Battle of Britain Pilot Memorial Stolen For Scrap

Read the forum code of contact

Perhaps to time has come to replace all such memorials with look-alike Bronze resin since connecting these memorials to the National Grid is not an option:

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Memorial-Battle-Britain-pilot-shot-Westerham/story-16173400-detail/story.html

Words no longer fail me since this kind of thing is now a daily event.

Original post

Member for

14 years 6 months

Yet again

:mad:

Can't we just bring back hanging!

Always thought (in my liberal view) that lamp posts are under used in this country!

MS

Member for

16 years 8 months

Disgusting...surely the scrap yards that take these are equally to blame; they must know what they are being given.:mad:

Member for

12 years 2 months

Yes, plenty of scrap yards do not care where things have come from. They are more to blame than the thieves.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Of course, there is the chance that it wasn’t taken for scrap...

...I doubt any scrapyard would have given three quid for it (especially knowing its likely source)! :(

Member for

13 years 4 months

It's the scrap yards that are the problem. The places are predominantly owned and run by unscrupulous underworld criminal scumbag types who are more than happy to pay money to other scumbags for anything, whether it be a memorial plaque or a church roof. The Police raided one in South London the other day and found a 1 ton bronze dragon and a load of memorial plaques.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/crime/stolen-oneton-dragon-found-in-police-raid-on-scrapyard-7762462.html

Of course, there is the chance that it wasn’t taken for scrap...

...I doubt any scrapyard would have given three quid for it (especially knowing its likely source)! :(

I cannot think why else it would be taken, unless just wanton vandalism of course.

Opportunist metal thieves just take anything and everything - including drain covers. As a single item, a drain cover is not going to be worth very much. The point is, I think, that items like this just go to make up the weight of a bulk load.

As for scrap dealers....they are supposed to take car numbers and names and addresses for what worth it would be. Do they hell! I took a load down a few months ago of accumulated junk including some copper pipes. It was weighed and I was paid, and that was it. No questions asked.

(PS - And no, it didn't come from my village hall!!!)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Words no longer fail me since this kind of thing is now a daily event.

Quite so. :mad:

Moggy

Member for

17 years 6 months

I cannot think why else it would be taken...

I thought maybe there was the possibility that somebody who had an ‘interest’ took it. :o

I take your point about the ‘modus operandi’ of the scrap thieves though.....it is a sad world we live in!

Member for

14 years 7 months

I went for a job at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission in Maidenhead.
They give you a small tour of their museum which explains how they create and maintain the graves including the large memorial with the sword.
The sword is now made of plastic as the bronze ones were often stolen for scrap and cost a fortune to replace.

CD

If somebody 'with an interest' took it, then in my book they are lower-lives than any opportunist metal thief. And more unpleasant. And why would they take it and what would they do with it?

Member for

15 years 11 months

What Scum Bags !

Member for

17 years 6 months

If somebody 'with an interest' took it, then in my book they are lower-lives than any opportunist metal thief.

I agree entirely. It is not something that I have any evidence of and, I hasten to add, it is absolutely not something that I would condone in any way but I think there is the possibility that certain artefacts taken from memorials are not actually taken for their scrap value (although I concede that that is what happens in the vast majority of such cases).

There is something desperately sad and just plain 'wrong' about the bronze swords on The Cross of Sacrifice being replaced with plastic ones. I can understand why. But....

We have reached a place where the value of the sacrifices made is only (symbolicaly) worthy of a plastic toy-box sword.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Sadly all too common now..just happened to the church in our village,but I`m sure as with previous local thieves and drugpushers..they will be found out,taken away and given a good beating.................allegedly.This ,so I`m told,works.

Member for

17 years 6 months

We have reached a place where the value of the sacrifices made is only (symbolicaly) worthy of a plastic toy-box sword.

We could try one of these...

...I’d like to see the b******s try and carry that off! :diablo:

(I hope everybody recognises this.....and, yes, it really is that big!)

Attachments

Member for

16 years 8 months

The [scrap metal dealers] who are prepared to accept lead and not ask any questions are as guilty as those who steal it.’

quite right too......................

Member for

17 years 6 months

The thief and dealer should be sentenced to a months mine clearance duties in Afghanistan, get them to walk in front of patrols for that period.... That will educate them.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Terrible. There are modern resins that are really good that if bronze dust is used in the 'gel coat' look the bees.....at least these scum bags would not profit. The other thing would be a tracker device

Member for

17 years 6 months

There is some of this ‘plastic’ brass in a park near me.....it is so good there are signs on it saying it is fake! :rolleyes: