Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wyvern burials - Gosport

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr Strangelove
    Doktor Merkwrdigliebe

Originally posted by Anon View Post
    Go for it, Chaps, and the best of luck.
    You know what, even though experience has directed us otherwise, the "go for it" still sounds good, certainly won't do any harm, nothing to lose, everything to gain, so the can do attitude gets the Strangelove seal of approval
    Sometimes it's better to be a bumblebee than it is to be Professor Heinkel.

Comment

• Tangmere1940
      Andy Saunders

Couldn't argue with that, Strangelove.

After all, I have been pessimistic (and some!) prior to some of the more succesful projects I have got involved with!
      Editor: 'Britain at War' Magazine

A 'Key Publishing' product - Britain's Best Selling Military History Monthly

Comment

• sopwith.7f1
        Rank 5 Registered User

IF there are any remains of the Wyverns etc still there, then does it matter what condition they might be in ?. After all, how many of you would turn your noses up at a large lump of Spitfire, no matter how squashed, burned & corroded it might be ? "exactly, not many of you", so whats the difference if it's a lump of Wyvern, surely the chance of recovering any Wyvern parts is worth the effort, especially given the types rarety.

Bob T.

Comment

• Wyvernfan
          Rank 5 Registered User

Couldn't of put it better myself, Bob T.
          Facebook page
          https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan

Comment

• Tangmere1940
            Andy Saunders

If you want to dig up a Wyvern.....

Comment

• Wyvernfan
              Rank 5 Registered User

My spade is already sharpened at the ready. Its just a shame that some have decided to rubbish this project at the first moment it goes public for info!

It seems there's nothing quite like the Wyvern for dividing opinion on here, apart from the Vulcan.. and TSR.2.. and dayglo paint... and.....................
              Facebook page

Comment

• Stony
                Long haired,tatooed idiot

Originally posted by sopwith.7f1 View Post
                IF there are any remains of the Wyverns etc still there, then does it matter what condition they might be in ?. After all, how many of you would turn your noses up at a large lump of Spitfire, no matter how squashed, burned & corroded it might be ? "exactly, not many of you", so whats the difference if it's a lump of Wyvern, surely the chance of recovering any Wyvern parts is worth the effort, especially given the types rarety.

Bob T.
                It's surely worth a try!!!
                sigpic

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5&l=99e5c42e4d

Comment

• xtangomike
                  Rank 5 Registered User

Originally posted by Tangmere1940 View Post
                  If you want to dig up a Wyvern.....
                  Carefull Andy..I hear there are one or two sharpened spades heading towards Hastings as we speak..Why don't you go and clean out your pool or something as equally useless....XXXX
                  'Where the hell have you been?'

Comment

• Gerry R
                    Rank 5 Registered User

Gosport Aircraft Dump.

Originally posted by daveg4otu View Post
                    I think there may well be some truth in this one.
                    I remember , around 1955, seeing some(half a dozen or more) derilect Fireflies close to a rough track that went along the western side of the airfield.
                    Daveg4otu, Mark12,
                    I am not sure of any Wyvern burial site at the fomer Gosport airfield, (if any), but I agree there was a fenced off aircraft dump area on the western side of the airfield. As kids from nearby Bridgemary, 4 of us managed to squeeze under the double gates to this compound and explore the 5 or 6 aircraft wrecks within. Interestingly, 1 or 2 had neat holes in their front cockpit windscreen panels, about one half inch (12mm) in diameter, these holes revealed the thickness of the glass, at least the same measurement, we unanimously agreed they were bullet holes!!?.

One of the aircraft types was so far off the ground that we could not climb up to inspect the cockpit, I am thinking now if this was the Wyvern and could its remains? still be there?, the other types, we managed to reach the cockpits via the lower height of the wing trailing edge.

All of us were expecting at anytime an MOD Policeman to chase us away, but none appeared, I can only assume it was the year after HMS Siskin had closed. Naval houses were later built in this area, the compound was very near Rowner Church (still extant) which was situated through the boundary hedge and across the old Rowner lane, not far from where we once excitedly explored.

Thanks to Mark and Ollie for bringing this interesting development to our attention.
                    Gerry R

Comment

• Tangmere1940
                      Andy Saunders

Originally posted by xtangomike View Post
                      Carefull Andy..I hear there are one or two sharpened spades heading towards Hastings as we speak..Why don't you go and clean out your pool or something as equally useless....XXXX
                      If I cleaned it out I might find a Browning .303 in it!! Got bored with it standing in my office as the owner shows no sign of coming to collect it...

In fact, if I decide to fill the pool in I shall of course rubbish the notion that anyone would have ever done anything like bury a Browning there....along with all my Wyvern bits!

Comment

• Stan Smith
                        Rank 5 Registered User

Re Lee Howards comment. Gawd 'elp us from ELF 'N' SAFTEE. Otherwise best of luck from NZ. Hope you can proceed and your toils are rewarded.

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                          Rank 5 Registered User

Originally posted by Gerry R View Post
                          Daveg4otu, Mark12,
                          I am not sure of any Wyvern burial site at the fomer Gosport airfield, (if any), but I agree there was a fenced off aircraft dump area on the western side of the airfield. As kids from nearby Bridgemary, 4 of us managed to squeeze under the double gates to this compound and explore the 5 or 6 aircraft wrecks within. Interestingly, 1 or 2 had neat holes in their front cockpit windscreen panels, about one half inch (12mm) in diameter, these holes revealed the thickness of the glass, at least the same measurement, we unanimously agreed they were bullet holes!!?.One of the aircraft types was so far off the ground that we could not climb up to inspect the cockpit, I am thinking now if this was the Wyvern and could its remains? still be there?, the other types, we managed to reach the cockpits via the lower height of the wing trailing edge.

All of us were expecting at anytime an MOD Policeman to chase us away, but none appeared, I can only assume it was the year after HMS Siskin had closed. Naval houses were later built in this area, the compound was very near Rowner Church (still extant) which was situated through the boundary hedge and across the old Rowner lane, not far from where we once excitedly explored.

Thanks to Mark and Ollie for bringing this interesting development to our attention.
                          Gerry R
                          Wyvern S.4 front windscreen armoured panel thickness was 22mm.
                          Last edited by Wyvernfan; 11th November 2012, 12:46.
                          Facebook page

Comment

• Gerry R
                            Rank 5 Registered User

Cockpit front glass panel

Wyvernfan,

Thanks for your illustration, I was a little conservative with the thickness estimate, but the holes certainly amazed us all. When does the re-build start?

Gerry R

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                              Rank 5 Registered User

I'm just jealous that you had access to and managed to climb all over one .

The glass panel i have came from an early S.4, but was sadly sledge hammered into two parts.
                              Facebook page

Comment

• fighterace
                                Rank 5 Registered User

What happened to the Westland Wyvern collision at littlehampdon, thought most of that was still buried in the bog or push back atleast. Not sure quite where it come from but i have a photo of the tail plane on that dig plus one looking down into the wreck plus a report of it sinking into the bog

Comment

• Tangmere1940
                                  Andy Saunders

Indeed, Gareth.

I think about 1977-ish.

I actually lowered the arrester hook assembly and peered down inside the fuselage.

Comment

• fighterace
                                    Rank 5 Registered User

I will have to try and dig out the photo, think i might even have a piece of that one.

Thought most of that was buried still on site together with the engine, you likely pushed most of it back in anyway once you spotted it carried no swasticka
                                    Last edited by fighterace; 11th December 2011, 20:35.

Comment

• Tangmere1940
                                      Andy Saunders

The engine and front end still there, but about 40ft down.

Comment

• fighterace
                                        Rank 5 Registered User

Originally posted by Tangmere1940 View Post
                                        The engine and front end still there, but about 40ft down.
                                        yes not a bad memory, however who would want to dig that deep for one of those............:diablo:

Comment

• Anon
                                          Mike Davey

Deep Wyvern wreck

This one has been mentioned before, however, what intrigues me is, why, when it is supposed to be deep down in a bog wasn't the empty/hollow fuselage full of water?

Was it a Python or Eagle engined version? I'd be prepared to go 40 feet down to get a R-R Eagle.

Just a thought.

Anon.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X