Help needed with Wessex identity

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 3 months

I am trying to identify the Wessex in the attached scan of a photocopy and I am struggling. I would certainly appreciate any help that the erudite forum members can provide.

To my eye it appears to be the remains of a Wessex HAS 3 and was coded xx0, it looks like it may even have been x10. Can anyone shed any light as to its identity and what happened to cause it ending up like this.

I am assuming its not one of the Australian aircraft, could it be?

Any assistance would be very welcome.

Ta

QP
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Original post

Member for

12 years 11 months

Could it be the RAN one that crashed in Bass Strait in 1983 or the one in the info below?

Westland Wessex HAS.31A, c/n WA201, f/f:14/08/62
del RAN as N7-201, 881, 09May62
ditched 23/11/70 after engine failure during night flying dunking sortie, Shoalhaven Bight
recoded 811, unk
With 725 Sqdn LEUT(P) J.Wilkie RAN, SBLT(P) R.G. Snell RAN, LT(O) C.R. Linsell RN, Aircrewman LSUC J.P. McCraken
Only one of two inflation bags operated and aircraft turned upside down in the water
Whilst being towed into Jervis Bay the aircraft sank, crew rescued by Wessex 820.

From Helis.com

Member for

13 years 5 months

Help needed with Wessex identity

To my eye it appears to be the remains of a Wessex HAS 3 and was coded xx0,

One Wessex HAS.3 that could fit the bill is

15/11/1971 XP116 PO-520 Wessex HAS3 737 NAS - Ditched into the English Channel off Portland, Dorset. To Lee-on-Solent AES as A2618.

We are looking for an aircraft that ditched into the sea and was recovered. The code applied to XP116 fits the "0" visible - although what use half a Wessex would be as an instructional airframe beats me!

More plausible is this one

06/01/1972 XP104 BL-410 Wessex HAS3 820 NAS - Suffered an engine fire while en route to HMS Blake. and ditched into Valetta Harbour, Malta. It remained afloat but, while under tow, it turned over and sank off Delimara Point

That is, if the code visible was "10" and not just "0".

Member for

18 years 2 months

At the top of the picture you can see reflections that indicate buildings or coastline which would be consistent with a recovery close to harbour or shore. Furthermore, to me the damage at the front of the aircraft looks consistent with fire damage. Finally, I'd say that the code is definitely x10, which in my opinion makes it likely to be XP104.

Kind Regards
Scotty

Member for

13 years 3 months

Not sure

Thanks to all three of you for your comments.

The description that I have for this incident is as follows;

"Whilst on a sortie from HMS Blake in the Mediterranean, a fire warning illuminated and the crew could smell smoke. The pilot elected to land in the sea rather than attempt to return to the ship. The aircraft remained afloat for 3 hours but then rolled over and sank after one floatation bag deflated. The three crew were rescued".

Whilst there does not seem to be a better fit than XP104, the damage in the photo does not seem to be consistent with the above description. It looks looks to be a more violent ending than just landing on the surface and then rolling over some three hours later. Of course the damage could have been done when it hit the bottom but I am not convinced.

QP

Member for

13 years 1 month

Whilst there does not seem to be a better fit than XP104, the damage in the photo does not seem to be consistent with the above description. It looks looks to be a more violent ending than just landing on the surface and then rolling over some three hours later. Of course the damage could have been done when it hit the bottom but I am not convinced.

QP

If the Wessex suffered a fire and then turned over and sank to the bottom I'm not surprised it looks like that. Bear in mind the fragile nature of the front of a Wessex, lightweight panels and frames and plenty of perspex already seriously weakened by the heat would have offered little resistance to any impact -especially the rest of the aircraft bearing down on it when it hit the bottom. The rear fuselage probably tore off on bottom impact or separated on recovery - broken main rotors may have also caused structural damage aiding the separation.

Member for

18 years 2 months

If the Wessex suffered a fire and then turned over and sank to the bottom I'm not surprised it looks like that. Bear in mind the fragile nature of the front of a Wessex, lightweight panels and frames and plenty of perspex already seriously weakened by the heat would have offered little resistance to any impact -especially the rest of the aircraft bearing down on it when it hit the bottom. The rear fuselage probably tore off on bottom impact or separated on recovery - broken main rotors may have also caused structural damage aiding the separation.

Usually when a chopper goes to the bottom, the tail comes off when the crane lifts the airframe up through the water too fast. The tailplane / rear structure was never designed to take the load of water flowing past. Add to the fact the structure could have been weakened by the sinking.

Also, depending on the depth of water it sunk in, any space that is relatively water tight but filled with air is subject to hydrostatic pressure crushing it, further weakening it, although I doubt this was the case in this instance - I don't think the coastal waters of Malta are that deep for it to happen...

I'm starting to move away from the fire damage idea due to the relative lack of structural deformity in the nose area, and in the area of the gearbox. Nearly every chopper I've seen on the seabed lands on it's side or upside down due to the weight of the engine and gearboxes, but depending on the depth of water, I'd say it is possible the chopper has impacted the seabed in the area of the cockpit, and rolled onto its port side - hard to say without another view of the other side.

The rotors played no part in the tail damage judging by what was left, and the story of the accident, I'd say that they were not rotating when the aircraft sunk...

I've plenty of experience of seeing stuff dropped, or being dropped on the seabed; unfortunately some of that have been aircraft....

Kind Regards,
Scotty

Member for

12 years 7 months

It was 215 that crashed at Golden Beach(close to RAAF East Sale) on the 4/12/83. I was at RAAF East Sale at the time, plus it was on my birthday! When they trucked the wreck back to East Sale a few days later, the wreck looked nothing like the picture in the original post.

Member for

18 years 7 months

A bit more on the loss of XP104 from http://www.aviationinmalta.com/MilitaryAviation/AccidentsMilitary/19701979/tabid/653/language/en-US/Default.aspx

06.01.72 W. Wessex HAS.3 Royal Navy XP104 From HMS Blake.

Fire alarm went off, and crew could smell smoke. Pilot chose to land in the sea rather than on land, due to possibility of fire. Flotation bags were inflated allowing crew to escape. Wessex remained afloat for 3 hours, but sank after one bag collapsed. The helicopter was later raised from the sea. The whole incident was photographed by a film unit nearby. This is probably the same unit which was filming an episode of “The Protectors”, and had made use of DC-3 N484F the previous December. (See Planes on Film page.)

Member for

20 years 2 months

It's XP104. Full details in THE book.....:cool:

The Wessex was made largely of magnesium alloy which dissolved very quickly in salt water and attempts to salvage would normally incur further damage of this sort. A pretty typical salvaged Wessex photo...