Halifax Photo on Flickr

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 2 months

Everynow and again I do a trawl on flickr to find new photos for my Bomber Command group.

The latest gem:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boringblurb/6413066407/

Can anyone tell me and the owner any more about it? Is it an OTU aircraft?

Thanks

Original post

Member for

15 years 4 months

Those are post-war codes, and the aircraft has the hole for an agent-dropper (or paratrooper).

FEP.x codes belong to 21 HGCU (Heavy Glider Conversion Unit) so the aircraft is probably an A Mk.7 in use as a glider tug. Combat Codes gives as an example FEP.D PP374. Flying Training and Support Units quote the same example and state that the unit was disbanded 3.12.47.

Is it possible to read the serial from the original?

Member for

15 years 11 months

I looked at the enlargement and couldn't make out the serial. It looks like it might be PP??7.

It's indeed a Halifax of 21 HGCU and based on the markings I'd guess it's taken between April 1946 and June 1947 which means it's taken at either RAF Elsham Wolds or RAF North Luffenham.

Judging by the photo and one preceding it it looks like a ground loop. Aircraft seems to of come off the pavement at speed, spun and the port tyre has come off the rim and dug in.

Interestingly I have a picture of FEPB another Halifax from the same unit with the exact same markings.

If it is PP??? the AB Halifax file has several PP??? Halifaxes listed as serving with 21 HGCU, all sold for scrap in 16th December 1948, except PP373, which crashed on take off from North Luffenham 17/05/47.

Simon

Member for

17 years 2 months

Thanks everyone for the input. Including it the Bomber Command group might not be right it seems..but I assume the aircraft likely had wartime service?

For some reason I assumed glider operations would have ended with the end of WW2! It never occured to me it might be being used for that post-war.

Member for

15 years 4 months

Halifax A Mk.IXs were built as such, and were postwar types. Bomber Command got rid of its Halifaxes rapidly in the interests of standardisation, but one A Mk.IX did get into Coastal Command as a trainer for the Met. units.

The A Mk.VIIs were also purpose built, but that may not be true of the A Mk.IIIs. I suspect they were all new build.

Member for

15 years 11 months

Excuse the thread necromancy but I think I've identified the aircraft/incident in question. :)

From the 21 HGCU ORB:

"Elsham Wolds, Nov. 18th 1946 - Halifax PP367 burst port tyre on landing 22.15 hrs. Cat AC. No Casualties."

Of related interest Halifax VII PP377 (FEPB) suffered a similar accident after burst tyre in August the same year.