"Sea Fury" Riff Raff in Reykjavik 13.09.2011

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

I´ve not seen any mention of this on the forum, but Reno modified Sea Fury Riff Raff stopped in Reykjavik on it´s ferry flight from the US to the Czech Republic. It arrived at around 17:20 local time on the 12th and left around 10:00 local on the 13th. It´s destination was Egilstadir on the east coast of Iceland, and from there it was headed to Norway. The general understanding is that the aircraft has been sold to the Czeck Republic, but I don´t know if that is true.

Baldur Sveinsson captured the arrival and departure, and his photos can be seen on this link: http://www.verslo.is/baldur/20110912_SeaFury/

Original post

Member for

20 years 8 months

Confirmed to Czech Republic.

Member for

20 years 1 month

No extra fuel tanks... !!!

Member for

20 years 1 month

I thought it was a joke when it was reported on a norwegian aviation forum that a Sea Fury stayed overnight at Sola, Stavanger last night..
That is a very rare visitor..!

-
E

Member for

20 years 1 month

Thanks for the "heads-up" and the excellent photographs. Adds a lot of fuel to the debate about "do warbirds look good in civil schemes". Not 'arf.

Member for

13 years 2 months

Reminds my of Ormond Hayden-Bailey's ferry flight of his Sea Fury from Canada to the UK. He did a report of it in FlyPast at the time. One point was that he was alarmed to see smoke pouring out behind the aircraft, only to realise that it was a contrail caused by the exhaust gasses freezing in the cold air at the height he was flying at to reduce fuel burn.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Sounds more like Rob Lamplough -Ormond was sadly deceased a good few years before FlyPast came on the scene.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Or maybe Norman Lees, who i think was Robs ferry pilot for that one!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes indeed -I do recall the article trying to date it at maybe 1985 ish!

Member for

16 years 8 months

Fantastic looking example, thanks for posting the news and the link to those superb photos.

Member for

18 years 5 months

Its nice to see another of the type in Europe. The inevitable question is 'Will we see it at Legends?'

Member for

20 years 7 months

Reminds my of Ormond Hayden-Bailey's ferry flight of his Sea Fury from Canada to the UK. He did a report of it in FlyPast at the time. One point was that he was alarmed to see smoke pouring out behind the aircraft, only to realise that it was a contrail caused by the exhaust gasses freezing in the cold air at the height he was flying at to reduce fuel burn.

As soon as I read your first sentence I was sure of what you were going to say next, I to will always remember his report.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Sounds more like Rob Lamplough -Ormond was sadly deceased a good few years before FlyPast came on the scene.

Nope, I am pretty sure Flypast was around for a few years before.

Edit, as sure as I was, you are right about the time line :o, '77 and '81. Maybe it was in Aviation News ? because I am sure (there I go again) it was about OHB's Sea Fury.

Member for

20 years 1 month

OHB was lost in the Cavalier Mustang I-BILL in Germany in 1977, just after his display at RIAT, Greenham Common

FlyPast first appeared in 1981.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Control Column ( only the radical hardcore will remember that ! ) ran a nice piece by OHB on his transatlantic flight, and his arrival at Prestwick, not forgetting the high speed pass which detached the anti-slip strip at the wing root!

At a guess, it was about 1974.

Just found that the anti-slip strip actually came off at San Diego, not as stated.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Count me as "hardcore" then! My dad still has loads of CC's in his loft!

Member for

13 years 2 months

Def O.H-B. Pretty sure it was FlyPast, but other magazines are/were available...:rolleyes:

Member for

19 years 3 months

In a previous scheme...Oshkosh 2005

Member for

24 years 3 months

Any info available regarding its routing and possible (fuel) stops between Sola and the Czech Republic?

Member for

19 years 8 months

Are we sure it is not Douglas "Wrong Way" Corrigan on his way to Reno for the races..?

T J