Nimrod MR4 Simulators

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 7 months

It has come to my attention that the MOD are selling off the complete Nimrod MR4 Training System including 2 Full Flight Mission simulators. Would it be pesumptous to sugghest that one of these could be acquired by Hendon or Cosford as a static item (ie not on motion).
Using modern Power PCs to provide drive to the flight Instruments and provide an OTS visual saystem, would, I dare to suggesrt give Joe Pubilc a better idea of ther worload osf a Pilot, and the amount of amount of automation that has revolutionised the presentation of information to the crew.
I am aware of only 2 simulators in museums, Concorde in the Brooklands museum, and a Phantom at NEAM. No doubt I will be inundated with lists of other museums who have a Link D4 trainer, but I would like to see one of the big boys toys preserved for posterity

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Problem is that there is no reason for RAFM to acquire these, as they didnt enter service with the RAF.

Member for

17 years 7 months

The two MR2 simulators are being sold as well.

ONLINE AUCTION

6 X NIMROD FLIGHT SIMULATORS
All incomplete but suitable for re-engineering to suit a number of various aircraft types

2 x MRA4 Dynamic Motion Simulators
Built by Thales Training and Simulation in 2002
Model c2000 x m2k Full Flight Simulator
Installation N°s 5662094 - 040 and 56619474 -040
Each Including Cockpit Shell, Air Conditioning Unit, 5 x Projective Units and Mirror, Skid Mounted, Hydraulic Power Pack, Drawbridge Escape Ladder, Flooring, Skirting etc.
No Motion Legs Available
(For Sale as Two Units or Piecemeal)

2 x MRA4 Static Simulators
Built by Thales Training & Simulation in 2002
Model C200X Fixed Training Device
Installation N°s 56619475-040 and 566209-040
Each Include Cockpit Shell, Hydraulic Power Pack for Powering Controls
Flooring and Skirting

2 x MR2 Dynamic Motion Simulator
Manufactured by Rediffusion
Inc Legs for 1 x Simulator Only, Leg Mounting Brackets, 6 x Nitrogen Accumulator Bottles, Approx 200 PCBs Type 1806 Linkage, Air Conditioning Unit, Skid Mounted Hydraulic Power Pack, 3 x Projectors and Reflection Mirror, Air Compressors, Drawbridge and Escape Ladder, Gantry, Flooring Skirts etc

Ancillary Equipment
Inc 3 x Compressors Skid Mounted Breathing Air Unit, 10 x Mobrush Electrical Transformers, 8 x Simulator Support Trestles etc

Buyers Premium 15% + VAT
Auction Closes From 12 Noon BST Thursday 14th June
Viewing 13th June Strictly By Appointment Only
Register at www.bidspotter.co.uk

Member for

18 years 2 months

dailee1,

'Simulators' at Newark Air Museum include: Argosy Procedures Trainer (ex-XN819); Phantom Simulator (ex-Coningsby & Wattisham); Gnat Procedures Trainer; Jet Provost Procedures Trainer; Swift Procedures Trainer (CIM); Slingsby Firefly CIM; Nimrod Procedure Panels (unserviceable); and two Link Trainers.

These items are available in varying degrees of operability and access! :)

Plus before anyone comments further - I doubt the museum would look to acquire these latest items!

Member for

24 years 3 months

re;

I allways wanted a go in the f4 and argosy ones - but was told they dont work.

what became of the victor simulator that was in Lincolnshire at one point?

Member for

18 years 2 months

Sadly the lofty plans for the F4 never came to fruition – too difficult to support in its original format and too complicated to upgrade to PLC operation; it is readily accessible during open cockpit events, but remains a static exhibit.

The Argosy is operational, here is an update from the member’s newsletter in spring 2010 – “Over the winter period the building constructed around the Argosy procedures trainer at Newark Air Museum has been refurbished. This has allowed extensive restoration work to be undertaken on the Argosy procedures trainer that was originally built by the RAF from the cockpit of XN819.

This restoration work is almost complete, with approximately 98% of the systems being operational again. In the coming weeks new operating procedures will be finalised for what looks set to be a popular addition to the museum’s ‘open cockpit’ offering to the public.” :)

IIRC the ex-Leadenham Victor simulator was recently up for sale!

Member for

19 years 9 months

Had the lucky chance to fly the MR4 sim at the kinloss families day a few years back.
Great fun ;)

Member for

16 years 7 months

Simulators for preservation

[QUOTE=Bruce;1895484]Problem is that there is no reason for RAFM to acquire these, as they didnt enter service with the RAF.[/QUOTE

Point taken, but how often does the opportunity to acquire a state of the art flight simulator arise.

If indoor space is a problem then JaguarV, Jetstream T!, Lynx AH7, all the Tornadoes and 2 Harrier GR 7/ simulators came in self contained buildings which only require a concrete hardstanding. (I can foresee a problem moving the 26ft dia visual dome for the Harriers, but that is another story)

Member for

24 years 3 months

re;

With most cockpits being out of bounds, any simulator would make an ideal hands on exhibit. Most sane folk would not be too bothered that the sim is for an MR4a as opposed to an MR or R1 - most of us just want to play! How many grown adults still enjoy playing in cockpits? At the YAM I saw a gentleman lovingly stroke one of the Buccs then climb into her muttering all of the checks, then making engine noises loudly. Good on him!

Member for

14 years 1 month

The "blurb" above says they come with "cockpit shells", I assume this
includes all instrumentation ?

Member for

24 years 3 months

re;

what do they mean by piecemeal?

you would think a film studio would snap them up, the potential is beyond limits.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Playing with them, and being able to afford running and maintaining them is something else.
I'm sure I read that the Victor sim was live at Elvington (?) but they stopped running it due to cost.
When complete with all the kit necesary to make them work they take up a huge amount of space.

I remember the Nimrod sim at St Mawgan (may even be one of these above)would love to see the MR.2 ones saved in a museum for sure.

Member for

24 years 3 months

re;

they do not need to be powered up all the time. the electric bill would be pretty bad. The Lanc cockpit (what became of it) at Waddington was great all you heard was a recording of crew chatter and it felt fantastic.