Getting airside at bbmf

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 8 months

If you ask nicely would bbmf let you airsideto get a closer look at the Aircraft ??

Original post

Member for

13 years 3 months

unless you know someone on the camp then its normaly quite hard. the civvies that guide you around dont have the authority to do this and the RAF guys are busy working. when i was stationed at Coningsby i used to take my mates around but never someone i didnt know, just not worth the risk to live aircraft. no harm in asking though or applying for permission

ive always pointed people Duxford way, who have been more than willing to help as long as you apply for permission in advance. a few of my mates have been nose to tail in the Lanc and ive crawled all over the live aircraft there as well as some of the museum aircraft but having an Airforce background and being an aviation artist helps also

Member for

21 years 1 month

As soon as you walk out of their hangar door you would be near the Typhoon line. If you join the LLA and are lucky to get an entry ticket for their open day in the Autumn you would still be behind barriers.
They used to have prizes in the annual draw for an internal tour of the Lanc, but that has been stopped recently.
mmitch.

Member for

15 years 8 months

I'll be there within the hour.

Member for

12 years 7 months

Only a few years ago when I was still in the RAAF, I visited the BBMF from the visitors side, I spoke to an RAF guy there and introduced myself and showed him my valid RAAF ID. I asked was there any chance of few close up pics of the Lanc which was outside on the tarmac, to which he relpied "no way, from the fence only"! Maybe I met the wrong guy or he was having an off day!

Member for

17 years 6 months

I've been round them as a civilian :) but we were there on business, he must have been having a bad day, or there were other people about, in which case I could understand it... There are members of the BBMF that are members and frequent this forum.

When I was in the RAF, I would show people around aircraft I worked on at shows etc as long as there was nothing the couldn't see security wise... heck we took an armed Puma to a show at Brize with Gimpy's mounted in the doorways, and I was having kids in showing them how to c*ck the GPMG then fire off the action, they loved it, the RAF policemen at the end of the line probably wondered why he was always being tracked by the GPMG as the kids were playing shoot the RAF Copper :D. Although one I was hesitant to let folks in was the Jag cockpit with live seats, for obvious reasons, I always looked at it as you are a tax payer and you bought it, if you ask and there is no reason not to let you, you can have a look in it.

Member for

18 years 1 month

In the mid 1980's while working with Russavia at Duxford. I asked one of the BBMF team if i could look in side the Lanc. My son who was about 5 and myself had a tour all over it. Was very intresting. Also went around Sally B on my own around the same time.

Dave

Member for

18 years 2 months

In September 2008 I pre-organised a ‘behind the ropes’ group visit for relatives of a 619 Squadron Lancaster (ME846) that crashed in 1944 – they were treated like royalty and were extremely moved by the wonderful reception they received from everyone at ‘The Flight!’ :)

It made the Lancaster flypast at Newark on the Saturday even more poignant! :):)

Member for

12 years 11 months

If any of you are out here we can organise a full tour of the Lanc/Solent/Hudson etc etc and a workshop tour of the Mossie/Spitfire/ Kitty etc etc
Eat yer heart out

Member for

19 years 4 months

Several years ago the BBMF guys very kindly organised a Forum evening photoshoot in the hangar, in which we were allowed inside the Dak and the Lanc, with plenty of supervision. It was a fantastic day :), epecially as we combined it with a viewing of a Just Jane taxy run and tea at the Petwood!

There were plenty of forum threads about it afterwards IIRC.

The LLA were offering tours inside the Lanc as raffle prizes - this has been stopped I am afraid - rumours of Heath and Safety may (or may not) be the reason.

DS