Sea Venom panel

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 9 months

Hi Guys,
Acquired thisAustralian Navy Sea venom panel last weekend...and as you can see it's still missing a couple bits to complete.
Would anyone know which parts they are? and if they are available? Not shown in this picture is an oval slot in the horizontal position too... maybe a flaps gauge fits here?
Also missing the caging knob and arm for the gyro horizon.

Hi Guys,
Acquired this sea venom panel last weekend...and as you can see it's still missing a couple bits to complete.
Would anyone know which parts they are? and if they are available? Not shown in this picture is an oval slot in the horizontal position too... maybe a flaps gauge fits here?
Also missing the caging knob and arm for the gyro horizon.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x224/ausflyboy/20120527_155002.jpg

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers,
Chris

Original post

Member for

16 years 8 months

Very nice.
I'm not that familiar with Sea Venom panels, but I would say it's missing a rate of climb indicator (up/down) which would go in the hole next to the artificial horizon, and perhaps an jet pipe temperature (JPT) guage in the hole to the right of that, under the RPM guage.

These would be fairly generic and easy items to come by, in fact I not long got rid of an EGT guage.

I'm also thinking that the turn/slip guage you have is possibly not the correct type, and that the newer needle and ball in fluid type would be fitted, but perhaps the Australian variants didn't use that.

Member for

16 years 8 months

I would also add that it looks like that it has meant to have a Thorne Plastek/Translite overlay panel.
This is a black finished facia panel with the wording etc in white, it is atached to your main panel by a multitude of small red lighting bulb holders (note all the small holes in the your panel), the effect is that the instruments and lettering shine red when the lights are on - looks fantastic when working.
The Sea Vixen uses the same system, and I must admit that I hadn't realised that it was used previously, again perhaps peculiar to late or Australian models.

Looking briefly at pics of RAN Sea Venom FAW.53 cockpits it does look like the later type of needle/ball turn and slip was used by those variants.

The larger holes at the bottom look like they would take standard 'dolls eyes' indicators, perhaps for fuel management etc.

A copy of the pilots Notes would be very handy for your project.

Edit, a flaps position guage normally goes to the left of the U/C selector lever.

Member for

18 years 9 months

Hi Pagen, thanks for the reply...seems you may be spot on. Would anyone know the ref # for the dolls eye lights ?

Member for

24 years 3 months

The Plastek overlay was used on later Sea Venoms in FAA service.

I suggest that the ASI fitted is incorrect, but it may be RAN specific. The fuel gauge is out of a Vampire T11, and is quite different to the Sea Venom type. RPM gauge is wrong too - its a 5000 RPM type, should be 20,000 RPM. I also think the Machmeter is too early, and should be a later type.

I can help with some of the missing stuff - Drop me a PM!

Bruce

Member for

16 years 8 months

I was going to say about the ASI, it doesn't seem to read high enough.

Dolls eyes usualy start Dowty 5CZ/.... (5CZ/5071 example), there are a few different versions but they should all fill the holes in the panel.

Bruce is your man for sure, as he most likely has the correct parts list access, aswel as the parts you need!

Member for

16 years

[ATTACH]205729[/ATTACH]

hopefully this may help you unfortunatley forgot where I borrowed it from so apologies to the owner

Attachments

Member for

18 years 9 months

This panels last flight was June 1960 if that helps with layout :)

Member for

15 years 2 months

Very nice panel!
The ASI I believe is out of the T35 Vampire trainer, does it have a part number on it? I have been looking for one for a wile so if you don't need it I would be glad to give it a home.
I have a venom Mach meter but not sure if the sea Venom is the same and
maybe a RPM indicator,I will check both soon.
Heres a link that i hope works to a pic of a RAN Sea Venom in Adelaide, I had a sit in this one a few weeks ago and it all looks fairly undisturbed and original.

http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6049833&nseq=2

Member for

17 years

In regards to the photo A79-RAAFVampire linked to;

it doesn't say much about the quality of the lamps in the Plastek overlay when you needed 4 spare ones within easy reach!

Member for

16 years 8 months

I think that could be due to how hard they are to find in quantity, I've certainly struggled for my Vixen panels.
The bulbs blow for a past time and the actual holders, and the rubber gromit, can overheat and melt, welding the facia panel to the main panel behind!
Looking at the pic it seems the majority are missing.

Lovely pic A79-RAAFVampire, nice to see the observers AI set in place, as is the one in DH112s attachment.