P-51D at RAFM

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 10 months

There used to be a P-51D in the colours of an aeroplane flown by an RNZAF pilot in the Bomber Hall at Hendon. What's happened to it?

Regards

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Its at Cosford

Member for

19 years 1 month

This one was at Cosford in December 10, but it's not in RNZAF markings?

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff463/bruce_c/DSCN3792.jpg

Member for

15 years 9 months

Can't see it in the photo, but remember this as being dorsal fillet-less, version, which would make it a D5. Wrong Hamilton Standard blades too!

Albert
www.warbirdsim.com

Member for

14 years 10 months

[QUOTE='lectra;1860914]This one was at Cosford in December 10, but it's not in RNZAF markings?
[/QUOTE]

The aeroplane wasn't in RNZAF markings because the pilot was on one of the very unusual exchange postings of the period.

Thanks for the info

Regards

Member for

19 years 9 months

Can't see it in the photo, but remember this as being dorsal fillet-less, version, which would make it a D5. Wrong Hamilton Standard blades too!

Albert
www.warbirdsim.com

It's a bit of a hybrid.

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/cosford/collections/aircraft/aircraft_histories/1990-0692-A%20NA-MUSTANG.pdf

Notable point

19 Mar 77 Aircraft destroyed in major accident
!!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

It's a 'bitsa'.

The original aircraft crashed. It was later rebuilt, basically using a new airframe and the existing paperwork, and now flies as 'Voodoo'. The left-over crashed bits were later cobbled together with other parts into this static restoration for the RAF Museum.

Member for

16 years 9 months

I was on ATC camp at Halton (I think...!) in the early 90s around the time that the RAF took delivery of the Mustang. They were unimpressed, as they had spend much time and effort preparing a Spit 16 in exchange. They were very proud of the Spit but very disappointed with the Mustang when it arrived.....

Member for

24 years 3 months

Here is a shot from 16 June 1989.

It'll all....

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/16-SL57426Halton16June1989HandoverforP-51ImagePeterRArnold01a.jpg

Member for

24 years 3 months

I was on ATC camp at Halton (I think...!) in the early 90s around the time that the RAF took delivery of the Mustang. They were unimpressed, as they had spend much time and effort preparing a Spit 16 in exchange. They were very proud of the Spit but very disappointed with the Mustang when it arrived.....

I bet not half as disappointed as the IWM were with their F-86............ :(

Member for

24 years 3 months

I had a chance to look at the P-51 in 1989 at Halton -its really not very nice.

Member for

15 years

I worked as a civilian volunteer labourer, at Halton, on that XVI (which is the one that famously interrupted a cricket match,) and, with (it was estimated) 1,000 manhours it could have been returned to flight. We civilians were pushed aside, when the swap was decided upon, though we were magnanimously allowed to attend the handover, while having to watch the RAF personnel get all of the credit.
We were able to inspect the "P-51," which had no engine, minimal cockpit contents, and the undercarriage was bolted into makeshift fittings in the bays, so it couldn't possibly retract. The Halton personnel had to spend hours making the airframe fit for its appearance at Hendon.
That "exchange" was one of the worst confidence tricks that I've ever witnessed.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Conversely,

I am aware of a static mustang restoration that was specified so completely, one could have built an airworthy one for a similar cost. It was for a museum swap, and I am unsure as to who got the best deal at the end of the day!

At the time, RAFM were very poor at setting out what they expected for their swaps; there are other examples.

I dont think they will be caught out in such a way again!

Bruce

Member for

18 years 1 month

Wasn't there a Cavalier Mustang in US Army colours that was air freighted into Upper Heyford, destined for the RAF Museum? I seem to recall that it returned to the States eventually?

Anyway, somebody certainly saw the RAF Museum coming on that other deal; an inspection of the P-51 before it was shipped would have been a good idea. Easy to say with hindsight, admittedly.

DD

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes the RAFM did have a Cavalier Mustang on loan for a while -think it was one of the machines used in the AH-56 project .

Member for

20 years 2 months

Is it back on display at Cosford? I had two trecks round last year both about October time, the 1st visit the P-51 was outside, the 2nd time it was not on display and was not seen outside, has it been moved into storage perhaps?

The top picture shows where it was but I belive theres a Spitfire in its place now...

Outside piccy
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7179/6779520290_cfaaa8ed1c.jpg
P-51D MUSTANG 44-73415 by Gaz West, on Flickr

Member for

16 years 9 months

I bet not half as disappointed as the IWM were with their F-86............ :(

Now there's a story! If I remember, the aircraft was never displayed without the engine blanks because of the internal condition.

I can't recall all the details now, but there was a long list of issues with the aircraft. I believe the loan was basically arranged sight unseen!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Here is a shot from 16 June 1989.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/16-SL57426Halton16June1989HandoverforP-51ImagePeterRArnold01a.jpg

Wow! No problem discerning why they would have been disappointed with the swap! The Mustang looks awful.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Now there's a story! If I remember, the aircraft was never displayed without the engine blanks because of the internal condition.

I can't recall all the details now, but there was a long list of issues with the aircraft. I believe the loan was basically arranged sight unseen!

It wasn't a loan, it was an exchange for a rather nice Meteor F4 that now sits in the jet hangar at Chino. The IWM have now decided that the F-86 needed too much work to bring it up to an acceptable display standard, and it is now at MAM in Coventry I believe.

I just hope the 'Big Nig' thing doesn't end in similar disappointment.

Member for

24 years 3 months

It swings both ways, Mike. Take the example of the Beaufighter that was swapped for a Bolingbroke from Rockcliffe. Show the punter a complete Beaufighter and then ship it with bare firewalls.

However, that Mustang is as rough as a bear's ****.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The F-86 at Coventry is up for disposal from the IWM collection. Its a composite airframe.