Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dutch Spitfires in the NEI

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justplanecrazy
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Oct 2007

Dutch Spitfires in the NEI

Hi all, can anyone direct me to any work/photos of the Dutch use of Spitfires in the east indies post War? I know they were there just doesn't seem to be much info about.

Cheers

Nick
  • GliderSpit
    Flying Dutchman
    • Aug 2006

Hi Nick,

In this book: "Dutch Spitfires" by Harry van der Meer and The Melchers ISBN 90 6471 217 4, you will find some information.
    Last edited by GliderSpit; 25th May 2012, 12:12. Reason: Not as much information as I first thought
    Possunt quia posse videntur (They can because they think they can; motto RAF 19 Squadron)

tracesofwar.com/

Comment

• Archer
      Innocent bystander
      • Nov 2003

Actually there were two books:
      - Dutch Spitfires part 1, by Harry van der Meer
      - Dutch Spitfires part 2: A Technical Study, by Harry van der Meer & Theo Melchers
      The ISBN number above is for the second volume which is the large format book with lots of photos. The first part is a small volume which mainly lists all the relevant numbers and dates. I don't know if the first volume has a ISBN number, it may have been privately published. If there's anything specific you're after then give a shout and I'll see if I can locate mine in the basement.
      A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

Comment

• justplanecrazy
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Oct 2007

Dutch Spitfires

Originally posted by Archer View Post
        Actually there were two books:
        - Dutch Spitfires part 1, by Harry van der Meer
        - Dutch Spitfires part 2: A Technical Study, by Harry van der Meer & Theo Melchers
        The ISBN number above is for the second volume which is the large format book with lots of photos. The first part is a small volume which mainly lists all the relevant numbers and dates. I don't know if the first volume has a ISBN number, it may have been privately published. If there's anything specific you're after then give a shout and I'll see if I can locate mine in the basement.

Hi Archer

I am after enough info to model a couple, I believe the Dutch had T.9s as well as F.9s, so stuff like period photos & a little history of use etc,

Cheers for the replies folks

Nick

Comment

• Archer
          Innocent bystander
          • Nov 2003

If you want to model the NEI ones, then the two-seaters won't be an option as they never left Holland. I'd say you need to get a copy of the second volume as mentioned above as that offers all you need. I'll see if I can find mine and scan something for you but I won't be able to scan the entire book.

I did a quick google and volume 1 is available through abebooks: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...ires&x=55&y=16

There are images of both books halfway down this page: http://www.strijdbewijs.nl/boeken/spitfire.htm
          It lists a lot of Spitfire books (explanation in Dutch, you could try a google translation) including one about the 'Indonesian Spitfires' (by Nico Geldhof/Luuk Boerman) just below the Dutch Spitfires volumes. I don't know this book myself but since its newer it could be easier to find.
          A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
          X