Structural problems with Flugwerk FW 190 A8/N in Germany

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 3 months

Oh dear! Not a good look...:(

Member for

17 years 6 months

Some cool riveting there...... Not.

Odd thing is, without looking you may find the originals might well of exhibited similar in service. And although that is poor workmanship, I bet that done by slave labour was a whole lot worse.. Would be interesting to compare the two, new build against original.

Member for

18 years

Waaaay to much power on the gun or too small a dolly on the other end.. :(

Member for

14 years 3 months

Mind you, I have seen some shocking metal work on original Spitfires. I'm amazed they ever flew at times.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The originals were good; much better than is shown.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The originals were good; much better than is shown.

German engineering vs Russian engineering!

Member for

14 years 2 months

Distinct lack of quality control for such an ambitious and high-profile project...

Member for

13 years 1 month

After seeing that "rubbish" it makes me want to weep. I don't know what the guys at Meier Motors think of it. I don't think they would tell us.Two sides of German engineering! If that was my aircraft and you can't examine it with a scope I would want it taken apart and checked before I set foot in it.

Member for

24 years 3 months

........Two sides of German engineering!.........

As alluded to in my post #7 above, I believe that most of the Flugwerk structures were built in Russia (you will note that the bulletin refers to 'Aerostar' as the manufacturer)

Member for

18 years 7 months

Was this the all silver example which was at meiers?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Was this the all silver example which was at meiers?

Yes. It is also the ex-Tom Blair example. With hindsight, perhaps it is a good job that it didn't end up cavorting in the skies over Duxford! :eek:

Member for

24 years 3 months

I have noted a number of issues from those two pictures, which are not related to the quality of the rivetting. Poor though that is, it isnt the biggest problem.

Bruce

Member for

24 years 3 months

Ouch - I suppose its riveted like that throughout the entire aircraft... Were they assembled in Russia as it's cheaper?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Depth of countersinking and general condition of the skin looks to be poor. I would be interested to know if the aircraft has a g meter fitted.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Depth of countersinking and general condition of the skin looks to be poor. I would be interested to know if the aircraft has a g meter fitted.

It does not look good does it?, Can they honestly resolve these issues with the airframes?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Aerostar is Romanian NOT Russian.

We have found no evidence of the problem in the aircraft at Omaka, and as I understand it the ex Blair machine is an isolated case. The wings on Yagen's and the ex Jaquard aircraft are also very strong, according to Meiers.

Dave

Member for

24 years 3 months

Ooops, sorry Dave, you're quite correct.

Another example of the type, Dan Kirkland's recently-flown Flugwerk, was damaged in an off-runway excursion at Casa Grande this morning.

The type does seem to have a rather chequered record, several accidents/incidents for very few hours flown. :(

Member for

17 years 6 months

The heads might not be countersink issues but simply pulling through the skins, problem is without seeing it close up you cannot tell, as for the tails, well without drilling them out you would not necessarily know there was a problem with them, you cannot inspect every aspect of your subcontractors work, otherwise you might as well do the job yourself as you would in effect be reducing it back to a pile of parts.

Member for

18 years

Looks in mirror..

The heads might not be countersink issues but simply pulling through the skins, problem is without seeing it close up you cannot tell, as for the tails, well without drilling them out you would not necessarily know there was a problem with them, you cannot inspect every aspect of your subcontractors work, otherwise you might as well do the job yourself as you would in effect be reducing it back to a pile of parts.

The problem is with the process.A good sheety has the power to say I just put in a good rivet,if not take it out.The job is then checked off by a Quality control officer who "inspects" the job who has the power to say "Yes it is a good job" or "No the rivets need to be redone".
The painter can look at the work and go "Gee that looks not good",inform his supervisor and have it redone..The manager when handing over the keys can say,"hey who did that crummy job?"...The owner can can say "Hey that doesn,t look like a professional rivetting job!" and can have it redone under warranty..:eek:
Self responsibility works wonders....

Member for

17 years 6 months

Agreed, but you don't know what they looked like before it had some G pulled on it.