Fox photos (Sandwich flats Dornier 17)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Does anyone know what happened to the Fox Photos archive of Battle of Britain era photos? I'm sure this has been discussed before, but maybe not on this forum.

I'm trying to find some original shots of the Dornier 17 that came down on Sandwich flats on 31 Aug 1940. The image below is quite a famous one, but I have seen at least one other shot from another angle, also attributed to Fox. I wonder if they have any other images, and also if I can get a better quality copy of the one below.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4087/5008819028_5a1e692cb9_z.jpg

Does anyone know?

Original post

Member for

13 years 4 months

There is another photo double page spread of 5K+LM from a different angle on P156-157 of The Battle of Britain, By Roy Conyers Nesbit (Sutton Publishing). The photo shows the Dornier in about the same state as in the photo you posted but the shot is taken almost directly from the starboard side. It clearly shows the upper wing markings of +L. The photo is captioned as being from the Philip Jarrett Collection. :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks Clint

That's helpful - i'll try and contact Mr Cotter

There was a discussion about the fate of Fox Photos - i'm not sure where though. I think it may have been in the pages of After the Battle magazine, or one of their other publications. Does anyone know at all?

I have two 'original' Fox images of this:

Neg number WB6911

and Fox 68707

I visited Fox when they were at Farringdon Road around 1974-ish. Thousands of prints and negs!

I think they were later bought out by Hulton Pictures.

Member for

15 years 8 months

Getty bought the Hulton Archive (from the BBC, I think), hence this one which looks like the same aircraft....
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/nazi-dornier-17-burns-on-an-english-beach-after-being-shot-news-photo/3313247

but is this one of the same?
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/nazi-raider-in-the-sea-off-the-east-coast-of-england-news-photo/3312327

Member for

15 years

No. The second one is a He111:(
Cockley Tye Norfolk

Member for

13 years 4 months

The first Getty image posted by Longshot is the same image from the book I mentioned in my post above. :)

Member for

15 years 8 months

Ah yes , I can see the second one is a Heinkel, now.

Are there any images on the net of the Dornier which came down at seasalter on 13Aug 1940?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks guys - I've seen that second view of the Dornier. These seem to be the only two images in circulation.

I thought that if anyone on here would know about Fox Photos, it would be you Tangmere1940.

Is there any chance I could get some prints made of these Andy? I can get some extras made for you if you like...?

Cheers

I could scan at high res and let you have both. Or I could loan you my original prints if you are coming to Shoreham?

One is the full side image in Longshot's link. Interestingly, this was the image on which one of the 25th anniversary of BofB stamps was modelled.

Member for

15 years 8 months

I've got the first day cover set somewhere,an interesting snippet Andy.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Are there any images on the net of the Dornier which came down at seasalter on 13Aug 1940?

The closest I can find, unless one is up somewhere with no location given, is there's a photo of a corpse being taken ashore on a stretcher...

Elsewhere, that I know of, there's a Roy Conyers Nesbit book with a photo in (he sent me a copy of the image, though lord alone knows where it is now), Richard Collier's "Eagle Day" has a photo in, some chap whose name I can't quite drag to mind :diablo: wrote a book called "Finding the Foe" which has a picture of two soldiers inspecting one engine, and the Kent Messenger many, many years ago published a book with a photo in, captioned as two Dornier's crashing next to each other. There are at least two KM BoB books by H R Pratt Boorman on abebooks (I've just ordered the cheapest - sorry!), and I reckon it's one of those.

Somewhere there is film footage as about a second turned up in "Spitfire Ace". But what and where...

Adrian

Member for

24 years 3 months

I could scan at high res and let you have both. Or I could loan you my original prints if you are coming to Shoreham?

One is the full side image in Longshot's link. Interestingly, this was the image on which one of the 25th anniversary of BofB stamps was modelled.

Whatever is easier for you Andy - scans would be great, that way I can't lose your original.

Would you mind sending them to me at [email]elliott1940@yahoo.com[/email]?

Regards

Member for

15 years 8 months

Seasalter 13Aug 1940

Apologies to Whitley Project for tagging this on his thread but it's possibly of interest. I just looked on the Kent History Forum re the Seasalter Dornier shootdown of 13Aug1940 and there is some current interest due to a re-interment mix-up on a multiple grave of German casualties in Whitstable cemetery. I would normally steer well clear of such topics but I have an interest in that I and my sisters used to wade out to the Dornier on holiday at Seasalter in 1951 (though we were told it was a Heinkel)
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13072.0

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes, I believe a certain gentleman up thread may have an interest in the re-interment.

The remains from Whitstable must have been pretty thin - it slammed into the mud at full bore, caught fire, and then to top it all off exploded somewhat later as the bomb load got hot. I found human remains there in the early 1990s (to my shame, things like graduation intervened and I never recovered them and attempted to find their plot - though as the grave had been moved to Cannock Chase...), and they were small enough to make me blanch at the thought. What the bucket squads of the time must have had to go through... My God, what a job!

Adrian

The Whitstable crash of 16 August was not photographed as far as I know, although the Whitstable crash of 13 August was photographed.

Burial of these two crews caused some confurion in the 1960s when exhumations took place to remove Luftwaffe airmen to Cannock. Two of the crew were left behind and forgotten, but there are plans by German War Graves Service to exhume the airmen for re-burial at Cannock. The local authority did not realise they were still there until the case was looked at quite recently.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I never found a photo of the 16th August crash, and I suspect your search was done with much more background knowledge than my efforts. There can't have been more than a muddy hole by the time the tide had rolled over it (wonder what the tide was like that day?...), and probably far more photogenic crash sites about as well (who knows, there might have been a photographer there, who dropped his glass plates when the bomb load started cooking off).

If you ever do find one, mind...

What scares the brown stuff out of me is the thought that it had already been dug at least once, and all those bombs the RN later detonated hadn't been found (:rolleyes:)... and even they left one for me to turn up with my metal detector!

Adrian