Sqdn Ldr Jock Maitland Dfc Mbe R.I.P.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 5 months

Just heard that Jock has sadly passed away,the founder of Air Displays International and the Biggin Hill Air Fair blue skys Jock.

Original post

Member for

19 years 6 months

Thanks Jock for so many years of enjoyment at BH - Think my first show was in ’65 aged 4 and went to the last one in 2010. A legend without doubt

Fly High

Chris

Member for

17 years 7 months

Very sad news, but what an innings...

I doubt any other individual has brought aviation to so many people.

Thank you Jock. Happy landings....

Member for

24 years 3 months

You hit the nail on the head, low'n'slow. Jock did a great job in bringing the joy of aviation to the masses.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Jock Maitland

A real 'Fighter Jock' who gave GA its historic base at Biggin which led to thousands of individuals becoming involved with aviation at all levels.
At its height his air shows (Fairs) spread over half the country and took on the mantle of a travelling circus,(some of these being three day affairs).
A true 'friend' of aviation he was always available to be prevailed upon to 'book your airshow act',and treated impetuous youngsters wishing to get in the program in a generous manner,making it a priviledge to attend those events.
Thanks Jock, your contribution will always be remembered.

Peter (Pobjoy) C

Member for

20 years 6 months

I honestly feel without Jock and his team I would never have the love I have for airshows now. It was Jock Maitland who brought me the first magic moments of airshows in 1982 and seeing Ray Hanna fly MH434 for the first time.
Im pretty sure that Jock and Ray are sitting on a cloud now discussing those days. RIP Jock and thank you so much for the fond memories.

Member for

19 years

Sad news, another great passes. Blue skies Jock and happy landings.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Echo the above...

"Thank you for the days, those endless days, those sacred days you gave me"

Member for

19 years 5 months

Very sad news indeed, made all the worse by the fact that the Air Fair was cancelled in his final years .

I too was introduced to aviation by the Biggin Hill Air Fairs.
I very much hope the show comes back one day as a tribute.......a proper show, not a laughable 'fun day' .

Member for

13 years 1 month

Very sad news indeed, made all the worse by the fact that the Air Fair was cancelled in his final years .

I too was introduced to aviation by the Biggin Hill Air Fairs.
I very much hope the show comes back one day as a tribute.......a proper show, not a laughable 'fun day' .

I don't think there will be any more air shows at Biggin Hill. The airfield has been becoming very unfriendly for several years now, fences and barriers where you could safely wander freely for many years. The management don't like the great unwashed tramping all over their airfield and shows get in the way of revenue earning exec jets. There will be open days on the east camp but I wouldn't guarantee their being allowed to continue for too long.

I miss the Air Fair. It was a social event as well as an air show, we knew we would meet a few people we knew. I went to the first one in 1963 and all the others until the last. Never flew at one apart from joy rides, in the Hermes and a BEA Whirlwind, but I worked on both sides of the crowd line and spectated. Also met my wife there.

Member for

12 years 6 months

I also had my first experience of airshows at Biggin Hill in 1978 and every air fair since and thanks to Jock and his team am now immersing my 7 year old son in trips to Duxford and Fairford(amongst others) annually to continue the love of all things aircraft.

It is such a shame that living on the doorstep of the most famous fighter station in the world that he cannot experience the atmosphere and history that I so enjoyed.

Biggin Hill has lost its soul and although the guys behind the Heritage Centre are trying hard I don't hold out much hope for the future,

Thanks Jock for the great memories.

Martin K

Member for

24 years 3 months

Here's the line up...

Attachments

Member for

18 years 2 months

Jocks RAF Flying

Before becoming 'Mr Biggin' Jock had been a post war RAF fighter pilot and flew 77 missions with the American Air Force (Sabre's) in Korea.There is a good article about this in 'Edition 9 (Mar 2011) Aviation Classics' on-line.