Dayglo paint on aircraft

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 8 months

Hi all

With the recent discussion of the lovely Vampire on DCW's thread on Duxford, I thought it might be worth asking the question.

My Auster T7 is under rebuild here in New Zealand to fly and I am returning her back into her original paint scheme she flew in with the RHKAAF. Basically she flew in the std trainer scheme of the time of silver with yellow trainer bands and later had the dayglo panels painted.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn90/Anthonyg/HKG-420Auster20T_720RHKAAF20Kai20Tak201968.jpg

I know that this paint is notoriously unstable, however has anyone come up with a good solution or know of a good paint that will last better than the old mix? The T-11 Vampire at Duxford looks spot on in the colour. But for me with an aircraft being operated and out in the weather?

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Anthony

Original post

Member for

18 years 5 months

The paint was not often actually paint. I have samples which were left over from an RAF Chipmunk workshop. These panels were made from sticky back rolls of dayglo aka Fire Orange and manufactured by the 3M company.

The clue in your photo is that the dayglo is in sections and that is usually the width of the sticky back roll.

Member for

15 years 10 months

I'll second that, the orange dayglow panels on Army helicopters are also sticky back vinyl sheets.

Member for

13 years 3 months

the dayglo stuff in general can be a nightmare to paint on anyway.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Dayglo tape - It's good for sticking on suitcases - easy to spot on the old baggage claim carousel...

Member for

16 years 7 months

Dayglo Film

Most sign making material suppliers carry this in various roll widths. We use 1200 wide for most film applications (plotters to cut it are this size) rolls of vinyl can be cut to 1000, 610, and 305mm lengths. Smaller sized dayglo panels are best cut to size by hand. Allprint supplies in Slough, Metamark Guildford are two suppliers that come to mind, be warned though its not cheap!

Member for

16 years 8 months

I've been viewing this for 20 mins, even started to post twice, but I couldn't bring myself to link to that thread T/O!

Basically with RAF aircraft sticky back 'Scotchcal' dayglo film was used until gloss signal red paint was specified to replace it during the early 1970s. Dayglo paint was used in some exceptions, it seems like high speed types such as Dominies and Gnats.
Royal Navy guidelines was to paint dayglo on. All from paint A.P. 1971.

There does seem to be a brief perod (late '50s, early '60s) where the dayglo was applied along with the yellow training bands.

Unsure about RNZAF, did they follow RAF guidlines?

Member for

20 years 10 months

I bought a good quality dayglo paint (German) a few years ago, applied it to our JP by the book, and laquered it with two pack clearcoat, looked beautiful.

It lasted little over 9 months before it looked awful. UV damage.

To keep it looking nice you would have to strip the old dayglo paint (and the surrounding paintwork aswell) each time before you apply fresh coats of paint, to prevent paint build up.
A real pain compared to the removal of vinyl dayglo strips, which we are about to apply to XS186 this summer to cut down on the work above.

We have also invested in covers that we will only remove when we have to (every weekend for a few hours). You may be better off than we are, and can hangar your aircraft, away from those UV rays!

We anticipate dayglo change every two years based on our level of protection. Depending where you are in NZ you probably get more sun than we do?

Paul
XS186 CREW

Member for

18 years 2 months

Thats a very interesting photo Anthony... Do you have any more photos of HK Austers in those markings? Any idea how long before your Auster will emerge in such colours??

Member for

20 years 2 months

Scotchcal is the stuff, although contrary to Pagen's mail I think the RN Tiger Moths did actually use it instead of paint.

Relightflynn9 - did you ever use the numbers I drew for your aircraft? I never did see the results.

Lee

Member for

16 years 8 months

Should stress that the services' paint guide says that, there always seems to be exceptions!

Member for

20 years 10 months

Hi Lee

Yes we did, and thanks very much. We did send off our modest donation to the FAAM i think it was?
Take a look at the photo at the foot of the Gallery section on our website, which i will apologise in advance for, as it's still under development.

http://jetprovostxs186restoration.com

Regards

Paul

Member for

12 years 6 months

Dayglo paint

Whilst on the subject of the foybles of applying Dayglo, a good case in point is the Canso/Catalina at Coford, at some point in the late eighties it aquired a repaint,but the dayglo on the nose in particular has a dreadful finish, and given the high quality of the rest of the collection i am amazed it hasnt received some work to rectify this.it is patchy and full of runs, anyone else noticed this?

Member for

13 years 8 months

Hi guys

Well thank you all very much for the feedback. Looks like I should use Dayglo tape then. Any idea what the width of the tape is? I guess that it will be easier to replace when it fades.

Paul, I enjoyed looking at all the great work you guys have done on the Jet Provost....well done!

VX927, I have a couple more pics of my plane in HK, mostly in the silver/yellow....some great colour ones from the RHKAAF Historical Society. Also a nice one of her flying in the late sixties/very early seventies when she got repainted in their white scheme with red/blue trim.

As you can see from the photo below I have a way to go. She has been stripped to a bare frame, x-rayed/NDT'd any repairs carried out, internal corrosion preventative treatment and the borascope sent up to check other areas. The frame has been primered and the original "Auster green" matched from NOS parts. The fin as well as tailfeathers have been done ready for fabric as well as the u/c, doors and engine mounts. The Gipsy Major 7 is in strip down and I am soon to start refitting the fuse. I have all the original military gear she carried in her long carreer including signal pistols, downward ID lights, crowbars etc... As you can imagine it has been an expensive exercise so far, but very few T7's survive that had such a long military history and not converted to Terriers. I feel compelled to do it right first time.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn90/Anthonyg/IMGP7821.jpg

So when will it fly......?????

Thanks again for everyones responses, much appreciated!

Cheers
Anthony

Member for

18 years 2 months

The most common widths available are:

25mm
50mm
75mm
100mm

Other sizes can usually be cut to order.

Project wise the museum where I volunteer is in a similar position!

Good luck with yours!!

Member for

20 years 10 months

The most common widths available are:

25mm
50mm
75mm
100mm

Is that 'tape' on a roll? Post #7 refers to wider vinyl roll sizes 605mm plus so I guess you can get it any size you want within reason. Wider rolls will be hard to handle without experience I would say, particularly if applying to compound curves.

Member for

18 years 2 months

On 10m rolls - certainly available in the UK; I guess local supply may be different in other countries.

Sadly not really amongst the aviation maintenance tapes that I am sometimes involved with!

Member for

16 years 8 months

Looks like I should use Dayglo tape then. Any idea what the width of the tape is?

In A.P.119A-0601-D, that I drew on in my earlier post, it quotes the use of 8" wide Scotchcal film on use on Chipmunks & Hunters, this may be the same across other aircraft types but can't see the relevant part.
Chapter 5, para 9, gives very precise and detailed instructions and drawings on how the film should be applied, its application and removal looks as involved as painting it on to me!:eek:

If you PM your email I can try and email this A.P. to you, won't be today though.

Member for

14 years 11 months

I have been using dayglow stick-on foil for 4 years now on gliders. My experience is that with aircraft that are outside about 250 days a year, the foil fades after about 3 years. Easy to replace. One word of caution: use a little heat (hairdryer will do) when removing the old foil or you'll rip the paint off, especially when applied to things like Ceconite. I use 1 metre wide rolls of the stuff. Expensive, but worth it. Don't bother with paint unless you'll want that old worn down look within a year.