Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wyvern burials - Gosport

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lee Howard View Post
    Ollie

It's not Siskin. That's Fleetlands (I have a copy of the photo). Date is 25 March 1958 and the Sea Balliol is 765 Sqn's WP325. It's the running-up pans opposite A and B Shops (where you lot used to park your trucks when you were with MASU!) looking across through the fence to Bedenham. The Wyvern is WN333 '382/O' (noting that if the date on which the photo was reportedly taken is correct the date in our book must be an allotment instead of an actual delivery; I'll amend!). I have a shot taken from the Sea Hawk end which shows the code on the Wyvern. Unfortunately the Sea Hawk is completely paint stripped, so no such ID for that one!

Besides which Wyvern overhauls by Fleetlands only began in late 1956 - after Siskin closed - being test flown from Lee. Indeed there is a photo of one such machine - WN326 - on static display at Lee Air Day in 1957 just days before being flown to Lossiemouth and straight into storage prior to being scrapped. Fleetlands-overhauled aircraft (those that were refinished) were very easy to identify with a very deep EDSG demarcation line.

MTP at that time was Lieutenant Commander (E) 'Joe' Norman who did (as far as I know) all of the Wyvern testing. I've only got part of his logbook (annoyingly missing March 1958!) and sadly he died last year.

Lee
    I agree, It's Fleetlands. Just past B shop heading (north) towards the main part of the plant.

Incidently many of the Wyverns arrived at Fleetlands still wearing their Suez stripes. Although the one in the pic is ex Ark Royal (not at Suez)

A & B shops were converted to servicing helicopters shortly after this picture was taken. I have many happy memories of setting the rotor tracking out on those pads in the picture.
    Rgds
    Bill

Comment

Bill

When were you at FL then? You're right; there are photos of Suez-marked Wyverns in H Shop (my old stomping ground) and similarly-marked Sea Hawks in B Shop. There is a photo of a Wyvern using the gun butts between A and B Shops (incredibly pointing right towards the A32!) and there is a photo of the tail of a Wyvern being inspected during a visit of (FORA, I think). But other than that, I can't think of any others.

It's nice to go back and visit every few months but the old place is a shadow of its former glory. I'm only glad I got to experience it as a proper RNAY!

Lee
      The views I express are PURELY my own. Please respect that.

Comment

Originally posted by trumper View Post
        Some Spitfires have been rebuilt and flown with less material :diablo:
        How much is a flying Wyvern worth up against a flying Spitfire ??
        Values after rebuild make a rebuild work...or not work.
        'Where the hell have you been?'

Comment

Bill

When were you at FL then? You're right; there are photos of Suez-marked Wyverns in H Shop (my old stomping ground) and similarly-marked Sea Hawks in B Shop. There is a photo of a Wyvern using the gun butts between A and B Shops (incredibly pointing right towards the A32!) and there is a photo of the tail of a Wyvern being inspected during a visit of (FORA, I think). But other than that, I can't think of any others.

Out of interest where are these photos please?
          Facebook page
          https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan

Comment

Originally posted by xtangomike View Post
            How much is a flying Wyvern worth up against a flying Spitfire ??
            Values after rebuild make a rebuild work...or not work.
            Perhaps the question should be- How much is a flying Wyvern worth to the person who wants one, compared to how much a flying spitfire is worth to him ?.

Bob T.

Comment

OOPS!

Photobucket

Thanks for the correction Lee. The photo with three a/c at dispersal appears in the Sultan Airfield museum stating it was Siskin, I will now be able to change this . Hopefully the attached Photo here is the one you mention as being Fleetlands.............?

Comment

Here is the other half of that photo.
                Last edited by H.M.S Vulture; 3rd October 2012, 20:34.
                WANTED FAIREY FIREFLY parts!
                Griffon74@btinternet.com

Comment

It doesn't surprise me that it was wrongly captioned. I recall there being many incorrectly captioned images on display there when it was run by my (sur)name sake!

Yes, that's the shot of H Shop.

Lee
                  The views I express are PURELY my own. Please respect that.

Comment

Bill

It's nice to go back and visit every few months but the old place is a shadow of its former glory. I'm only glad I got to experience it as a proper RNAY!

Lee
                    Hi Lee:

1957-63. I completed a 5 year aircraft fitter (airframes & engines) apprenticeship and then worked for a further year. The last 2 years in B shop on helicopters, mainly Dragonflies & Whirlwinds.
                    I didn't work in H (or J) shops. I remember them at that time filled with Sea Hawks & Sea Venoms with a few Vampire T22's and the occasional Sea Prince.

Funnily, my recollections of the butts between A & B shops always includes a Wyvern lurking in front of them. There was a story around Fleetlands at that time regarding checking the Wyverns guns. It was said that because the beast was so high on the first firing some of the rounds glanced off the roof of the butts ans fragments were later found embedded in a Gosport provincial double-decker bus that happened to be passing by on the A32 at that time. As I said "a good story"

Rgds
                    Bill

Comment

Fantastic pictures being posted here, especially the maintenance hangar shots, first time I've seen pics of Wyverns being worked on.

Sorry if this is drifting a bit, but nice shot of 813 sqn Wyverns at RNAS Ford, aicraft that can be read are, VZ793 126, WL877 127, VZ791 129, WL87_ 124, & VZ79_

Westland Wyverns 813 Sqn RNAS Ford by jamtey71, on Flickr
                      http://www.abpic.co.uk/search.php?q=...t=most_popular

Comment

Think I've just died and gone to heaven....................

Comment

Agreed James. I have some of Wyvern servicing at Ford but first time i've seen the Fleetlands shot.
                          Good to see the Wyvern getting some interesting posts.
                          Last edited by Wyvernfan; 28th February 2013, 21:27.
                          Facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by steve36uk View Post
                            Think I've just died and gone to heaven....................
                            Surely...

Think I've just died and gone to Wyvern
                            Weather - Fair with cloudy patches, clear by early evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark12 View Post
                              Tonight's Portsmouth paper.

Mark

Just been introduced to the site by "Roborough", as an old Gosportian & ex Fleetlands man, interested in Siskin burials. As a lad in the early 1950's we used to play around on crashed/abandoned aircraft on a corner of the airfield. It was opposite Rowner church, entry via a crash gate. There was a pill box/shelter on the right of the gate. I spent many happy hours crawling in & out of Fireflies, at least one Seafire, I do remember an Attacker there as well. One day we arrived to find the gate padlocked & dire notices placed. The aircraft disappeared shortly after. Hope this is of interest. John

Comment

If all the buried aircraft in all the world are dug up...what will we do with the huge spoil heap of soil?

Answers on a postcard....
                                Editor: 'Britain at War' Magazine

A 'Key Publishing' product - Britain's Best Selling Military History Monthly

Comment

Surely it's the other way around, Andy. There will be a series of holes once the soil gets put back (because of the missing volume of the aircraft)...

Comment

Could fill the houses of parliament with the soil,makes more sense than that lot of overpaid liars.

Comment

Originally posted by trumper View Post
                                      Could fill the houses of parliament with the soil,makes more sense than that lot of overpaid liars.
                                      now where is the like button.........................
                                      or use all the politicians as land fill to level out the earth after all the buriad planes are dug out....

Comment

Originally posted by Tangmere1940 View Post
                                        If all the buried aircraft in all the world are dug up...what will we do with the huge spoil heap of soil?

Answers on a postcard....

Simple. Dig another hole and put it in there!
                                        Facebook page

Comment

HMS Siskin/Grange Airfield Dump

Originally posted by dunkeld View Post
                                          Just been introduced to the site by "Roborough", as an old Gosportian & ex Fleetlands man, interested in Siskin burials. As a lad in the early 1950's we used to play around on crashed/abandoned aircraft on a corner of the airfield. It was opposite Rowner church, entry via a crash gate. There was a pill box/shelter on the right of the gate. I spent many happy hours crawling in & out of Fireflies, at least one Seafire, I do remember an Attacker there as well. One day we arrived to find the gate padlocked & dire notices placed. The aircraft disappeared shortly after. Hope this is of interest. John
                                          Hi John,
                                          You were n't from Bridgemary by any chance were you?, please see post 30 we did the same and had a whale of a time, and welcome to the forum.

In another post 49, mention is made of aircraft buried in chalkpits at the airfield, there were two old gravel pits on the southern side of the airfield near was/is the Officers Mess, I have a map showing the location of these pits and will post it when retrieved.

The Hangar above the Wyvern in post 50 is one of two demolished to make way for the RN and RM Records/Drafts building which is now HMS Centurian within the present day HMS Sultan complex, photo is looking north. The aircraft dump location is where I remembered it as a kid, again please see my post 30 on this thread describing our find.

Finally, just thought I would post some old newspaper pics, I asked permission to photograph these pics, they were in a certain Library but in a very large ledger which was too large to photocopy, they were taken at the 1952 Air Day at Lee-on-Solent by The Hampshire Telegraph, (I was much too young to attend this one I am quick to add!),
                                          I think the second one will appeal to Wyvernfan especially, what is interesting are the still bomb damaged Hangars 6 years after the war. The serial below the wing has the numbers 2 and 7 I think, the other two types are also incorporated in this thread pictured at the same Air Day.

Gerry R
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X