I usually stick to Spitfires but...

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

..this image on ebay in Germany caught my eye and I bid on it.

An early two blade Hurricane 'Gate Guard'...surely not.

Now that I have the image I note the triangular emblem on the cowl and the position of the underwing roundel and this seems to be a captured 'Battle of
France Hurricane' that had been painted in German markings and then repainted back to RAF Markings. A Spitfire was similarly repainted for propaganda images.

Can anybody tell us more or speculate on a serial number, as this is not my field?

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/HurricanePeterArnoldCollection092.jpg

Original post

Member for

19 years 11 months

thinking outside the box.....

might have been a captured Belgian example - or even transferred from Finland (that nose band seems familiar) Romania or Yugoslavia - all of which were under German influence

Member for

15 years 1 month

Will leave this one to the Hurricane experts, but isnt that armoured perspex on the front of the cockpit? Did the early exported Hurricanes have this ? Might be the angle but it looks to be fairly proud of the frame and much more so than apparent on earlier Mk1's?

http://www.raf.mod.uk/downloads/wallpapers/1930s/hurri1024.jpg

PS. whats with the triagular symbol just aft of the exhuast ?

Member for

14 years 5 months

Hurricane

red, white and blue rudder flash?! 1 or 73 sqn?

MS

Member for

14 years 5 months

though painted just aft of the prop is odd as is the triangle. aft of the exhaust.

No visible upper camouflage demarkation?

All blue underside and no yellow edge seems to indicate 1939?

No aerial

MS

Member for

24 years 2 months

Is it just me, or do those windows in the building behind look suspiciously uPVC?

Moggy

Member for

14 years 1 month

Would the triangle be a Luftwaffe fuel octane marker triangle thingummy? :confused:

Edit Mark12 was quicker off the mark...

Member for

13 years 4 months

There's also a tonal difference between the underside paint and the band behind the prop. I would hazard a guess the band is yellow, (or more appropriately gelb).

Member for

12 years 8 months

In relation to its serial, its going to be either an L serial or an N serial. This is due to the 5 "spoke" wheel hub on this Hurricane that was changed to the more familiar 4 "spoke" hub on P serials onwards. Also the external bullet proof windscreen was a field modification only on the L and n series. I can`t quite decide if the wings are metal or fabric. However i cannot see any droop in the skinning to suggest fabric so i`d say metal winged. However i could be wrong! :-)

Member for

13 years

Is it just me, or do those windows in the building behind look suspiciously uPVC?

Moggy

Indeed they do but the spanner in the works is it must be before the invention of biological washing powder by the state of the overalls!:)

Member for

13 years

So what else do we see. Window boxes,the wooden pergola(far right) is that trellis or a wooden ladder it spring by the flowers and the willow tree. Has the guy on the left got slip on shoes(were they available in the war?) Its all a bit "twee" for a working Airbase surely?

Member for

15 years 1 month

Didnt the later Hurricanes have a bell shaped end to their exhausts ?

Any ideas on the windscreen ?

PS; what about the tie downs on the outer wings , was that normal for displayed aircraft during WW2 ?

Member for

24 years 2 months

No patches on the gun ports. Canopy looks a little opaque. Dubious looking vents on the bungalow roof - if it was wartime there would be smoke belching chimneys not what appear to be balanced flue outlets.

It's an odd one OK

Moggy

Member for

18 years 3 months

Metal wings I think, the landing light and guns would be closer on a fabric wing?

Rudders were painted red white and blue in France, no where else, to try to make them look more like French aircraft and so reduce errors in identification. The Air Ministry had concerns about painting control surfaces affecting the balance. When fin flashes were introduced later, painting the rudder was forbidden.

Member for

13 years 2 months

Mark12, you mentioned now having the copy. Did you manage to get the original print on ebay or is this one of the later digital copies being offered for 3.99 Euros? The original might reveal a little more detail. I assume you saw the other view, showing a Germanic 1 and 4 either side of the fuselage roundel, as this one does not show the over-painting you refer to.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Hi
I had some spare time so looked on LEMB
and photos there seems to be the same hurricane ?
photo source e bay ?
cheers
Jerry

Attachments

Member for

12 years 11 months

Some Sea Hurricanes had a similar band on the front, in white.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hi
I had some spare time so looked on LEMB
and photos there seems to be the same hurricane ?
photo source e bay ?
cheers
Jerry

Moggy,

More photoshop and re-enactors? :)

Mark

Member for

24 years 2 months

Mark12, you mentioned now having the copy. Did you manage to get the original print on ebay or is this one of the later digital copies being offered for 3.99 Euros? The original might reveal a little more detail. I assume you saw the other view, showing a Germanic 1 and 4 either side of the fuselage roundel, as this one does not show the over-painting you refer to.

I just bumped in to it looking for something else and bought the high quality copy.

You could anticipate paying £60-80 for the original.

Mark

Why am I thinking "Dicky" Martin.... aka 'The Prisoner of Luxembourg'?