MkIII Stirling Nose Art

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 5 months

Hi all
I'm half way through painting a Short Stirling Mk III and am about to add the markings. To add interest I want to illustrate an aircraft which had nose art and the later red lettering.
The trouble I am now finding is that I have checked every source I have access to and all those with nose art seem to be MkIs or IVs. The only pictures of MkIIIs with nose art that I have found are from 199 Sqn. This would do but they were an ECM Sqn and ideally I would like to portray a standard bomber squadron.
Is any one able to assist with a picture of a suitable example?
Thanks in advance
Steve

Original post

Member for

16 years 8 months

will see what I can find,have you asked the Stirling Project? They have an excellent photographic archive which I`m sure would contain a useful photo.

Member for

16 years 11 months

I'll get our Chairman to have a look for you :)

Member for

16 years 8 months

[ATTACH]199072[/ATTACH] Mk 3...not sure which squadron

Member for

14 years 2 months

Don't have the details of the nose art but MkIII LJ543 EX-J of 199 Sqn had a 'Jane' on the nose and the red serials.

Member for

13 years 3 months

wasn`t ""MC`Roberts reply"" a Stirling that had the name on two different aircraft because the first got struck off after squashing a Spitfire

Member for

17 years 5 months

Thanks guys, appreciate the help

Member for

19 years 4 months

wasn`t ""MC`Roberts reply"" a Stirling that had the name on two different aircraft because the first got struck off after squashing a Spitfire

The original MacRobert's Reply was N6086, a Mark I. It was repaired after the accident and went to 1651 HCU. Its 'replacement' was W7531, which was also a Mark I.

Mark III's with Nose Art (c/o Stirling Wings - J Falconer 1995)

The Last Dip in Golden Fleece - LK619 - 1332 HCU
The Nuthouse - EE963 - 149 Sqn
The Gremlin Teaser - LJ542 - 199 Sqn
Barneys' Bull - ??? 199 Sqn
Jolly Roger - LJ525
En Avant LJ513
Te Kooti BK611
Midgley's Flying Circus LS-?, 15 Sqn

Hope this helps...and could we see the finished article?!

Regards

Daniel

Member for

13 years 3 months

its funny coz i had started a Stirling painting about 2 months ago but had to stall it due to work and hols etc. i may start again soon though to see how different weve approached the subject in our own ways

Member for

17 years 5 months

Thanks for your responses guys. Plenty of ideas but accuracy is important to me so still ideally need an image showing the positioning of the art with known sqn code.
The painting is still a few weeks away but I will post a copy here for you all to take a look at.
cheers, Steve

Member for

13 years 7 months

From Bowyer's 'Stirling Story'

Attachments

Member for

16 years 8 months

I`ve seen a photo somewhere of a Triceratops(dinosaur) painted on (I think)..a Mk3 nose,looked very good,will see if I can locate it.

Member for

17 years 5 months

Well it's taken a lot longer than I thought and, although I had plenty of help and suggestions, I never did find an actual full photo (with reg etc) of a Main Force Mklll with nose art. So in the end went for a Pathfinder. I was hoping to portray a very early morning arrival back at base. Photo attached for info of all those who gave help. Thanks again. Steve

http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=204342&stc=1&d=1333228582

Attachments

Member for

13 years 3 months

WOW thats fantastic, far better than any of the other Stirling works ive seen over the years.. i love the angle, the light and the fact you have gone out of your way to choose a harder position to portray the aircraft in than the usual of the shelf photo`s to copy. its not often as an artist myself that i covet someone else`s work but this is "one of the few" (excuse the pun)

Member for

19 years 4 months

Congratulations, that is a wonderful piece of artwork. A very different angle that really shows off the long lines of the Stirling very well.

I don’t suppose it be generally available as a print?

ds

Member for

16 years 8 months

Wow !! love the shadow detailing too !!!

Member for

17 years 5 months

Thanks for your kind words guys. Doc, in answer to your question, I have actually painted it for this years Guild Of Aviation Artists Exhibition but may get prints done afterwards...cheers Steve