Tempest II in NZ

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 1 month

Looks like Pioneer Aero have got a Tempest rebuild to do.......
http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Airshows&action=display&thread=15736&page=1

Original post

Member for

16 years 5 months

That poor project has had so many false starts and claims over the years. Remains to be seen now if it will actually get finished this time. Lets hope so!

Member for

24 years 2 months

It was stored at Audley End for a while.

Big project - needs a lot of work to bring up to current standards.

Bruce

Member for

18 years 6 months

Let's hope that don't send the engine away to the same people as the uk based example! That's been awaiting its engine for about 5 years!

Good luck to them!

Member for

24 years 2 months

The supply of magnetos is one of the main problems with these engines.

Member for

14 years 5 months

Tempest II

Hi

Was under the impression that Retrotec could work/make any magneto as they have an amazing piece of kit there.

regards

MS

Member for

16 years 5 months

That poor project has had so many false starts and claims over the years. Remains to be seen now if it will actually get finished this time. Lets hope so!

I know its a pile of bits but those bits looked in good nick. I wonder how much it sold for out of interest. Anyone know?

Member for

16 years 5 months

Let's hope that don't send the engine away to the same people as the uk based example! That's been awaiting its engine for about 5 years!

Good luck to them!

Its more like 15 years isn't it?

Member for

24 years 2 months

I know its a pile of bits but those bits looked in good nick. I wonder how much it sold for out of interest. Anyone know?

An awful lot of it will need doing again; its close on 20 yrs since any serious work was done on it.

Bruce

Member for

24 years 2 months

Its more like 15 years isn't it?

In that time, the people doing the engine have supplied many, many engines to many projects. Where then is the problem.... :rolleyes:

Member for

24 years 2 months

Bruce -her previous owner David Martin went missing in December 1992 -I dont think any work was done on her after that month.

Member for

24 years 2 months

As I say, close on 20 years!

Member for

20 years 4 months

Bruce,supplied which engines?? As far as I am aware no one has overhauled a Centaurus in the U.K since Vintech? I hope the recent overhaul by Mike Nixon for RNHF goes ok,does anyone know if its been run in VR930 yet? Magnetos for the Centaurus are not so rare,there is a shelf full of them here & I am sure given a test bench and overhaul manual any decent shop could sort em out:D,IMHO the main issue has always been the lack of sleeves and to a lesser extent master rod bearings,anyway I hope Nixons are successfull,cheers,Pete

Member for

24 years 2 months

I don't think Vintech have ever overhauled a Centaurus -Ricardo did for the RNHF. As for magnetos -the Tempest engine is different in a number of ways to the Fury/Sea Fury unit and spares especially magnetos are rare.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanks Bruce -Martin was a really nice guy who had some interesting Tempest ideas up his sleeve -doesnt seem that long since we last spoke!

Member for

18 years 10 months

Hang an R2800 on it.... ;)

Member for

16 years 5 months

Since it originally had a four blader on the front, then yes it would probably work!

Member for

24 years 2 months

I'm sure the one currently being rebuilt in the US by Nelson Ezell will eventually emerge with an R-2800 or R-3350 on the front of it.

Member for

20 years 3 months

Bruce,supplied which engines?? As far as I am aware no one has overhauled a Centaurus in the U.K since Vintech? I hope the recent overhaul by Mike Nixon for RNHF goes ok,does anyone know if its been run in VR930 yet? Magnetos for the Centaurus are not so rare,there is a shelf full of them here & I am sure given a test bench and overhaul manual any decent shop could sort em out:D,IMHO the main issue has always been the lack of sleeves and to a lesser extent master rod bearings,anyway I hope Nixons are successfull,cheers,Pete

The Centaurus from Sea Fury VX281 was rebuilt to airworthy standards at North Weald only 2 years ago.