as i had my hopes a Spey F-4 may be coming to live not too far away from me:(

Member for

18 years 2 months

For clarity my comment about the “normal tender / disposal route” wasn’t meant to imply scrapping; it merely alluded to any move from Waddington being undertaken via ‘official routes!’

Member for

16 years 8 months

Well it can only be a tornado or hawk. Tornado would make more sence.

Just mulling that over in my mind, with Scampton (Reds) and Leeming (100 sqn) within a 100 miles of Newark (which has a very strong RAF trainer flavour), how does the Tornado make more sense?

Must admit my brain is struggling this morning, so also wondering why a Phantom was appropriate, and why a Hunter will be appropriate to Waddo display, when a Vulcan already performs the duty?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Pagen -No23Squadron which disbanded in 2009 at Waddington used to be a Phantom unit at Wattisham. The Phantom was a Squadron display airframe.

No8 Squadron which is a current Sentry unit flew Hunters in the Middle East hence the interest.

Member for

16 years 4 months

Yep david is correct

Member for

16 years 8 months

Wondered if it was a unit thing, but thought all stations were relegated to a single frame policy.
Phantom would be nice back at Saints!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Pagen - Its not long since the last Phantom was scrapped at Saints!

Member for

16 years 8 months

I know I posted the pictures here at the time, as you may realise times and people (crucially) change!
Anyway not an entirely serious suggestion.

Member for

16 years 2 months

i heard the same rumour from waddington personnel

Member for

18 years 2 months

As I mentioned in a previous post this rumour is nothing new.

One evening in spring 2011 I received a very ‘irate’ email from a museum member who had been at NAM helping to guide a ‘Force Development Group from RAF Waddington’ around the museum – in the email that person demanded to know why the member’s hadn’t been told about the impending arrival of XV497, which they had been assured was going to arrive at Newark in weeks!

We’re still waiting!!

Re-the Hunter mentioned on this thread I believe the airframe in question has been (or is being) worked on at Barkston Heath.