Iraqi Bristol Beaufighters

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

In "Insignia" magazine Number 17 there is an article on the Royal Iraqi Air Force. In it there is mention of the use of ten beaufighter Mk10 aircraft in 1953.
What is Known of these aircraft, what was their serial numbers?
What happened to them?

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Iraqi Bristol Beaufighters

I have absolutely no idea, but you've certainly got my full attention!

To the best of my knowledge, the only Beaufighters which served in that area of the world were four TFX's which the fledgling Israeli Air Force managed to 'acquire' in 1948. There's quite a story attached to this, which I won't bore you with at the moment (unless people would like me to, of course!). There are some rumours floating around that the Israeli's also had a MkII.

As far as I'm aware, the only other non-Commonwealth post-war Beaufighter users were Portugal and the Dominican Republic both of who operated TFX's. Incidentally, the three static musuem examples in Canada and the UK are all ex-Portuguese TFX's; RD253 at Hendon, RD220 at East Fortune, and RD867 at Rockliffe Ontario.

Of course, I'd be dlighted to be proved wrong about the existence of any Iraqi Beaufighters, especially if there's any chance of discovering another survivor to add to this rare breed!!

Steve (Beaufighter afficionado. Can you tell?)

Member for

24 years 3 months

for all isreali stuff check out this site, it has great stuff on just about every plane in isreali service

http://www.geocities.com/skythe_99/

any comments on it just ask for skythe onAFM fourm as its his site

rabie :9

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks
Yes I have the details with regard to the IDFAF Beaufighters.
Tried to tell the Israelis about the serial numbers,ie one being in error, but it went unheard as did my note to them with regard to the serial number of thew Mosquito that was shot down.But there you go.
Israeli Beaufighters were;
LZ185 - G-AJMG - D.173
RD135 - G-AJMB - D.170
RD427 - G-AJMD - D.172
RD448 - G-AJMC - D.171
ND929 - G-AJME, crashed in UK pilot Campbell killed.
NV306 - G-AJMF, Scrapped in UK.

Now, come on you Lancmen,ND9259 was a Lancaster.
The a/c G-AJME was most surely NT929 which was previously "PL-Z" of 144 Sqdn.
Also RD437 was first thought to have been G-AJMD but at some later date this was rectified to RD427.

The DH Mosquito from 13 squadron always reported as VL625 in books and articles about the IDFAF was actually VL620 a/c "M" of 13 Squadron. VL625 crashed at Tangmere on 21/08/50.
Attached (hopefully) is an illisration of an Israeli Beaufighter.
Note the Black and Yellow Stripes,not 1956 but much earlier.
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/Beaufiter

Member for

24 years 3 months

Sorry about the print. It didn't happen.
I'll try again.
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3c688895153ebdfd.jpg