Supermarine Scimitar Leaves Intrepid Museum

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Intrepid Museum sends three aircraft to a new home to make way for Shuttle Enterprise!
http://www.esam.org/

Original post

Member for

16 years 5 months

That is one aeroplane i would love to see return to the UK.

Member for

18 years

I'll second that. It should never have left the UK in the first place.

DD

Member for

20 years 2 months

Can't argue with that. An historic machine, being one of the original 700X aircraft, XD220 was fully overhauled at Fleetlands prior to being put into storage at Brawdy and made its last flight into Lee-on-Solent for further storage before going to Wroughton by road and thence to New York. In theory a potential flyer at that stage!

Member for

24 years 2 months

I'm amazed they kept the Etendard, especially at the expense of the Skynight.

Member for

18 years 10 months

True... the Scimitar would go well on the deck of a preserved HMS Ark Royal (or Illustrious).

It would also be nice if the Skyknight's information display at its new home described its role in Vietnam as a ECM aircraft for the USMC (pre EA-6A/B).

The Skyknight remained active with the Marine Corps for somewhat longer than it did with the Navy. By the time of Vietnam, EF-10Bs electronic countermeasures aircraft were still serving with VMCJ-1, -2, and -3. They flew tactical jamming and ferret missions out of Da Nang with VMCJ-1 in support of strike aircraft attacking targets in North Vietnam. On such missions, the Skyknight would usually fly a straight-line course across the suspected radar station's position, and the electronic signal receiver and analyzer would reveal the approximate location, type, and range of the enemy radar installation. The job of attacking the radar installation would then be assigned to other aircraft called in for the mission, or, alternatively, the station could be jammed by the Skyknight itself by transmitting opposing electronic signals or by dropping chaff. VMCJ-1 flew 791 missions in support of strikes over North Vietnam and Laos. VMCJ-1 was withdrawn from Vietnam in 1969, and the last Marine Corps EF-10Bs were retired in May of 1970.

Member for

13 years 6 months

The back deck of our house sits 100 feet up and back from the Hudson River, about 60 miles north of Manhattan, with a clear view for 20 miles. If I am super-lucky, I will be looking river-ward when the barge carrying the Scimtar heaves into view, bound north to Schenectady.

Photo to come, chance in a million.

Member for

13 years 8 months

It would be nice if this Scimitar came back to the UK one day but for now let's just hope the new owner has a roof to put over it's head. Does anyone know if this is the case - will it finally be going indoors? If so, it's been a good couple of months for the preservation of rare Supermarine jets (is there any other kind?).

Member for

16 years 3 months

The back deck of our house sits 100 feet up and back from the Hudson River, about 60 miles north of Manhattan, with a clear view for 20 miles. If I am super-lucky, I will be looking river-ward when the barge carrying the Scimtar heaves into view, bound north to Schenectady.

Photo to come, chance in a million.

Not too far from Rhinebeck, then.......???

Planemike

Member for

24 years 2 months

From a video on youtube of the new home, all the aircraft look like they sit outdoors...

Member for

12 years 4 months

But who would take it? The FAAM doesn't need another one and the IWM seems to be having a moritorium on collecting aeroplanes.
No it's better staying on this side of the pond then I can go and look it to remind me of part of my miss-spent youth at Fleetlands trying to stop Scimitar wings from peeing fuel all over the shop floor.

Regards
Bill

Member for

16 years 5 months

I agree about the IWM. FAA aircraft seem to be losing favour with them at the moment.

If i had my way? Bruntingthorpe! If it could be given a home there and made taxiable, it would complete the line-up of Scimitar, Sea Vixen and Buccaneer.

Only a dream i know, but you did ask ;)

Member for

16 years 7 months

I have to agree with Bills' sentiments sadly, we have two complete Scimitars* in this country, XD317 nicely presented by the FAA Museum, and the other, XD322, which looked (looks?) really nice, but which rarely seems to see the light of day, http://www.demobbed.org.uk/image_view.php?a=15737&s=xd332.jpg
I would rather XD220 continues to impress visitors in the 'States, hopefully indoors though.

*Always nice to see Tonys' fantastic cockpit section of XD235 as well of course

Member for

13 years 6 months

Not too far from Rhinebeck, then.......???

About 30 miles south of Rhinebeck and on the other (west) side of the river. Scimtar's due in Albany tomorrow (Sunday 4/22) evening, so I'm guessing it'll go past us sometime in the morning.

Member for

14 years 3 months

My vote would be for Newark if it returned to this country. They have a fine collection of naval types and it would look superb next to the Buccaneer S.1 and Sea Vixen. As for XD332, in external storage, well it's looking increasingly tatty and unloved if these relatively recent pics are anything to go by.
www.flickr.com/photos/29189553@N06/sets/72157627447447467/with/4333970694/

Member for

16 years 5 months

Oh for crying out load. That is a disgusting way to treat such a rare aeroplane. Outside, with no covers or care whatsoever. :mad:

Member for

16 years 7 months

It looked better when it was at Flambards, looked good (cosmetically at least) at Fairford almost ten years ago, http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/6/9/4/0530496.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Navy/Supermarine-Scimitar-F1/0530496/L/&usg=__VkBD2PB_qMqFVAwtEKp3UjAPHvw=&h=655&w=1024&sz=263&hl=en&start=5&zoom=1&tbnid=zuiHNzTQzMewyM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=150&ei=RuiST5aTFsbi8QORw9jZCQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dscimitar%2Bxd332%2Bfairford%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1G1ACAW_ENUK473%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1
Until we get our house in order I don't think we can really shout about getting one of 'our' jets back, Supermarine jets seem to get a bad deal really.

Member for

18 years

It looked better when it was at Flambards, looked good (cosmetically at least) at Fairford almost ten years ago, http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/6/9/4/0530496.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Navy/Supermarine-Scimitar-F1/0530496/L/&usg=__VkBD2PB_qMqFVAwtEKp3UjAPHvw=&h=655&w=1024&sz=263&hl=en&start=5&zoom=1&tbnid=zuiHNzTQzMewyM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=150&ei=RuiST5aTFsbi8QORw9jZCQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dscimitar%2Bxd332%2Bfairford%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1G1ACAW_ENUK473%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1
Until we get our house in order I don't think we can really shout about getting one of 'our' jets back, Supermarine jets seem to get a bad deal really.

How right you are!
Unfortunately these classic jets don't get the same attention as the Spitfires etc. Even on this forum some 5 pages and rising because of the possibility of some Spitfires being alive and possibly well in Burma; whereas this Scimitar draws scant attention...............sad really.
I hope the day will dawn when we award the same respect to the champions of our freedom in the Cold War as we give to those of WW2.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Wow the fate of that one looks worriesome to say the least!

Member for

19 years 9 months

And that's in the 'care' of a reputable museum.....

Mind you, look at the FAAM's 'other' Skyraider.