Chinese People's Liberation Army Air Force with Spitfire IXs ?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 7 months

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?p=144954#post144954

I don't use this forum much, but this thread caught my eye, I'll go back and keep a watch on it I think......

Original post

Member for

15 years 4 months

That Forum's members are right - the best confirmation of this fact could be the image(s) of Chinese Spitfires; and if that photo would be clear - it would be better.
From other hand, there is a danger of "Photoshopping"...:mad:

Member for

24 years 2 months

The Chinese Aviation museum at XiaoTangShan near Beijing has a Spitfire XVI - at least that's what it looks like in the photo in the brochure I purchased.

It has RAF camouflage, coded HT - B and the serial starts with TE....

Unfortunately at the time of my visit in November 2010, it was not on display and I have no idea of its provenance....

Ken

Member for

19 years

TE330

The Chinese Aviation museum at XiaoTangShan near Beijing has a Spitfire XVI - at least that's what it looks like in the photo in the brochure I purchased.

It has RAF camouflage, coded HT - B and the serial starts with TE....

Unfortunately at the time of my visit in November 2010, it was not on display and I have no idea of its provenance....

Ken

TE330 - bought at auction for NZ$2.6m in 2008 and gifted to the Museum by a Hong Kong-based businessman. One of the original members of the BBMF (http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/history/historyrafbbmf.cfm). Full illustrated history in Volume II of our magnum opus - available later this year :)

Member for

11 years 11 months

No evidence that PLAAF Spits existed

Looking into this, still no evidence that Chinese Spitfires are not a myth.

There MAY (and I have not gone looking for the source in the archives) have been an origin in a mis-identification (P-51s?) by UK travelers/diplomats in the PRC in the early 1950s.

I would be delighted to be proved wrong on this.