'Flying and Displaying Vintage Aircraft' - by Rod Dean

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

Tickets are now on sale for a talk on Flying and Displaying Vintage Aircraft by renowned air display pilot and former Royal Air Force fast jet pilot Rod Dean at the Orsett Hall Hotel, Orsett, Essex on Wednesday 4 April 2012.

The talk is the main feature of a special fundraising evening on behalf of the Vulcan Restoration Trust and all proceeds will go towards the ongoing restoration and preservation of Avro Vulcan XL426 at Southend Airport. It follows the superb talk on flying the Hawker Hunter which Rod gave at our Christmas Enthusiasts' Event & Buffet last December.

Rod is well qualified to talk about flying vintage aircraft. As well as being an accomplished public speaker, he has flown a wide variety of World War II and post-war piston-engined fighters such as the Mustang, Corsair, Wildcat, Sea Fury, Bearcat, Hurricane, Harvard, Skyraider and, his most favourite of all, the Spitfire:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/I8Spotters/XL426/CopyofDSC_9885-RodDean-PhilWhalley-small.jpg

He has also flown a number of vintage jet aircraft including the Hunter, Vampire, Venom, T33 and F86 Sabre. His CAA Display Authorisation covers all these aircraft and he is fully qualified to lead formations of any size - as was shown at Duxford in September 2000 when he was privileged to lead the 'Big Wing' formation of 19 Spitfires and Hurruicanes.

In 2001 Rod lead a team of five Hunters at the RAF Cottesmore Royal International Air Tattoo. Their display was judged to be the Best Overall Flying Demonstration and the team was awarded the King Hussein Memorial Sword. He is also a CAA Display Authorisation Evaluator.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/I8Spotters/XL426/CopyofDSC_2771-RodDean-PhilWhalley-small.jpg

The talk will take place at the Orsett Hall Hotel, Prince Charles Avenue, Orsett, Essex RM16 3HS, starting at 8.00 p.m. Doors open at 7.15 p.m.

Tickets cost £11.50 and can be ordered on-line at http://www.tickets.avrovulcan.com (subject to booking fee). VRT Members can purchase tickets at the reduced price of £10.00.

About Rod Dean:

Rod spent his entire 21 years with the RAF either on operational squadrons or at training units. As well as the Hunter, he also gained time on the Jaguar, Meteor, Gnat, Jet Provost and Chipmunk. In 1972-72 he was the Strike Command Hunter display pilot at RAF Chivenor, flying some 50 public displays over the two seasons and winning the first WD & HO Wills Solo Jet Display Trophy at the 1972 North Weald International Air Tattoo.

He left the RAF as a Squadron Leader and as both a Qualified Flying Instructor and Qualified Weapons Instructor. Rod then spent 10 years as the Business Manager for a flight simulator training company followed by 15 years with the Civil Aviation Authority. When he left the CAA, he became Chief Executive Officer of Air Safety Support International, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the CAA tasked with overseeing civil aviation regulation in the UK Overseas Territories. Prior to this Rod was the Head of the CAA's General Aviation Department. He is now the Flight Operations Consultant and Flying Display Director at the world famous Farnborough International Air Show.

Original post

Member for

17 years 5 months

Nice chap, used to fly the RR mk 19

Member for

16 years 9 months

I had a great conversation with Rod ten years or so ago, about his displays in Meteor F8 VZ467 ‘Winston’ . The aircraft had a great "blue note" which Rod put down, if I recall correctly, to the cannon shell ejection chutes!

Member for

14 years 4 months

I'd love to attend this but I'm not sure whether I'll be able to make it on time - will it be possible to purchase tickets on the door (unless it's a sell out)?

Member for

20 years 6 months

Hi E, I guess you've answered your own question there. Get in touch near the day via any of the various methods available to you and I'll let you know. Or just buy a ticket for the worthy cause! ;)

Member for

20 years 6 months

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/I8Spotters/XL426/RodDeanTalk_19_2_12_AW.jpg

Member for

20 years 6 months

Tickets are still available for this event.

Also the inimitable Ken Ellis has confirmed as guest speaker for our AGM/Enthusiast event on 14 April at Hawkwell Village Hall, Hockley, just outside Southend. Details will follow :)

Member for

20 years 6 months

There are still seats available for the Rod Dean event, so paying on the door on the night will be possible.
Cheers.

Member for

17 years 9 months

Was it not him who crashed one of the aeroplanes in "Flyboys"?