Help with Type 464 Lancaster reconstruction please

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years

I think I've got most of the details right now on this digital artwork but would appreciate some expert critique if anyone cares to assist?

Lancaster B III Type 464 Provisioning, ED912 / AJ-N: the 617 Squadron plane flown by Les Knight that breached the Eder Dam in May 1943. (picture, extended info).

Work done - and the queries I'd still like answered if possible:

Mid-upper turret removed - should there be a visible blanking
plate? (I've seen an in-flight photo of Gibson's plane, AJ-G, where the patch is obvious).
Bomb bay cut away and faired.
Upkeep release mechanism fitted.
Bomb aimer's blister enlarged.
Old type pitot tube fitted (newer one removed).
H type aerial removed, others added.
Lincoln rudders reprofiled as Lancaster ones.
Side windows fitted.
Engine exhaust flame damper fitted.
Registration number and squadron code added.
Top red navigation beacon removed.

Does anyone know for sure whether AJ-N had the ventral gun actually fitted? They were in the spec for this type but not always installed, I understand.

Similarly, it should properly be ED912/G, but I don't think the "G"s were painted on the aircraft...?

Thanks
Gary

Original post

Member for

16 years 6 months

I think ED825 as one of the prototypes was the only Lancaster to have the ventral gun fitted, the 'Last of the Dambusters' programme showed the excavation of the remains of the ventral gun mount from the crash site, and mentions that it is the only one of it's kind. At near to zero feet flying on the Dams Raid it wouldn't have been much use probably. John Sweetman's book says the /G suffix was not carried by any of the aircraft.

Good to see Les Knight's aircraft represented, with no disrespect for years all the models/kits and artwork usually showed Gibson's aircraft. Les Knight's bombing run was likely one of the best examples of a crew working together on a precision target in air warfare.

Member for

12 years

That's really useful, thank you. I knew I'd read something similar somewhere but couldn't relocate the info!

Yes, and they had to get it right because they had the last mine - no pressure. Sad that he went the way he did that autumn.

Member for

12 years

Also - This might seem an odd question, given the received wisdom - but new information prompts me to ask, were the 464s converted Type IIIs - or Type Is ? Anyone know *definitively* ? (I know that 617's Grand Slams were Mk I Specials so maybe that causes confusion, but it would be good to nail the issue).

Member for

24 years 3 months

Definitely B.IIIs. However that makes no difference to your picture as there are no visible differences (the differences in Lancs are primarily related to build date/batch).

Member for

12 years

Thanks Eddie - but what's the source? I need someone to say "my dad built them" or "I have the Avro drawings" or some such. (And yes - main difference would be engines and related systems, I think).

Member for

24 years 3 months

The Avro G/A for the Type 464 Lancs shows "Mk III".

There are also numerous production lists (which of course, I can't lay my hands on at the moment!) that show the ED817-ED937 were B.III's.

Member for

12 years

Brilliant info, thank you.
G

Member for

12 years

Two other queries!

On the Type 464 ...
- landing light: port wing only? single light? did it retract?
- di-pole aerial for the standard beam approach: was it actually fitted to these? contemporary photos suggest not

thanks

Member for

18 years 10 months

Part of a set of postcards, as yet not printed.

Bomb depicted as Red Oxide in colour

Attachments

Member for

12 years

Lovely! When will you be publishing them? I really like your pencil drawings, Barry.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Down to money!

Gibsons bus

Attachments

Member for

12 years

That's superb. Can't you offer them via a POD site ... ?

Member for

18 years 10 months

I like to see the quality first.

I'll get there, hoping before next years anniversary.

Baz

Member for

12 years

Sounds like a plan.

I see you show two landing lights. Avro's drawing shows one (port only). I know PA474 has two these days but wondered whether the second was a later requirement ... ?

Member for

24 years 3 months

ED817 (a type 464 - AJ-C) definitely had the dipole aerial under the rear fuselage. ED930 and ED953 which were contemporary Lancs, had two landing lights. I don't see anything conclusive either way on the 464 Lancs, so the balance of the evidence points to two landing lights.

We had a discussion on here some time ago and there was some evidence that Canadian Lancs (at least when built) had one light, but with the station there for the second light.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I have a photo taken from the starboard side with the aircraft banking away. The dipole aerial is silhouetted along the bottom of the aircraft. It's absolutely, 100% there (on that aircraft, at that time).

Member for

12 years

That's really useful thanks.

Member for

12 years

Hmm ... trouble is, it's clear various things were designed/drawn, maybe even fitted to prototypes, but not necessarily on the raid a/c. Anyway thanks again!