Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wellington (?) Crash 30 October 1942

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stickman
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Sep 2008

Wellington (?) Crash 30 October 1942

In finding out all about the recent Lancaster flypast at Bellingdon, I came accross another incident which, so far, has no answers.

It starts with an oak tree - split from top to bottom. The web published info is to be found at

http://www.chilternsaonb.org/ccbmaps...asted-oak.html

This does not go into much detail - here is the story in more detail as recounted by Michael Dady, who was 5 at the time:
    On 30 th October 1942 on a very foggy morning a plane (I think a Wellington) crashed into Baldwins Wood at the bottom of Taylors Lane just up in the woods from its junction with Bottom Lane. My Father and his mates, George Jaycock and Bill Compton heard the crash and ran from a field called 'Old Grass' near Arrewig Farm about 1.5 miles from the site. When Dad got to the site, guided by exploding ammunition, they found a gruesome sight but managed to pull two persons alive from the wreckage. Unfortunately they died before medical asistance arrived. Some days later, Mum, Dad and I were walking home to Chivery when we came accross George Jaycock with an International TD6 crawler tractor trying to get this very large object into the air to allow an RAF trailer to back under. They had a wire hawser over this oak tree and the TD6 was struggling to elevate it. Mum and I were put in a safe place and Dad went over to help. I laugh when I recall seeing him swinging from the hawser, all 12 stone of him, trying to give a little extra lift. Suddenly there was an almighty crack and all further attempts were abandoned as the trunk of the tree had split. I learned later that the 'big object' was a bomb door from the aircraft. their efforts were recognised by a letter from the Bucks Chief Constable and the Permanent Air Ministry Sec. of State, an excerpt of which is as follows: '..the assistance you rendered when a RAF aircraft crashed in Baldwins Wood, Wendover involving the loss of many lives...' I always thought that some very important people were killed..'

Hunting around has not produced any information on this crash so can I appeal for assistance, please? Thanks.
  • paulmcmillan
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jan 2000

Air Britian has

"30.10.42 Hudson III V8983 24 Sqn Bordon Wood, Wendover, Bucks. flew into high ground"

methinks this is a typo and should be Baldwins Wood (there is a Borden Wood in Sussex) as Baldwins Wood is near Wendover, Bucks.
    Weather - Fair with cloudy patches, clear by early evening.

Comment

• stickman
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by paulmcmillan View Post
      Air Britian has

"30.10.42 Hudson III V8983 24 Sqn Bordon Wood, Wendover, Bucks. flew into high ground"

methinks this is a typo and should be Baldwins Wood (there is a Borden Wood in Sussex) as Baldwins Wood is near Wendover, Bucks.
      Thanks, Paul. It is a good lead and I'll try to follow it up. I suspect you are right about the typo.

Comment

• paulmcmillan
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jan 2000

I think I have found at least 4 of crew

Deaths Dec 1942
        Cook Raymond 29 Aylesbury 3a 1436
        Hudd Arthur G 21 Aylesbury 3a 1438
        Morbin Walter J 34 Aylesbury 3a 1438
        Day John F A 42 Aylesbury 3a 1437 ** Age difference on CWGC

COOK, RAYMOND
        Trade:Pilot
        Service No:64275
        Date of Death:30/10/1942
        Regiment/Service:Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
        24 Sqdn.
        Grave ReferencePanel 2.
        CemeteryGOLDERS GREEN CREMATORIUM

MORBIN, WALTER JOHN
        Trade:Nav.
        Service No:1179044
        Regiment/Service:Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
        24 Sqdn.
        Grave ReferenceSquare 110. Grave 7422.
        CemeteryCAMBERWELL NEW CEMETERY

HUDD, ARTHUR GEORGE
        Trade:W.Op./Air Gnr.
        Service No:637393
        Regiment/Service:Royal Air Force
        24 Sqdn.
        Grave ReferenceSec. C. Grave 19.
        CemeteryMILL HILL CEMETERY

DAY, JOHN FORBES ANDRE
        Service No:02113
        Regiment/Service:Royal Air Force
        24 Sqdn.
        Awards:A F C
        Grave Reference23. A. 13.
        CemeteryBROOKWOOD MILITARY CEMETERY
        Weather - Fair with cloudy patches, clear by early evening.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
        X