Arrester hook i.d

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 5 months

I'm thinking Gannet AS. Can anyone confirm?

Rob

Original post

Member for

20 years 8 months

Gannet or Seahawk?

Member for

16 years 5 months

Confirmed by previous owner thats its not Seahawk, which made me think Gannet too :).

Rob

Member for

20 years 8 months

What is the stores number on it,
27H/?????:)

Member for

16 years 5 months

Sadly Andrew despite plenty of scrubbing and squirts of WD40 to help make them more legible, the digits are proving hard to read :(

Rob

Member for

14 years 1 month

RN Skyraider?

Member for

16 years 5 months

Thats an interesting thought Al. Will see if i can find a close up of that one.

Rob

Member for

20 years

The photo flash hasn't helped display the digits on the casting : why not try a rubbing with a soft pencil or crayon on a piece of paper over them? Might help a bit to establish the numbers/letters, then the lads here in the know might tie it down from their various parts listings : I have no access to such info, not that I would ever need it, not being a collector of bits!:)

Member for

18 years 6 months

Have a look at this pic of our Museum's Gannet at Coventry
To me the claw of the hook looks wider on the Gannet than the hook you have? Seems to be the same screw end fitting though?

Member for

17 years 5 months

Or rub a bit of chalk into them then wipe off, I do that for drill bits.

Member for

16 years 5 months

bms44 & TonyT - Thanks for the suggestions. Will give them a try tomorrow when i've dug it out again.

hunterxf382 - Nice photo of the T.2. And yes i see what you mean. I'm pretty sure its not from an AEW.3 Gannet either as it looked very different to Newarks example.

Rob

Member for

16 years 7 months

Pretty sure not AEW, less certain about it being earlier Gannets. I must admit I thought some of these hook ends were generic across some FAA types.

Member for

16 years 5 months

Cheers Ben, it was good to meet you too :). The hook came to me from the owner of a Seahawk cockpit / rear fuselage, and he was adament that it isn't Seahawk. The only thing i do know is that its definately not Wyvern, unfortunately :D

Rob

Member for

16 years 5 months

James, i don't suppose you have any pics of the back end of Yeoviltons Skyraider AEW.1's do you? I'm pretty sure its not a Raider hook, but i can't find anything close up on them to be sure.

Rob

Member for

20 years

I must admit I thought some of these hook ends were generic across some FAA types.

Would agree with James about the universality of these hooks :it would make sound economic sense to mass produce them for use on several types of aircraft, and the rigours of deck landings and wire traps would cause fairly heavy wear necessitating unscrewing and replacement.(Visualise the sparks from the steel deck when the wire was engaged).
The digits will be the clincher though: but have we considered other FAA types, Sea Venom, Sea Fury, Sea Balliol,etc., all somewhat
lighter than the Gannets or Skyraiders. Must be an artificer out there who remembers a large metal box in the Pusser stores chock full of the things! I'll follow this with interest . Brian S.

Member for

16 years 7 months

James, i don't suppose you have any pics of the back end of Yeoviltons Skyraider AEW.1's do you?

I haven't unfortunately, I'm just thinking out aloud here but that hook looks to have a very tight inner radius (compared to say Gannet/Vixen), could that signify smaller type, earlier type, or even an airfield RHAG type hook?

Member for

19 years 6 months

Thats it ! Thats the picture I was thinking of when I saw yours.
What are the differences.

Edit - Forget that :D Completely different shape when looking from above.

Member for

16 years 5 months

Ok, despite numerous attempts to try and get my hook numbers to make themselves more legible to help with its i.d, including members suggestions, i have failed miserably and given up. But, what i have done is gone into Duxford and, with the kind help of a member of staff i've taken some close ups of their Gannet ECM.6 and Seahawk FB.5 arrester hook beaks.
After studying them all i'm still none the wiser as when viewed from above where the hook attaches to the arm, mine has an extended part of the casting before the threaded section, but the other two don't appear to have it.

A completely different type perhaps, or maybe somethings been altered or is not original? :confused:

Rob

Attachments