Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New "Wot Plane" Thread (For The Rules Of The Game, See Post #1)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • avion ancien
    Rank 5 Registered User

You took the words right out of my mouth, dan_pub!

I note that, at least so far, no action has been taken on the suggestion. I wonder whether J Boyle will do so - or will this be example of someone who complains about something that they don't like but does nothing about it, despite having the means to do so? Hopefully not.

I, for one, would welcome a new thread along the lines J Boyle has suggested. But there's no reason for it to be at the expense of an existing thread that is open to all even if, sadly, it does not see wider participation.

As to this thread, I see no arbitrariness in the rules. Yes, I suppose it is a bit of a game. But it can be an educational game if people wish to be educated. And as with any game, rules are required for it to function successfully. The rules here are simple but necessary. And in this respect, perhaps they reflect the rules which govern this forum generally.

Comment

• Canuck
      Rank 5 Registered User

Ditto, to our Anglo-french correspondent.

If you notice, Mr. Boyle - the time period twixt posts can be as much as 2 days... we all check it, I'm guessing, but unless there's something to add, or TIME from RL to research, and modify a photo... it lies fallow for a bit.

As a relative "newb" to the thread, I'm fine with the format - MY "anorak" fits just fine, as Winter is indeed here in The Great White North. :diablo:

Comment

• J Boyle
        With malice towards none

Originally posted by dan_pub View Post
        How about you create your own thread with whatever rules you see as superior?
        We don't need several threads doing the same thing.
        But look at these posts, this thread has become a de facto private domain of a half dozen people. I'm just rying to open it up.

I'm sorry to have intruded on your private domain.
        There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• Canuck
          Rank 5 Registered User

Originally posted by J Boyle View Post
          We don't need several threads doing the same thing.
          But look at these posts, this thread has become a de facto private domain of a half dozen people. I'm just rying to open it up.

Not my private domain... nor anyone else's, dude. yerself

Comment

• avion ancien
            Rank 5 Registered User

Originally posted by J Boyle View Post
            Come and join us! The more the merrier. This thread is neither private nor exclusive. Even if many - like me - can't identify the bulk of the images of the aircraft that are posted, I learn something when they are identified and often 'open house' is called which gives a chance to others to post an image that hopefully is interesting, challenging and stimulating.

As far as I'm aware, on this forum there isn't a thread on which people can post something new/odd/seldom seen that they have found. A bit like a general notice board. But maybe the reason for that is that it would be seen as too diverse and wide ranging. As things stand, if I come across something new, unusual or rare, I tend to start a new thread on this subject. Then those scanning the list of threads will be made aware of the subject without having to go into a 'general' thread to see whether there might be something there of interest to them.

Oh, and to get back to the reason for this thread, I can't identify the aeroplane in post #538. But what's new!
            Last edited by avion ancien; 8th December 2011, 17:55. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• RAB
              RAB
              Rank 5 Registered User

Everyone can participate, the rules are not particularly onerous. And the machine is Japanese - Kawanishi K-10 I think.

Comment

• Ivan d'Terrible
                Rank 5 Registered User

I'm getting that feeling of deja vu again! (I seem to recall that the last person who called for change was... hmmmm, let me see..... dan_pub [not so elitist, wasn't it?])

Doesn't matter what the format, there's always someone who wants it to be something else.......or is it the American concept that if you cannot 'win' the game, you invent one that you can win and nobody else wants to play (eg Gridiron, NASCAR, baseball, anything involving jumping motorcycles.....and my favourite.... changing Rallying into Crashing [refer Ken Block])

Here endeth the analysis of the major failing of democracy!

Ba Humbug!

and..... NO, I don't want to change my money into Euros! (As Karl Marx might have said ..... Ah ha....told you so!)

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....... ...

(That should cover just about everything for the rest of the year)
                Last edited by Ivan d'Terrible; 8th December 2011, 22:43.

Comment

• dhc2pilot
                  Rank 5 Registered User

How about NEW rules where anyone who finds something new/odd/seldom seen can post it?

In a perfect world that would be great. I've seen forums spin hopelessly out of control where a certain individual would post 8 or 10 aircraft at a time and before even half of them were identified another 5 or 6 would get posted. Other people would try to post one and it would get lost in the mix. No one could seem to keep track of which ones were answered or by whom. Complete chaos. The only way a forum such as this can maintain any sense of normality is through the use of 'rules'. I'm not saying that I agree with all of them, but I didn't start this thread, so if I'm going to play I play by the rules set forth by the forum admin. Simple. Straightforward.

Now, back to our WOT. And RAB hits the nail on the head. Over to you sir!!

Comment

• Ivan d'Terrible
                    Rank 5 Registered User

And what became of that 'certain individual' ?

Was it a complete withdrawal from aviation fora, or has a new persona materialized ?

Or perhaps he just imploded ?

One can only hope!

Comment

• RAB
                      RAB
                      Rank 5 Registered User

dhc - I know the forum you are referring to - a complete shambles. But here is the next one. The pilot can be identified too.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• dan_pub
                        Rank 5 Registered User

Hmmm. The wing support structure feels very Morane, but the tail doesn't fit.

Comment

• John Aeroclub
                          Rank 5 Registered User

It looks like a re-engined Bristol M1.c (Wright J.5). Could the pilot be Lt Godoy?
                          One of the reasons folk go open house is that it takes time to find and scan and then transfer to a photo achive, a 'rare' subject and some of the subjects are exceedingly rare. I for one have a lot less free time these days, and for someone who perhaps should have retired 4 years ago that says a lot.

John

Comment

• RAB
                            RAB
                            Rank 5 Registered User

Right except for the pilot. The picture (a different version) comes with the information Army flier on air jaunt. Photo shows Lt. G.S. Haberle, beside the bullet-like monoplane he will fly on a transcontinental flight from Quincy MA to San Diego CA to join the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Lexington. The plane, a British fighting-type model, was rebuilt at the Squantum Airport, from which he takes off November 1. 11-1-29.

I have no idea if he actually did it.

Yours. John.

Comment

• John Aeroclub
                              Rank 5 Registered User

There was one M.1 sold to America, of which I've never seen any info on and it gets the merest mention in Barnes 'Bristol Aircraft. It looks rather nice with the J.5 Whirlwind. I'll have to declare open house as I have a pile of orders to finish.

John
                              Last edited by John Aeroclub; 9th December 2011, 19:48.

Comment

• avion ancien
                                Rank 5 Registered User

As the house has been open for nearly two days, I had hoped that someone like J Boyle would have seized the opportunity to participate. But as this does not seem to be the case and as no-one else has stepped up to the mark, may I make the following humble offering for the consideration of the few who now seem to frequent these parts.
                                Attached Files

Comment

• wilkofife
                                  Rank 5 Registered User

Quite a few of us frequenting, dear boy, but not so many of us have the answers ! (as in this case.......)

Comment

• wout
                                    Rank 5 Registered User

Hi A.A.
                                    the unique roadable Lebouder 2-seat Autoplane (F-PTES) by Mr. Robert Lebouder. He used a small Vespa 400 car and the Vespa`s wheels could be removed with the front ones then being used on the aircraft `s undercarriage. Transformation was claimed to take some 30-35 minutes. The engine in the nose was a 100hp Continental O-200-A

Comment

• avion ancien
                                      Rank 5 Registered User

I'm impressed, wout! If you have any more information about this aeroplane, maybe you can help Mr Lebouder's daughter. You'll find her appeal at http://www.rsafrance.com/index.php?o...&Itemid=100116. But in the meantime, control is yours.

Comment

• wout
                                        Rank 5 Registered User

This one was intended as ag-plane and as sport aircraft. Only a single example was built.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• tdl
                                          tdl
                                          Rank 5 Registered User

Good Morning!

If I'm not totally off the track this could be the Kensgaila VK-8 AURA.

Thomas

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X