The New "Wot Plane" Thread (For The Rules Of The Game, See Post #1)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 7 months

Twin boom monoplane-

Attachments

Member for

13 years 7 months

Initially designed as a racer.

Member for

16 years 8 months

It looks as if this thread is on its last legs. Many of the regular participants appear to have departed the scene. There seems to be little appetite to contribute new images. But in what is probably a vain attempt to breathe life into a dead corpse, here's an easy one.

Attachments

Member for

16 years

It is the Heston A.2/45. Perhaps some easier ones will revive participation.

Member for

16 years 8 months

You're right - and I hope that you're right. Maybe posting something that's more 'accessible', and then exercising a FHB approach, will encourage new participants. But I shan't hold my breath whilst waiting! But in the meantime, over to you, RAB.

Member for

19 years 6 months

You're right - and I hope that you're right. Maybe posting something that's more 'accessible'.

As a long time occasional reader of this thread, you're right.
It comes across as an inside joke among a few people with photos of one-off prototypes, third world oddities and Baltic states airliners of the 30s. :)

Perhaps a re-think of this thread could teach readers something...
Lord knows GA, helicopters and non-UK production types could use some exposure here.

And perhaps add a bit of text to the photos....like the Texas/Aerodyne is a modified Bell 47 (with a "no bar" rotor mod) with a narrow cabin for AG work, then modified into a poor man's Cobra.

Perhaps change the game so someone who finds something can share it with a group of people that are interested in seeing more than Spitfires/Lancasters/Mustangs?

Member for

16 years

There is information on the web for anyone who wants to follow up on the Heston, but J. Boyle has a good point for more obscure machines.

This one ought to be easy also.

Attachments

Member for

16 years 3 months

Just to get this thread back to the top of the forum I guess its a Canadian Vickers Viking IV ( and the photo is mirror imaged)

Member for

16 years 3 months

Canadian as in, in Canada, not built by Canadian Vickers

Member for

16 years

Absolutely. Yours, if the thread is going to stay alive.

Several marks of Vikings were built in the early '20's, and were used in small numbers in half a dozen countries besides Canada. Canadian Vickers did build some.

Member for

16 years 3 months

OK, this may be a little obscure but there is a link to my personal aviation obsession, which may act as a clue

Attachments

Member for

14 years 7 months

The De Bernardi M.d.B.02 Aeroscooter from Italy.

No idea, what the link to your obsession is (aviation related to the "Coupe d'Aviation Maritime Jacques Schneider" I suppose). :o

Al

Member for

16 years 3 months

Well that didn't last long.

De Bernardi flew the winning Macchi M39 in the 1926 Schneider contest and was an Italian team member flying a Macchi M52 in 1927. He took the world air speed record in the M52 in 1927 and again in 1928 with the M52R.

Over to you.

Member for

14 years 7 months

Thank You!

Now try this...

Attachments

Member for

16 years 8 months

Got to be a G.4/31, thinking Parnall?

Member for

14 years 7 months

Thinking right!

The Parnall G.4/31 along with it's numerous contenders was intended to be the Swiss Army Knife among warplane types, being capable of day- and night bombing, dive-bombing, overland reconnaissance, army cooperation, aerial photography, torpedo bombing, coastal reconnaissance and delivering pizza as required by Specification G.4/31.
Not surprisingly no production contracts resulted for any of the contenders except for the Vickers 253, which was later canceled in favor of the Vickers Wellesley.

Background-Information-Delivering-Mission accomplished!
All information (except the pizza-thing) from the book "Parnall Aircraft since 1914" by Kenneth Wixey, source of the picture here.

Over to you, pagen01.

Al

Member for

16 years 8 months

Thanks Al, I just love that period of single engined heavy biplane, first thought was the Vickers contender - I can't post another tonight but will try by tomorrow PM!

Member for

16 years 8 months

I'm not going to be able to provide anything in a timely manner - open house!