Spitfire 2

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Another one from my collection, bit sadder this time. Similar questions!
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3c66b5a70696216a.jpg

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Spitfire 2

I reckon it's the ex-Roland Frassinet owned PRXI (I spy a retractable tailwheel) PL983(?) at an air race in the South in the mid-eighties.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I'd agree about the identity and who she was owned by at the time. She was later restored by the now late Martin Sargeant, who, because of a bunch of idiots who were where they shouldn't have been, sadly died trying to land her safely in France last year. A tragic and totally unnecessary waste of life.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I agree entirely, that was an absolute abomination. I had some fool on another discussion board try to tell me it wasnt the fault of those idiots.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Indeed.

The aircraft participated in the first race od the ressurrected DEC Schneider Trophy air race. I got in, on account of the race organiser driving his car into my student Mini whilst waiting to board the IOW ferry!

Access to this beautiful spitfire was a sheer pleasure. I have a photo of her flying in it, but it is bery much a speck of dust sadly in a big expanse of sky. This aircraft was flown post war by the famous ATA pilot Lettice Curtis.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Heres somthing creepy. I was thinking about her, while standing in the tower at Hendon. Shortly afterwards she met her fate.

Hendon of course is where she was delivered to the Americans.