Brooklands Aviation Tiger Moths

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 5 months

An area that is fully out of what my normal interest is so I am wondering if the forum can help me at all with a small project I may embark upon.

I am interested in the Tiger Moths operated by a company called Brooklands Aviation. They were the ones in the lovely red, black & silver scheme. I am struggling to find any photographic information on the machines operated by the company.

Loads of pictures of perserved Tigers in this scheme on the www, however I am not sure if these are genuine ex Brooklands Aviation machines or not.

Is there any websites or books where I can look into further?

As always, any information shared would be appreciated.

Martin

Original post

Member for

13 years

They're local to me and I may have a picture or two from the 1970's when Brooklands was at Sywell.

Member for

19 years

The Tigers were long gone by the 70's at Sywell. None of the current glut of "Brooklands" Tigers were originaly "Brooklands" Aeroplanes, I should know I rebuilt 3 of them:D
You may well get some good pics of original Brooklands Tigers from www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk
Also try the Brooklands Museum at weybridge. There are some original "Brooklands" Tigers still flying including G-ADIA although no longer in the "Brooklans" Scheme. G-ADGT which was a original "Brooklands" A/C was sadly crashed at Headcorn last year, its fate I know not what:(
Also if you can get hold of a copy of any of Stuart McKay's books on the Tiger there are pics of "Brooklands" Tiggie's

Member for

16 years 3 months

G-ADGV is a pre WWII ex Brooklands machine. It wears the original Brooklands colour scheme. It is registered to owners in the Netherlands.

Planemike

Member for

19 years

I was never sure if DGV was an Original but Ive just checked GINFO and your right it was. Certainly the others were not, we chose that scheme because they were based at Sywell and it looks good :D

Member for

17 years 6 months

Quite a few pictures of Brooklands Tiger Moths in the Haynes Manual of said beasties....... (blatant plug from skint author)

If you can get across to Sywell Aerodrome (Northampton) tomorrow, there may be several people around who can give you 'chapter and verse' on the aircraft. It is the Vintage Aircraft Club Snowball Rally, and even if the forecast gusting winds limit fly-in attendence, we'll have some hangars open and aeroplanes to look at!

Member for

14 years 5 months

Gentlemen thank you very much for your help with my question. All I expected was a pointer as where to look for information to progress my research, in the posts made you have taken me a little further than I could have hoped.

A couple of PM's incoming to people.

Dear Skint Author,

Thank you very much for the pointer, sadly I am a skint cinema manager and am having to work this weekend otherwise I would have come over to Sywell (a place with bags of character) and had a nosey.

I will seek out your book and help your flying fund :D

Member for

20 years

and don't forget to visit Sywell Aviation Museum's Paul Morgan Hall when we reopen on Easter Saturday, 7th April to see loads of pictures, models and more of the Brooklands Tigers!

TT

Member for

19 years 2 months

Martin Came to see us last opening - he took loads of pics of the KK for a CD

Also gonna do one on the Beech at some point

Martin - it is painted now - just gotta tidy some of the markings

Member for

17 years 6 months

Hi Martin

Have a lot of detail shots if required. PM me with your e-mail address and specific requirements and I will see what I can find...

Steve

Member for

14 years 5 months

Martin Came to see us last opening - he took loads of pics of the KK for a CD

I Look forward to the call saying come over again :D

A lovely day that, seem to recall a Brooklands Tiggie in front of the fence. Or is that the old grey cells not working again ?

Member for

14 years 5 months

Hi Martin

Have a lot of detail shots if required. PM me with your e-mail address and specific requirements and I will see what I can find...

Steve

PM Sent Steve

Member for

11 years 10 months

I am interested in the Tiger Moths operated by a company called Brooklands Aviation. They were the ones in the lovely red, black & silver scheme. I am struggling to find any photographic information on the machines operated by the company.

As always, any information shared would be appreciated.

Martin

As mentioned before the G-ADGV is one of the Tiger Moths or probably the only one that has flown for Brooklands Aviation and still having the Brooklands color scheme. I have the original registration form from 1935.

As I'm the owner of the G-ADGV, I might be able to help you, if still needed.

Mike.

Member for

14 years 5 months

As mentioned before the G-ADGV is one of the Tiger Moths or probably the only one that has flown for Brooklands Aviation and still having the Brooklands color scheme. I have the original registration form from 1935.

As I'm the owner of the G-ADGV, I might be able to help you, if still needed.

Mike.

Hello Mike,

Many thanks for the reply. PM inbound shortly.

Member for

15 years 8 months

Dont forget that Brookland's also owned at least one DH89 Rapide!

Our G-AHJO/NR747 belonged to them at one time!

Member for

11 years 10 months

Propeller aircraft

Propeller aircraft use one or more propellers (airscrews) to create thrust in a forward direction. The propeller is usually mounted in front of the power source in tractor configuration but can be mounted behind in pusher configuration. Variations of propeller layout include contra-rotating propellers and ducted fans.

Member for

18 years 1 month

Further to GrahamSimons' post, Brooklands at Sywell also operated a couple of Austers in the house colour scheme. I have just found a photo in which two are visible, taken at a Northamptonshire ATC parade at Sywell in, I think, 1959. One of them is J-1 G-AMTM, which I had the pleasure to fly in 1960.

Member for

19 years

Further to GrahamSimons' post, Brooklands at Sywell also operated a couple of Austers in the house colour scheme. I have just found a photo in which two are visible, taken at a Northamptonshire ATC parade at Sywell in, I think, 1959. One of them is J-1 G-AMTM, which I had the pleasure to fly in 1960.

Brooklands opperated more than a couple of Austers, they had a fleet of then:D

Member for

18 years 4 months

Here she is in 1965, unfortunalely in black and white!

Attachments

Member for

15 years 8 months

Dont forget that Brookland's also owned at least one DH89 Rapide!

Our G-AHJO/NR747 belonged to them at one time!

Hotel Oscar in its original Brooklands Colours - we restored it, and put it in Kings Flight colours with permission of HRH etc. We sold it to Proteus Aviation who put it in Brookland colours, who then crashed it!

Attachments

Member for

11 years 8 months

good