Mustang/Skyraider collision on Channel 5

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 3 months

There was a TV programme on Channel 5 here in the UK last night called (with typical C5 restraint!) World's Scariest Near Misses. It includes an item on the Mustang/Skyraider collision at Legends last year. I've no wish to reignite the cause-of-accident debate, but it's worth watching for some clear video of the incident and an interview with Rob Davies. Here's the link:

http://www.channel5.com/shows/worlds-scariest/episodes/worlds-scariest-near-misses

The segment begins at 31:15.

Original post

Member for

18 years 2 months

Blocked in other countries.:mad:

Member for

18 years 2 months

Thanks.

What a character.

"Would I exchange Christmas cards?"

*Most people then thinks he's gonna say a dramatic "no way".

And then says;

"Propably I would".

Member for

12 years 5 months

Rob Davies , you sir are a true gent.

Member for

14 years 3 months

Has there been any official announcement on the investigation into the incident or is it still ongoing? I don't recall hearing anything.

Member for

12 years 6 months

Damned close....

.....every time I watch that video, I'm amazed. It's as close a close call as one will see. A very high anal pucker factor....:eek:

Member for

16 years 5 months

Thanks.

What a character.

"Would I exchange Christmas cards?"

*Most people then thinks he's gonna say a dramatic "no way".

And then says;

"Propably I would".

Hi I saw the program & cant believe that the sky raider pilot has not been in touch !!

Steve

Member for

20 years 1 month

Hi I saw the program & cant believe that the sky raider pilot has not been in touch !!

Steve

He should at least have exchanged details, even if he was not going to admit liability.

That's a whiplash claim right there.

Member for

14 years 8 months

I spoke to Rob a few days after the accident and he was so calm about. A real cool dude. Just minutes afterwards he was throwing his Stearman around at Raydon giving an immaculate display

Member for

21 years 1 month

Apparently sales of the parachute Rob Davies used went off the scale
after he used his.
mmitch.

Member for

12 years 4 months

A very high anal pucker factor....:eek:

I believe that's what they used to call "ring twitch" :eek:

Joking aside, I am still amazed at the guy's presence of mind considering the suddenness and severity of the impact to get his bearings, right the aircraft, and bale out, all in the very few seconds available to him. Also, I can only admire his sang froid afterwards as I can assure you I would be distinctly more sweary! As someone else has said, a proper gentleman.

RR

Member for

20 years 1 month

On the subject of quick thinking, the Skyraider pilot did amazingly well to complete a roll with half of the starboard wing missing and then recover to a safe landing. Lucky that the aileron didn't detach. I can't work out why he caught BBD up so quickly after the 2 second break.

Member for

12 years 6 months

.ooOoops..

On the subject of quick thinking, the Skyraider pilot did amazingly well to complete a roll with half of the starboard wing missing and then recover to a safe landing. Lucky that the aileron didn't detach. I can't work out why he caught BBD up so quickly after the 2 second break.

Such 'breaks' have traditionally been used to bleed-off energy to get down to gear limit speeds etc. If they were indeed about to land, One must presume that the Skyraider wasn't slowing down so quickly, so he needn't have been actually accelerating. Not a big problem if he'd have held his turn outside the Mustang. Pulling inside, he probably lost sight of it. **** happens, but they guys were all OK, which is the main thing.

Member for

20 years 1 month

The other side of this is that BBD was slowing (he did have his flaps down) and the Skyraider mistook the last Mustang in the previous group for BBD, which is possibly why he tightened his turn. It will be interesting to see what the investigation comes up with.

Member for

19 years 1 month

I was in Le Fertais after the accident. I asked one of the pilots if the Skyraider pilot was ok and he said he was, but seemed to put the blame with Rob Davies. I didn't pursue the conversation.

Member for

18 years 2 months

I was in Le Fertais after the accident. I asked one of the pilots if the Skyraider pilot was ok and he said he was, but seemed to put the blame with Rob Davies. I didn't pursue the conversation.

I guess the right people will put the blame where it should be, but I honestly have to say that I can't see how the Frenchies will come out on top on this one.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Like most things there are two sides to every story.

Member for

17 years 5 months

Apparently sales of the parachute Rob Davies used went off the scale
after he used his.
mmitch.

Out of interest what make was this.

Member for

17 years 5 months

Thanks Propstrike