Flying Bulls P38 puts in at Sumburgh

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hi folks,

Surprise of the day today, especially as it started off disastrously, with no breakfast in a rain-swept and icy Lerwick. Some holiday!

I can tell you that the Flying Bulls (I think that's the Red Bull collection's name, isn't it?) P38 is currently at Sumburgh in Shetland. I gather from a local who seemed to have been listening in that she arrived at about 2pm this afternoon, diverting to avoid the weather (which was utter sh*te at the time - squally showers, limited visibility and strong onshore winds), and might spend a little time there as she's got a hydraulic problem. Can't be too bad - read on for more.

I spotted her by total fluke - was at Jarlshof and looked over to the airport when I realised that something unexpected was sat on the apron. Borrowed some binos, and could see that it was a P38 (or I'd gone stark staring bonkers). I drove back towards the airport and pulled up for a better look, and had just got out of the car when one engine fired! Closely followed by the other, and she started to taxi down the not-in-use-today runway - ran for the car to head for the threshold of the runway in use (for those not familiar, the road crosses the runway, with flashing lights when the runway is in use), and she turned in behind some hangars rather than head for the threshold - not what we really wanted to see, but got a couple of shots of her through the fence.

Sadly, as I'm on holiday, I can't download the pics so you'll have to take my word for it - by the time I'm back next week I expect it will be old news.

Adrian

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Reminds me of the FW-190 that got lost and ended up at Pembry!

Member for

18 years 1 month

Where's she coming from? Norway?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Where's she coming from? Norway?

So I heard - no idea as to the source my informant got it from, though.

Adrian

Member for

19 years

I wonder where it could be heading. Mmmm :diablo::D

Brian

Member for

17 years 8 months

It's a race against time Brian ~ will we arrive at "DX" this morning before it does :eek:

Member for

19 years

I'll be at work, using the term 'work' very loosely now, wandering around places I've never been to or had any dealings with getting signatures for my get out of Wyton/Civil Service/MOD chit. :D

Brian

Member for

24 years 2 months

I wonder where it could be heading. Mmmm :diablo::D

Le... Le... Le...

Lerwick?:diablo:

Adrian

Member for

16 years 7 months

She's a beauty:)

So is the scenery and your photos, thanks for sharing. Must have been a long time waiting to catch this unusual aircraft in such a unique setting!

Member for

12 years 6 months

Oh my she's looking good! Can't wait to see her again! :D

Member for

16 years 4 months

Stunning shots!

Member for

13 years 6 months

Cheers, I'll try and get a few shots when she departs:) First P38 I've seen - quite a bit bigger than I imagined.

John

Member for

24 years 2 months

You lucky, lucky, lucky etc! (looks for the jealous as hell smiley)

I'm guessing it wasn't you taking photos after she'd parked up outside the hangar, then, as yours are, I think, all taken in front of the terminal. If you look behind in the third pic, I spotted her from the Earl's house at Jarlshof - can you see me waving?:D

Lovely stuff on your Flickr, by the way - we had a list of things we really wanted to see as long as my arm that I'd have been happy as a sandboy if we'd seen a couple of... and I think otter are the only thing left we've missed thus far. Funny - P38s weren't on it, but a cracking bonus!

Adrian

Member for

13 years 6 months

^
For otters, you could try the little bay called Boddam, in the south mainland, to the east of Mainlands shop. Been there last 4 mornings from 8ish til lunchtime. Should see them fishing below the old house close to shore.

Or, Toft ferry terminal is also good. 2-3 hours before high tide is normally best.
:)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Now tucked up at Duxford as per the many reports on TFC Diary today ;)

Member for

19 years 8 months

Red Bull P-38 Pilot

Is this a paid position?
If so, doe's the pilot pay Red Bull to do what he is doing!

Member for

13 years

Looks superb. One question though what do you polish it with?

Member for

20 years

Love, of course;)

Member for

16 years 4 months

A great deal of care