battle in britain

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 10 months

Ok lads up for discussion
did the real battle of britain really start in scotland, with the first enemy aircraft shot down in the battle of the forth 16th oct 1939(junkers 88) and on the 27th october 1939 a heinkell 111 please discuss your vews.

Original post

The 'official' dates of the Battle of Britain are, in any case, entirely arbitary and based upon little else than the whim of the AOC Fighter Command.

Member for

18 years 10 months

However, there is a distinct difference between skirmish and a battle.

Yes, the LW was sending a few aircraft over in late 1939 & early 1940... mainly on recon and/or harassment missions, or on specific raids on specific targets, but they had yet to commit a dedicated force to an aerial offensive intended to cripple Britain.

It was only after the Fall of France that that aerial offensive began in earnest, and it is that escalation of effort which marks the end of the skirmishes and the beginning of the Battle!

I suppose the question is; how many skirmishes make a battle?

What we have as the official dates for the Battle are entirely artificial and 'made up'. This isn't being "Dr North-ish" but is certainly a statement of fact. The battle had no clearly defined start or end, but dates were set by the Air Ministry as much for administrative purposes as anything. In other words, if you flew one operational flight in the official period with an accredited squadron then you were a BofB pilot and entitled to the clasp to the 39-45 star. If outside that period, you weren't.

The dates were certainly entirely arbitary. Originally (by 1941, that is) they had been set as 8 August to 31 October and post-war the start date was retrospectively set at 10 July in another wholly arbitary and 'artificial' decision.

Just a pet hate.

Some people here take time and trouble to answer queries, or enter debates, at the behest of some poster or other....then....nothing.

Don't you just hate that? I do.

Member for

12 years 3 months

Perhaps he realised the utter pointlessness of the debate.

Perhaps. But he did ask, so was presumably interested in some input.

Whilst you could be right in terms of its 'pointlessness' I cannot help thinking that the matter of the dates of the Battle of Britain, and how they were set, are quite intriguing. Perhaps I should just get out more.....! :D

Member for

11 years 10 months

One can play with dates in several valid ways. However for the Battle of Britain to start the Battle of France must first have ended. In fact I recall the 1969 movie actually starts with Churchill's quote to that effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_France

The official Fall of France was June 25... the official commencement of the Battle of Britain was July 10 with the first attacks on shipping in the English Channel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Britain

The three weeks between June 25 and July 10 allowed both sides to rest and recuperate.

The first (air) attacks on shipping in the English Channel were long before 10 July 1940.

Whilst 10 July is now the "official" start date of the Battle of Britain it is a matter of fact that it is entirely artificial.

Member for

11 years 10 months

I really must thank you for your replies.
i joined this forum for my interest in avaition,not to get into a (POINTLESS)
argument.I really thought i was asking valid question,apparantly not.
In this matter i do not think that Official dates really matter all i was pointing out that the first air battle started in scotland, and then continued on to the official battle of britain, but the families that lost a loved one it will be ok because they were only killed in a small (skirmish)please if you want a debate ,make it a debate and not say some thing is pointless it may mean something to someone.
and on that note i may add that 603squ (city of edinburgh)went on to be the highest scoring SQU in the battle of britain and earn one pilot the first DFC
and it all started with a skirmish.

Member for

13 years 6 months

What then was "the battle of barking creek", neither a battle nor a skirmish but men died all the same; is 603 sqn's tally relevant to the discussion?

Member for

11 years 10 months

totally missed the point

Member for

13 years 6 months

Would that be me, or you?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Aren't several of you missing the point?

As Andy has said the dates are purely arbitrary. You could say the Battle of Britain started on the 3rd September 1940 and ended in May of 1945. The comment about losing a loved one in a small skirmish being seen differently to the death of a pilot in a larger engagement is disingenuous to say the least. It is no accident that the headstones supplied by the CWGC are uniform. It is precisely to show that one death is as significant as any other, be it that of a VC holder lost in action or an AC2 who died when he fell off his motorcycle.

Debate is just that, an exchange of ideas, and I see precious little evidence of that in this thread.

Regards,

kev35

Exactly so, Kev.

However, having attempted to debate (as Gordon2990 desired) it now appears that the views offered are a pointless argument.

"Did the real Battle of Britain start in Scotland sometime in 1939?" was the question posed. I perhaps unreasonably assumed that the originator of the thread wanted to discuss the actual start dates of the said battle.

Its a funny old world, sometimes.

Member for

15 years

Quote'What then was "the battle of barking creek", neither a battle nor a skirmish but men died all the same; is 603 sqn's tally relevant to the discussion?'Quote

At the time it would probably have been called (officially) a disastrous mistake, or (unofficially) complete c*ck up. These days it would be sanitised as friendly fire! I really hate that term, people still die or get injured.

Back on topic, I think it right to say that no debate on it is pointless as any battle or skirmish will have had an impact on someone but Andy is right, it is impossible to have definitive dates. It could be argued that the whole war was a battle of Britain, our fate depended on the outcome.

Kev - I must have been typing this when you put your post up (or have been blind for a minute or two).

Member for

11 years 10 months

The Battle of Barking Creek was a pure misnomer. The expression 'Barking Creek' appears to have been used in much the same way as 'Wigan Pier'. It was a throw-away comment.

The actual combat was on the Essex/Suffolk border while the one fatal victim, Montague Hulton-Harrap crashed in Suffolk.

He is buried at North Weald.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/88/219454297_35120571e9.jpg
Pilot Officer Montague Hulton-Harrap - North Weald by Whipper_snapper, on Flickr

The actual incident was a fatal accident. Such things happen, even in war-time.

Member for

11 years 10 months

The first (air) attacks on shipping in the English Channel were long before 10 July 1940.

Whilst 10 July is now the "official" start date of the Battle of Britain it is a matter of fact that it is entirely artificial.

My understanding is that July 10 saw the first sanctioned and systematic attacks on shipping. As you say shipping had been liable to attack since at least the Dunkirk evacuation.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Britain#Channel_battles

Certainly not the case that 10 July saw the "first sanctioned and systematic attacks on shipping". There is virtually no relevance to the 10 July 1940 date in the context of the air campaign we now know to have been the Battle of Britain. Reliance on Wikipedia is not always....well...reliable! Not sure if thats what the page says exactly as I haven't ploughed through it.

As for Barking Creek, not exactly a mis-nomer as such. It became known thus in RAF circles (and notwithstanding that it took place over the Essex/Suffolk border) and was just an example of 'black-humour' coming into play by RAF FC pilots - somebody coined the phrase as a joke, and the name stuck. It was never called Battle of Barking Creek because it was fought there, or because anyone thought that it had been.

I knew Hulton-Harrop's brother and have some nice photos of M L Hulton-Harrop; he was RAF Fighter Command's first casualty 'in action' over the UK.

However, 'Barking Creek', although a self-inflicted wound, does take us back to the originally posed question; what might be considered the real commencement of the Battle of Britain? Officially, it will always remain 10 July, but that is as an arbitary start date as is the end date! Lots of other dates can be suggested, but ultimately Dowding made the date decision post-war.