Info & Parts Needed For MK V Altimeter Rebuild

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 3 months

I have just acquired an early MK V altimeter that has been converted into a barometer, which I hope to be able to restore back to it's original form. Does any one have any suitable manuals or drawings for this type of altimeter, or better still have any of the missing parts that I could either purchase or borrow for copying ?.
It was made by T.WHEELER of London, & has had the adjuster knob, gear, & outer dial ring removed "the one with the numbers on".
Other conversions that I have seen, usually still have all the original parts, but with the dial re-painted, & have been modified inside.

Cheer's.

Bob. T

Original post

Member for

17 years 6 months

I have the specification for aneroid altimeter for aeroplanes, Mk VB (0 - 30,000 feet.) dated November 1917.

Is this the vintage of your instrument?

If it is I would like to know the serial number of the instrument.

If it is, the specification indicates that, "The over-all dimensions and the position and size of screw-holes, lettering &c. are to be as shown on Drawing A.B. T. 8/92."

Member for

13 years 3 months

Hi

It is a MK V, which dates from about 1917 onwards.
Number 2386 Q.
The info/parts I am looking for, are the outer dial, & the adjusting/compensating knob & gear.

Cheer's.

Bob. T

Member for

14 years 3 months

T. Wheeler Altimeters :)

Anything like these Bob?;)

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab327/mightyauster/IMG_6640.jpg

It looks like I have Serial Numbers 11142q and 10543q there....

Member for

13 years 3 months

Not quite, the centre/back dial plate on mine, only has the following on it-

THOUSAND FEET
MARK V

T.WHEELER
LONDON
2386 Q

Have you ever removed the outer dial to see if there is another number on the centre/back plate ?.

From what I can tell, mine was converted in the 1950's from a standard Mk V altimeter.

I think the last digit on the serials of your dials are q's "Q", not the number 9.

Cheer's.
Bob.

Ps. I'm still trying to get a shipping cost for those fairings LOL.

Member for

14 years 3 months

Oops! I've just edited the serials. Thanks for pointing that out.
I haven't pulled these apart - I think I will leave that to the professionals when the time comes.

Best regards,

Paul

Member for

17 years 6 months

The Mk VB is obviously a different instrument.
However a gap in my list of WWI instrument manufacturers has been filled.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Red Hot altimeters?

I'd be careful with those bare luminescent faces if I were you AA and Bob. They should be double wrapped in poly bags after being sealed with varnish for safety.

Ingesting just a tiny particle of the decaying luminescent numbers could be very dangerous.

See previous lengthy Forum thread(s) on this matter.

Anon.

Member for

14 years 3 months

I am aware of the "hot" paint on the faces of these instruments. I haven't opened them and seeing I plan to fit them to an airworthy aeroplane, they will be sent to an organisation that can deal with them. Thank you for high lighting the issue though Anon.

Member for

13 years 3 months

Thankfully my Mk V is not the luminous one.
I tend to think that health & safety have gone a bit overboard on the whole radiation thing, whilst it would be a problem if you were constantly exposed to it over a period of time, like those who were painting the dials by hand when they were first made, those who are only exposed to it for a short time, should be OK "I HOPE".

Bob. T

Member for

20 years

new dials

Mk Va,b and c altimeters are the same the difference is the scale. i.e. the Va scale is 0-16,000 the b is 0-20,000 plus (I can't remember exactly) and so on. Guy Black has made new dials for exactly this purpose I am sure he would sell you one.

Member for

13 years 3 months

Cheer's Pat

I'll give Guy a call, I thought he only did the complete instrument.

Bob T.

Member for

15 years 11 months

Hi Bob,
Here are a couple of photos to show the alternatives for the maximum altitute. Do you know what yours was originally?

Robert M.

Attachments

Member for

13 years 3 months

Hi Robert

Only just seen your post "OOP'S".

It looks like my altimeter was originally a MK V.

Cheer's.
Bob T.

Member for

13 years 1 month

While we're on the subject of old instruments, does anyone have any ideas on removing the bezel on a MkIV ASI? I need to get to the spindle the pointer is mouted on but the bezel won't turn.