Another Lightning Displayed At Coningsby

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 5 months

Well done to all involved..

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafconingsby/newsweather/index.cfm?storyid=60699B0F-5056-A318-A8D2AB634C46F8B9

Original post

Member for

14 years 4 months

That looks superb. I had my doubts when I heard that the Squadron were back-converting the F.6 to an F.3, but the end result more than justifies it!

Member for

24 years 3 months

re;

Is it owned by the same couple who own the F6 at Waddington?

Puzzled about the Harrier at Conningsby, but at least its looked after.

Member for

16 years 8 months

I was initially, as I am by the station having more than one gateguard, the Harrier is there because it represents the resident 3 Sqdns' (currently Typhoon FGR.4) past.
The Lightning resto looks superb, and it is great to see the squadrons and station remembering their past.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The Lightning belongs to 'Lakes Lightning's.

Member for

16 years 4 months

I've seen the lighting many times at its past home and cant quite believe how good it looks in these pictures. Well done to all involved.

Member for

24 years 3 months

re;

I was initially, as I am by the station having more than one gateguard, the Harrier is there because it represents the resident 3 Sqdns' (currently Typhoon FGR.4) past.
The Lightning resto looks superb, and it is great to see the squadrons and station remembering their past.

whoops I forgot that, too much mead http://forum.keypublishing.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Member for

18 years 1 month

'Out of the bag' so to speak

Greetings all from 'Lakes Lightnings',

Yes we did go public last friday 09 Dec 11 with the grand unveiling of our Lightning Hybid on loan to 29 (R) Sqn RAF.

Painted up as XP765 but really XS897 underneath for the number crunchers out there.

The whole project has been quietly ticking away like a swimming Swan; calm on the topside but frantic paddling below. A lot of good people have been involved around and about and the end result is SUPERB as we are sure you'll agree!

So, she is going to live at 29 (R) Sqn for the next 10 years plus or so.

Stn Cdr and in particular, OC29 have been absolute 'stars' with regard to her restoration to this lovely silver standard from her Cammo on one side and Barley Grey on the other as she wore at AeroVenture Museum, Doncaster.

It has been a big team effort all round and 'Lakes Lightnings' are PROUD to support the RAF as always.

Fly Safe, Fly the Flag.... EE Lightning, one of the Best of British!

Neil & Heather
'Lakes Lightnings'

Member for

18 years 1 month

Following on:

We forgot to mention that 'Lakes Lightnings' owns 3 complete Lightning airframes and 3 Lightning nose sections amongst others.

No we dont have a website as we are a private collection viewable by prior arrangement and at events such as Cockpitfest and T.A.S.Manchester.

We are keen to let folks visit BUT at our convenience AND by arrangement. Work gets in the way of play as we all know!

To date we have 13 aircraft(!) in our inventory:
XM172
XS420
XS897 (XP765)
XM144
XS922
WT711
T55 55-715 (ZF596)
WK122
XZ131
Harrier T4 (Ex Cranfield development - no desig)
SU-7 (no desig)
XN597
XS181

All the best for Xmas folks ... Fly Safe, Fly the Flag.... Neil & Heather

Member for

19 years 6 months

Is that the ex Merkle SU-7 cockpit ?

Ben

Member for

20 years 3 months

Hi Stu,
Great film,she looks fantastic,even got myself and Hooly in it!

Very proud to have played a small part in the project, pity I didn't get to see it unveiled,hopefully I will get to CBY one day and be able to show the kids,'look what we did!'

Hope you are ok.
All the best ,Alan

Member for

24 years 3 months

What a terrific film, thanks for posting this up!

Member for

19 years 10 months

Really enjoyed the video, and hearing Vangelis again after all these years. The Lightning looks magnificent... well done to all involved, and especially to the creative cooperation between the RAF and civilians. It seems like a perfect example of what could occur at other bases. I was pleased to see her wings are able to be disassembled without resorting to saws as well. Do you have a maintenance agreement?

Cheers,
Richard

Member for

24 years 3 months

She was fitted with a pair of cut wings when she initially arrived at Firbeck. A trade was done and a pair of uncut wings were acquired from Flixton.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Anyone know which Vangelis song that is?

Member for

14 years 10 months

It's called "To the Unknown Man".

Great little video, it just goes to show how much effort, money and expertise has been lavished on this aircraft to save it from the state of dereliction is was in at Rossington.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks AdlerTag.

Member for

12 years 10 months

Lightning wing rebuild.

I was pleased to see her wings are able to be disassembled without resorting to saws as well.

Having stripped XM 173 at Binbrook in a warm hangar in 1976 and taken it to Bentley Priory for rebuild, this is not the job for the faint hearted. Apparently we were the first team to complete the task. (Unless you know different!) On an uphill slop at the back of the Officers Mess; with the road slopping inwards to a drainage channel, it was not easy to mate those wings. A number of MT trolley jacks borrowed from Uxbridge allowed us to reassemble the wings. Oh by the way the rain was persistent and this was late October and outside.:)

Member for

16 years 3 months

You got any pictures of the process at either end Wokka Bob ?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Cracking job - looks fit to fly again...