Avro Lancaster flypast

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 5 months

On 13th MAy 1945 and crippled Lancaster crashed near Braid Wood, Asheridge, Bucks, killing all on board.
Today, in 2012, the only flying Lancaster arrived exactly as scheduled at 11:45 am and twice flew over the site before departing, wings waggling, back northbound from whence she came. A moving and wonderful sight I was privileged to see from my own back garden. What could be better than that?

However, I can find nothing about the actual crash so does anyone know and can publish anything , or a link?

Original post

Member for

16 years 9 months

Pretty certain this is PB475 of No.582 Sqdn from Little Staughton . It was returning from Chemnitz on 5/6.3.45(note date) when a hung up target indicator ignited in the bomb bay . Records state it came down near Bellingdon at 01.00hrs, sadly six of the crew were killed only the rear gunner survived by bailing out.It was coded "60:C".

Member for

20 years

It was a wonderful flying tribute, and bang on time (of course ).

We were unsure of the exact crash site despite some research, and went to Bloomfield Farm, near the village hall. The Lanc did 4 passes, and we were pretty much in the epicentre.

All of us have all seen the bomber many times of course, but to see it low over the Chiltern valley, dipping a wing over that sad landmark, was very emotionally charged.

The low roar of the Merlins echoed over the fields until it receded from view, and then the only sound was the wind blowing through the tall beech trees, and a lone skylark in the spring sunshine.

Attachments

Member for

16 years 7 months

I had the treat of watching a BBMF Spitfire do a small display over Northwich today from my front garden, which although nowhere near a known crash site, still moved me and hopefully many others at the event in the town.......a peacefull afternoon shattered by the sound of that single merlin.......superb!!! shame it couldnt have been another three roaring away.....

Member for

15 years 2 months

The lancaster did a flyby at Cranfield today (request by ATC) I heard it from in the office but never saw it sadly!!!

Member for

15 years 5 months

Thanks for the information - much appreciated. It was very moving...

Member for

15 years 5 months

Thanks for the correct information - sorry for the confusing info I posted - it is always good to be corrected. It was a great flypast......very moving..

Member for

15 years 5 months

Avro Lancaster flypast - Bellingdon.

Pretty certain this is PB475 of No.582 Sqdn from Little Staughton . It was returning from Chemnitz on 5/6.3.45(note date) when a hung up target indicator ignited in the bomb bay . Records state it came down near Bellingdon at 01.00hrs, sadly six of the crew were killed only the rear gunner survived by bailing out.It was coded "60:C".

More info about this.

The sole survivor, Bill Hart never got over the fact that he survived. He married his girlfirend soon after and emigrated to Canada. He divorced his wife in 1970 and moved to Florida to run a limo and taxi servie. Regretfully alcohol continued to be a big part of his life and he died in 1980.

On a better note, the nephew of Glen Torr, one of the Australian airmen who died, (Jim Torr) and his daughter came to the site on 15th June 2010. Glen's brother is still alive and had a commemorative plaque made which was placed at the crash site. The landowner had arranged for this plaque to be mounted on a huge piece of puddingstone ( a natural agglommeration found in the region) and flypast was organised to co-incide with a small service and blessing with representatives form the RAF and RAAF. It was kept secret by the landowner and about 30 invited persons attended. How sad that such an occasion was kept this way. The motive seems to be to keep the site secret - there could have been another way. Not even reported in the local papers......

Member for

15 years 5 months

Stickman, look at the third from bottom entry here http://www.156squadron.com/display_newpff_roll.asp?ID=582

There is also locations of the graves of the crew listed in Google.

The site was investigated sometime in 1980 by, I think, the Aircrew Rememberance Society. A 'great deal' of material was recovered, including the two starboard engines. Once of them, I think, is now at at RAF museum.

Member for

14 years 10 months

Just to add to this thread : the full story of the 582 Squadron Lancaster and its crew is contained in the book 'Swifter Than Eagles' written and published in Australia in 1987 by C B Hewitt. It's a tough one to track down but well worth while.

Member for

20 years

Arthur James has posted a very moving film of the memorial service back in May.

It is touching that enough people still care that these events and sacrifices still have a currency today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_yEUszkei0

Member for

20 years 7 months

:) very moving lovely tribute - thank you.:)

Member for

11 years 9 months

Wonderful tribute. Thanks for posting. Powerfully moving. Well done.

Member for

15 years 5 months

Thanks for posting this...an honourable tribute to a tragic event.

Member for

16 years 10 months

Lancaster PB474 582 Sqn

If anyone is interested I have two A4 sheets that were left on the floor when the small museum at Booker closed it's doors a few years ago now. They detail the operations, crew, reason for crash and location together with a picture of the crew together and a funeral. I can scan these and email if anyone is interested or you are more than welcome to the original copies as I do not need them.

Member for

20 years

That's very interesting, Richard.

Could you scan and post here ?

Andy Smith

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hi Andy,
I have scanned both docs but they exceed the max allowed, they are both over 1mb!! I can email them to you?

Member for

11 years 3 months

Richard, I'd be very interested in copies of those, if you still have them available. Rgds, Ian

Member for

11 years 3 months

Just to add to this thread : the full story of the 582 Squadron Lancaster and its crew is contained in the book 'Swifter Than Eagles' written and published in Australia in 1987 by C B Hewitt. It's a tough one to track down but well worth while.

Thanks for the info. I obtained a copy of the book (& was lucky enough to find it signed by the author). A great read, and a fantastic insight into all the twists and turns in the crews' individual life stories and routes through their training that lead to them coming together.

A moving and memorable read indeed

Member for

20 years

An aerial photography mission gave a chance to photograph the site yesterday.

The big stone cairn can be seen, and the gap in the hedge where the aeroplane came down

The site is on a bearing of 350 degrees, 465 metres from the Blue Ball Pub, Asheridge.

Attachments