'Dig WW2' on BBC1 Monday 14th

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years

A heads up for those in Northern Ireland and those that can get BBC1NI via Sky etc (Channel 973 on Sky). The first of the new 3 part series presented by Dan Snow is being aired at 21:00 on Monday 14th May.
The first features, on the aircraft front, the story behind and recovery of Spitfire P8074 from a peat bog in Donegal last June.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01hzqzj

Original post

Look forward to it being shown here, Geoff!

Is there any truth in the story that most of the wreckage is going to be re-buried? What is the story there?

Also heard that 'elf n safety have thrown a mini-fit about asbestos in the Spitfire firewall in the museum display?

Whats the full story?

Member for

18 years 2 months

Andy yes there was a bit of a issue with asbestos, last time i seen it was on a pallet being soaked in water so safe enough!...its been checked now and encapsulated.

Yes quite true about buried spitfires wreckage, well that was the conclusion following advice and is common practice aparently. Its mostly junk though not worthy of display or significance, who needs to go to burma:diablo:

Member for

19 years 2 months

Yes quite true about buried spitfires wreckage, well that was the conclusion following advice and is common practice aparently. Its mostly junk though not worthy of display or significance.....

Interesting Gareth - the group I used to be involved with, regulalrly used to consign what was considered "junk" back in the hole before filling in - we have re-dug several of their sites with some success as regards missed / deeper parts, but the re-buried stuff has tended to suffer very badly re corrosion - in fact on our last dig - Defiant T3955 in March - most of it had turned to powder. We actually had the digger driver from the 1983 dig turn up and he said he always thought someone would be back as the group he dug for had chucked so much of it back - he wondered why at the time, after all the effort of digging it out - he was shocked to see what had become of it all.

Also I was "officially" advised NOT to state that anything would be re-buried or otherwise disposed of, when putting foward my project proposals and post dig reports as this was frowned upon in archaeological circles.

Perhaps the goal posts are being moved again?

Member for

18 years 2 months

Nick,

I can assure you you wont find much here, they intend to dump the wreckage buried in a capsule in another excavation miles from the crash site. Yes dont ask i have never heard anything so stupid even if its just general scrap.

Licence agreements operate strange ways over there, infact as the crash site was in southern ireland you even needed an export licence to take it in a truck over the border!.....Well thats another story and you could write a book on it:D

Member for

19 years

Well the British Museum would be busy if the reburial idea took hold, I've space under lawn for say the Sutton Hoo treasure in a time capsule !

Back to the programme there's another BBC page with someone familar on it..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18035910

As Gareth says you could write a book - or even two.

Member for

19 years

Just a bump as a reminder it's on at 21:00

Member for

17 years 10 months

Crikey!!!!!!! you guys kept this thread up in the top ten like an air balloon.....we got the message..... 21.00 Monday 14th...still missed it...damn !!!

Member for

16 years 10 months

A good program but made for BBC Northern Ireland. Can't see it being shown on the mainland any time soon unfortunately.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Ian it will be hitting the mainland dont worry in a few weeks time! no doupt with less of an irish spin on it to be sure:diablo:

Member for

16 years 10 months

Ah, version 2. That's more like it. Looking forward to seeing those Shermans as well!

Member for

15 years 1 month

Interesting stuff, especially seeing the brownings coming out almost ready to fire , the visit to the airfields and that gunnery training dome. Wish they could have done a bit more about the reality of the "POW" camps in the south.

All in all a good programme, much better than the endless documentary repeats we are normally subjected to.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Ian it will be hitting the mainland dont worry in a few weeks time! no doupt with less of an irish spin on it to be sure:diablo:

Already hit the UK on good old Iplayer