Jaguar panel fasteners

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 1 month

any one know the spec for standard Jaguar panel fasteners other than metric (and we used some off an airbus) i know nothing, also a source for these. I know they are of differing lengths and that the engine door panels are a lot bigger screw wise ??

Original post

Member for

17 years 5 months

Stacey careful when you open the doors, the upper hinges can shear off if they get swung open on their own! They slide out in a slot and then pivot, and that is a major repair job to replace them as they are in the tanks even if you could find the parts, the Allen key headed fasteners we had shortened Allen keys in ratchet ring spanners to undo them, sorry I cannot help on the parts. The engine door screws are female ie threaded internally so are a bit different, if memory serves me correctly. The doors can be held open with a stay that goes into the door and wing.

Member for

16 years 1 month

don't suppose you have any piccies as i'm currently employed on another type of european design and they might have the same in c stores

Member for

17 years 5 months

I haven't, will look, from memory dome headed, about an inch and a half long, about three quarters of inch in diameter smooth shank which is hollow and internally threaded, head is about an inch in diameter.. Two preside under the little plates are Allen headed bolts.

What about the scrappie in London that melted down the Tate one

Member for

16 years 1 month

there were a couple of leads to engines at the open day, i believe there are a few spares available for swap with other jag restorers. Obviously as this will be a runner there are parts out there that purely static examples won't need. Also the pylons went walkies prior to transfer and the tanks also

Member for

17 years 5 months

Tanks are available on eBay what is it an XX or XZ reg?

XX had 4940 kg with 2 droppers, XZ had 5040kg they carried an extra 100kg internally.

Member for

16 years 1 month

xx145 in the process of helping the "crew cheif" put together any like minded ex jag fags to work on it

Member for

17 years 11 months

Jaguar panel screws, Airbus Screws, Metric...:confused::confused:

All the threaded fasteners in the Jag were AN, now NAS or MS standard UNC or UNF threads. It was the one design arguement the British got concessions from the French in the inital Jaguar Management commitee meetings in 1966 that threaded fasteners would be imperial. Your 10/32", 1/4" and 5/16" screws would possibly be covered by NSA5030 or NAS1080 specs of Offset cross screws. Hex head would be NAS6603 or 1303 depending on size. Airbus don't use metric threaded bolts on any of their birds cos the aircraft maintenance industry is A/F, UNF/C tooled...:D

The panels on the front of the spine are camloc studs, possible replacements maybe the 2700 series of countersunk stud, loads of them on Fokker 70s too!

Jaguar hydraulic pipe unions however are metric!:diablo:

Member for

17 years 5 months

Hey there is a sh*tty sixer in the house :D

Ex 20 and 14 :D a better class of squadron....... well the latter one at least :D

Member for

17 years 11 months

Shiney Six.... ;)

20 and 14 went downhill with Tonkas...;)

Did much more time in Colt AMF... Ripping them apart and putting them back together... Has 145 got a complete hydraulic system? All the Everett ones are mostly St Athan spares recovery aircraft and were stripped of all major rotables. It will take a lot of time to get hold of PFCUs, EHP, Starters and 104s and a lot of money I bet. I heard of Mr O'Neil who brought a couple of 106 engined Jags and was looking at getting a PtF for one. Shame he had also brought 104 engines that do not fit into a 106 modified frame! All the 106s are used for GIA frames or ended back at Rolls I believe.

Member for

17 years 5 months

20 couldnt go down, it sucked as a Jag Sqn, I was one of the last on the Sqn, indeed it had disbanded whilst I was on Q.. but we were not stood down for another week or so... 14 was a cracking Sqn pre Tonkas, I luckily avoided and went Vc10 after the Jag. There was a load of Jags that were purchased (10 i think) to go out the States as they were going to be erm operated out there, I got some emails at the time telling me they were after engineers.. Do not know what happened to it..

Member for

17 years 11 months

20 couldnt go down, it sucked as a Jag Sqn, I was one of the last on the Sqn, indeed it had disbanded whilst I was on Q.. but we were not stood down for another week or so... 14 was a cracking Sqn pre Tonkas, I luckily avoided and went Vc10 after the Jag. There was a load of Jags that were purchased (10 i think) to go out the States as they were going to be erm operated out there, I got some emails at the time telling me they were after engineers.. Do not know what happened to it..

Propably 106 modded frames.. Not any good if you can't get the engines.. A lot of the Jag frames from Colt were bang out of fatigue life anyway.. Only the RAFG frames you worked on would have any life left and they was all need a complete major service to even be considered to fly by the yanks..

Member for

17 years 5 months

Not any longer, a lot of the Cosford Jags had their wings removed and sold to Oman, as theirs were FI up, the Omani wings went on the ones at Cosford, they all came through East Mids Airport in an AN 124

Member for

18 years 2 months

I haven't, will look, from memory dome headed, about an inch and a half long, about three quarters of inch in diameter smooth shank which is hollow and internally threaded, head is about an inch in diameter.. Two preside under the little plates are Allen headed bolts.

What about the scrappie in London that melted down the Tate one

The fasteners you describe sound like Tridairs. The Hawk used them extensively and they're still in use today.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Tanks are available on eBay what is it an XX or XZ reg?

XX had 4940 kg with 2 droppers, XZ had 5040kg they carried an extra 100kg internally.

How so, Tony ? I thought they were the same fuselage aft of FR10

Member for

18 years 2 months

Propably 106 modded frames.. Not any good if you can't get the engines.. A lot of the Jag frames from Colt were bang out of fatigue life anyway.. Only the RAFG frames you worked on would have any life left and they was all need a complete major service to even be considered to fly by the yanks..

Now, if they really made it worth my while......... ;)

Member for

17 years 5 months

How so, Tony ? I thought they were the same fuselage aft of FR10

I think they squeezed the extra 100 kg in the Collector tanks. But they were indeed different.

Member for

16 years 11 months

I have to admit that I always thought that the fuel system was identical between the marks (apart from IFR) as the space for the fuel tanks aft of f10 was identical as JagRigger says. I think I've got a copy of the Cross servicing guide somewhere, which should give an indication of the relevant fuel states.

John

Member for

17 years 5 months

They were the same Mark I.e Gr1 just the original XX serials were the lower capacity, the later build XZ had the extra 100Kg.

You learn something every day :D

Member for

17 years 11 months

Not any longer, a lot of the Cosford Jags had their wings removed and sold to Oman, as theirs were FI up, the Omani wings went on the ones at Cosford, they all came through East Mids Airport in an AN 124

I had heard that as one of my mates at Cosford had gone to Bentwaters to check everetts wings out.

Oh my!! Ex Jag Rigger has appeared!:diablo: